Iron Sights. Yes or no?

A barrel without a ramp and foresight looks ofd. And an express rear with a folding leaf is so 'correct'.
It depends on the caliber I think. Open sights on a .270, .30-06, 7 mm mag, .300 mag, or any caliber that frankly will never be used without a scope look "clunky." I also find the front sight in the scope to be distracting. My 7 Rem Mag had irons on it, but after a couple of seasons of hanging the irons up while trying to get around in the incredibly dense California chaparrel, I took them off. My .30-06, 7-08 and .300 Win Mag all look cleaner without them.
Now my .458 does have iron express sights with a folding leaf, and a quick detachable low power scope. On my first safari it had a 1-4 but that have up the ghost before my next buffalo hunt now it wears a 1.5-5. Quite satisfactory, and it looks right. I think the 9.3 or anything larger that could be used on dangerous game should be outfitted this way.

Last update. I just got my rife back from the gunsmith and I'm very happy with the results. I buckled like a cheap card table and had the iron sights added at the last minute. No regrets. I'll post a pic in a new thread I'm going to start describing my experience with the gunsmith. Stay tuned.

Very interested in all the gory details... :)

It depends, for my M1A and wood stock rifle, I love iron sights on them.

Question: Isn't a ghost ring rear that attaches to the rear sight base a reasonable alternative? Seems like that would be a better solution for older eyes. Rifle is a CZ550 9.3x62.

Question 2: Who does reliable work and has a quick turnaround time should someone decide to go that route?
I have one of those ghost ring mounts for my CZ 9.3x 62 FS. I believe I got it from NECG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay A Huminsky

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg