Is 2300 fps too slow for 375 H&H 300 gr solid?

KTMpilot

Reaction score
Member of
PHASA, BASA, SA Wingshooters
Hunted
South Africa
Yet another thread about muzzle velocity, please forgive me. I am asking for some advice, and please if I may state up front: I am not looking for alternate bullet or propellant suggestions, I am like many reloaders worldwide at the moment bound to what I can get reliably and regularly at the moment where I live, so I am asking for some inputs about what I have to work with, as follows:

I need a new load for my 375 H&H P.H. backup rifle, and what I have loaded is this-

24" Savage 116 rifle; 1:12 twist
Impala Round Nose PH-Range Non-expanding Solids, 300 gr; BC: 0.350
63,1 gr IMR 4350
100,1% Case Fill Ratio
Amount of Propellant Burnt: 93.98%
Quickload muzzle velocity: 2294 fps

I have always followed an old rule of thumb for 375 H&H of 300 gr at 2500 fps, but in this case, the maximum I can get is 2300 fps, limited by case capacity. It may be that the BC of the round nose solids is just prohibitive of getting 2500 fps of course too. I have not yet tried a compressed load, and have not at yet chrony'ed the load, nor done any wet pack or other penetration tests.

So my question, and I know it is a "how long is a piece of string" question, is if 2300 fps is maybe just too slow for penetration on anything that can trample, can anyone maybe say out of hand?

IMG_3613.JPEG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlsautomation

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia
TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!