Is Bigger Always Better?

I'm not sure anyone ever gets "comfortable" shooting big bore rifles. We just learn to put up with getting the shit kicked out of us.

It depends on what you mean by feeling "comfortable". It's normal that you have to concentrate more on the shot than with a smaller caliber rifle, but you should not be too tense when pulling the trigger. This has negative consequences on the accuracy of the shot. This is particularly important when practicing on the shooting range, especially when you shoot with the rifle on a bench. Things look then different in the field by hunting when you no longer concentrate on some of the side effects by shooting big bores. Shooting big bores remains hard work, that is right, although there are some differences whether you shoot with a rifle caliber 416 or with one caliber 458 and above, but imho with sufficient practice you can handle a rifle caliber 416 Rigby so well that you ultimately feel almost "comfortable" with it.
 
Another 1-shot kill to add to your stats. While it was *only* a cow, 1 shot from my 9.3x62 with a 286 gr A Frame had her giving her death bellow just a few seconds after I shot her.

That said, I am bringing my 404 Jeff next time I go after nyati.
 
I'm not sure anyone ever gets "comfortable" shooting big bore rifles. We just learn to put up with getting the shit kicked out of us.

That is one way to think about it. Another way is to think "this rifle is going to move me a lot, and instead of fighting it I will go with it."

Usually, recoil only hurts when we fight against it. It's that wierd tense/relaxed state that we need to be in for a lot of tasks.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,413
Messages
1,575,387
Members
170,305
Latest member
JessieKopp
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top