is it worth 15 extra hours to fly Qatar vs Delta?

Hyde Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NRA,CowBoy Fast Draw
looking at next April to SA, I will have to fly out of Sioux Falls, SD on American Airlines to Fort Worth in order to fly Qatar and the flight to Joburg will be 37 hours not counting the time from SD. If I fly Delta thru Atlanta the flight will be 22 hours plus the flight time from SD. the price is only 300.00 less on Qatar than Delta (flying economy, possible to upgrade to comfort plus on both airlines), so is it worth the extra 15 hours on Qatar? The nice thing about Delta is I can get a direct flight from SD to Atlanta if I don't mind leaving at 5:30 am, for the Qatar flight I will have to fly American Airlines from SD to Fort Worth then get my bags and gun case and then get on Qatar. thoughts? thanks Jim

First Eco is Eco. That said Qatar I think might be nicer. I say, I think as I only have B Class experience on Qatar. I do have Eco & Business on Emirates. Emirates Eco beats hand down any USA carrier on service & food and would suspect Qatar is on par with Emirates. For the $300 price difference I would prefer to fly direct. Now, if you were getting a long day-time layover in Doha and have time for a Day tour, I would take the Doha stop.

A direct flight to Atlanta, while nice, is not critical, especially when it creates a 10-12 hour layover in Atlanta. Take a later flight, even if it means going through MSP. If you have 3-4 hours to connect in Atlanta, you will be fine.

Flying economy I'd go Delta.

I flew economy on Qatar 2 years ago and it was miserable.

If I'm going to be miserable the less amount of time the better.

Flew Qatar once, Q Suite to Joburg through Doha and premium economy on the return. On the return, arriving in Doha, walking through the cheap seats, it looked like the nose bleed section after a Philadelphia Eagles game. I couldn't take a step without stepping on trash. Never saw anything like it.
Having said that, I'd take Delta, especially if taking rifles.

is it worth the extra 15 hours on Qatar?
No. I've done it once each way. The extra 15 hrs traveling is miserable, even considering Qatar is a better airline.

If Qatar is the Only choice like it was in 2021, then sure. They did a good job. (FWIW I flew business class both times.)

I did the Qatar economy DFW-DOH-JNB- Harare in July and I can honestly say it was my worst flight experience to date…. And I’m no stranger to long flights.

All the economy seats are packed because of all different LARGE families flying home to India with the massive suitcases.

I arrived 4hrs before boarding and walked up to the gate just in time to board; worst check in process I’ve ever experienced.

Bottom line, if your in business class then by all means it would be fine, but I’ll never do it in economy again.

Ask Delta if they will fly your DG trophies back home.

If they won't, then ask yourself why should they carry you?

Fly delta. I flew Qatar this year to try it out. It’s nice but not worth the added travel time. However, the biggest reason I’d say to fly delta is because your aren’t checking in at a Qatar hub. You’ll need to fly American to Dallas, pick up your guns at baggage claim, then recheck with Qatar while watching the clock. It’s not worth the added hassle when delta is a good option. Check in at delta at your home airport and you are good to Johannesburg.

I did the Qatar economy DFW-DOH-JNB- Harare in July and I can honestly say it was my worst flight experience to date…. And I’m no stranger to long flights.

All the economy seats are packed because of all different LARGE families flying home to India with the massive suitcases.

I arrived 4hrs before boarding and walked up to the gate just in time to board; worst check in process I’ve ever experienced.

Bottom line, if your in business class then by all means it would be fine, but I’ll never do it in economy again.
I’m not going to say it was my worst flight because it was fine, but I made the same observations with the large Indian families and kids. Delta is primarily adult American tourists and definitely easier to check in with a firearm.

thanks everyone for the reply's, I was trying to avoid a second airline to MSP or Fort Worth but it is the only choice other than United. did the direct Delta flight last year to Alt but the 13 hour layover was a killer and had to leave home at 2:30 am for the 5:30 flight, sure makes a long day. so I think I will fly Delta and try to get comfort Plus or premium economy

thanks everyone for the reply's, I was trying to avoid a second airline to MSP or Fort Worth but it is the only choice other than United. did the direct Delta flight last year to Alt but the 13 hour layover was a killer and had to leave home at 2:30 am for the 5:30 flight, sure makes a long day. so I think I will fly Delta and try to get comfort Plus or premium economy
Is there a reason you don’t drive to MSP to avoid second airline? Not that far between airports 3.5 hours.

Last edited:
15 hours of miserable air travel to save $300 on what should be a fun vacation. Not a chance I take that deal.

I’m not being a smart ass or aloof or better than anyone else; my time off is worth way more than $20/hr.

As a guy in the trades, I used to get asked all the time to do work on the side. People wanted to pay $20 cash. My reply was “if you don’t like what I charge Mondays through Fridays, you really won’t like what I charge to work nights and weekends.”

Again, for $20 an hour, why have a crappy experience?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stencilmonkey

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]