Is Bigger Always Better?

I'm not sure anyone ever gets "comfortable" shooting big bore rifles. We just learn to put up with getting the shit kicked out of us.

It depends on what you mean by feeling "comfortable". It's normal that you have to concentrate more on the shot than with a smaller caliber rifle, but you should not be too tense when pulling the trigger. This has negative consequences on the accuracy of the shot. This is particularly important when practicing on the shooting range, especially when you shoot with the rifle on a bench. Things look then different in the field by hunting when you no longer concentrate on some of the side effects by shooting big bores. Shooting big bores remains hard work, that is right, although there are some differences whether you shoot with a rifle caliber 416 or with one caliber 458 and above, but imho with sufficient practice you can handle a rifle caliber 416 Rigby so well that you ultimately feel almost "comfortable" with it.

Another 1-shot kill to add to your stats. While it was *only* a cow, 1 shot from my 9.3x62 with a 286 gr A Frame had her giving her death bellow just a few seconds after I shot her.

That said, I am bringing my 404 Jeff next time I go after nyati.

I'm not sure anyone ever gets "comfortable" shooting big bore rifles. We just learn to put up with getting the shit kicked out of us.

That is one way to think about it. Another way is to think "this rifle is going to move me a lot, and instead of fighting it I will go with it."

Usually, recoil only hurts when we fight against it. It's that wierd tense/relaxed state that we need to be in for a lot of tasks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryannHau

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]