Interesting conversation with Ruger

Sad and frustrating isn't it?

Yes it was, it was just a year or so ago they had sale on m77s in .416 Ruger, .375 for .4000 NOK, ( but with license application and " + limit size on how many hunt gus to to have it was hopeless)

One could question what a importer is up to, no whole spectrum of nr 1s and 77 etc. And i know i was not the only one looking for one either then.

I'd love to see the RSM's come back, particularly in left-handed versions. Since there's no magnum-length version of the Hawkeye action, I guess I could settle for .375 and .416 Ruger and .458WM. I like the original African and Alaskan models and have one of each in .375 Ruger. As far as I know, they've never made lefty rifles in .416 Ruger, or anything bigger than .375 for that matter.

Basically, my ideal would be all of the features of the original RSM's, but with the bolt on the proper side. While I'm dreaming, adding a drop box magazine, moving the front sight back, and threading them in a normal thread pitch so I can use a suppressor would be nice. Not sure WTH they were thinking with the goofy 5/8-18 threading on their current rifles, either make it 5/8-24 or just move the sight back and don't thread it from the factory so I can get it done how I want it.

They'd probably sell about eight of these in a lefty version, so it won't happen. I'd buy one of each in .416 and .458 just on general principle, assuming good quality and a semi-reasonable price.

I'd love to see the RSM's come back, particularly in left-handed versions. Since there's no magnum-length version of the Hawkeye action, I guess I could settle for .375 and .416 Ruger and .458WM. I like the original African and Alaskan models and have one of each in .375 Ruger. As far as I know, they've never made lefty rifles in .416 Ruger, or anything bigger than .375 for that matter.

Basically, my ideal would be all of the features of the original RSM's, but with the bolt on the proper side. While I'm dreaming, adding a drop box magazine, moving the front sight back, and threading them in a normal thread pitch so I can use a suppressor would be nice. Not sure WTH they were thinking with the goofy 5/8-18 threading on their current rifles, either make it 5/8-24 or just move the sight back and don't thread it from the factory so I can get it done how I want it.

They'd probably sell about eight of these in a lefty version, so it won't happen. I'd buy one of each in .416 and .458 just on general principle, assuming good quality and a semi-reasonable price.
Pretty sure they'd sell more than 8 just to guys on here alone, lol, but I get what you are saying. Message them and let them know what you'd like to see. The more they hear, the more likely they are to do even a limited run every few years.
I think you will find the reason for the threading is to keep numbskulls from screwing on .30 cal suppressors and blowing them up:A Blowup:Should be adaptors out there to make it work assuming your suppressor is sized correctly.

Pretty sure they'd sell more than 8 just to guys on here alone, lol, but I get what you are saying. Message them and let them know what you'd like to see. The more they hear, the more likely they are to do even a limited run every few years.
I think you will find the reason for the threading is to keep numbskulls from screwing on .30 cal suppressors and blowing them up:A Blowup:Should be adaptors out there to make it work assuming your suppressor is sized correctly.

There are lots of ways for numbskulls to blow up suppressors in the current market, so one more really wouldn't hurt. My method of numbskull risk mitigation is to use different mounts. My big bore can is a .458, everything over .30 caliber gets a Griffin taper mount. .30 and under are either Keymo or TBAC CB mounts. If that's their concern, I'd prefer that they had gone with 11/16-24 like they did on the Ruglin 1895's; at least there are a few adapters out there for that threading.

One of my .375's is currently sitting at the gunsmith's. It wasn't factory threaded and he's having a fight with the front sight trying to get it off without destroying it. It would probably be easier to cut the current sight and buy a new one, which is probably where we'll end up.

I considered seeing if I could just get a replacement barrel from Ruger that was already threaded, but a 5/8-18 taper mount would be a custom job, and likely fairly expensive. A direct thread would be much simpler, but I'd still need to either thread my barrel or buy a different one. There was really no cheap or easy option for this project. At least the one I'm getting threaded is stainless, so I don't have to worry about refinishing, just bead blast it and call it a day.

Guys our market is small and there is no money in it for ruger or other brands. The only way it works for us and them is a custom Shop. If you try that route we may get somewhere. But be ready for the price.

Guys our market is small and there is no money in it for ruger or other brands. The only way it works for us and them is a custom Shop. If you try that route we may get somewhere. But be ready for the price.
It's small, but it's not that small. They already have the Hawkeye in .300wm and .375 Ruger, it would not be a big investment to chamber them in everything that fits in those 2 already, mostly just a different barrel, definitely no excuse to only offer the 300 and 6.5 creedmoor, and more so to offer the .375 and not the 416. Like I said even limited runs every few years of additional offerings would be nice for us and profitable for them

Same with the grey laminate. Much prefer that to the boat paddle myself, but to each his own.
I have a coworker who has a boat paddle stainless M77 in 338 mag. I'll admit it's about as appealing as a mud fence in my book, but he loves it for hunting in Alaska because of it's simple ruggedness. He's done some crazy things with it, possibly using it as a make shift boat paddle, and it still keeps going.

It's small, but it's not that small. They already have the Hawkeye in .300wm and .375 Ruger, it would not be a big investment to chamber them in everything that fits in those 2 already, mostly just a different barrel, definitely no excuse to only offer the 300 and 6.5 creedmoor, and more so to offer the .375 and not the 416. Like I said even limited runs every few years of additional offerings would be nice for us and profitable for them
Agreed, Ruger made both the 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger and it's built to be used on actions they already. If the barrel contour is the same they already make the stocks too, if not it can't be all that tough to open that up. They were smart enough to realize the 375 in Lefty would be a very wise move to popularize it, same holds true for the 416. I agree the market is smaller but a run of couple hundred would be profitable and sell fast.

As we live through the age of shortages and all Companies needing to cut back offerings to stay profitable, we have an option available to us that was all generations before us only had.....build your own.

If you have a Ruger 77 or can buy a used one, ER Shaw offers barrels in 4140 steel, threaded and chambered for $195. They will fit the barrel for $135 (Barrel nut fits are $75) and they will blue it for an additional $55.

You may have to compromise on your dream chambering, but other barrels makers offer the same services with a wider range of chamberings/calibers at slightly higher prices.

The 375 Ruger, 416 Ruger, 458 Win, 416 Taylor, and 375/338 will all fit standard length mag actions and mag boxes with little, if any modifications.

The 9.3X62, 35 Whelen, and 338/06 are perfect conversions for the 30/06, 270 etc.

If you have any skills at all , the stock work is a snap and glass bedding can be done by anyone. Even a block of Ebony can be glued on and shaped for a forearm tip, and also an ebony pistol grip cap.

It is all within the grasp of the average tinkerer, as are cross bolts.

If you can find a good base rifle on one of the used gun sites, used gun racks, and pawn shops you can convert and modify it to your own tastes.

You will end up with a rifle you have more pride in, and enjoy more than something you could buy new, especially if new is not available.

I have been to Africa 5 times now, and have only used rifles I built myself including barrel fitting and stock work, sights, finishing, and mag modifications.

I'm not a trained gunsmith but have taught myself to do the work myself, both safely and correctly........if I can do it, ANYONE can do it!

There is nothing more satisfying than using a rifle you built yourself, and ammo you loaded yourself on a successful hunt.

It takes things to a whole different level of accomplishment, and is well worth the effort.

As we live through the age of shortages and all Companies needing to cut back offerings to stay profitable, we have an option available to us that was all generations before us only had.....build your own.

If you have a Ruger 77 or can buy a used one, ER Shaw offers barrels in 4140 steel, threaded and chambered for $195. They will fit the barrel for $135 (Barrel nut fits are $75) and they will blue it for an additional $55.

You may have to compromise on your dream chambering, but other barrels makers offer the same services with a wider range of chamberings/calibers at slightly higher prices.

The 375 Ruger, 416 Ruger, 458 Win, 416 Taylor, and 375/338 will all fit standard length mag actions and mag boxes with little, if any modifications.

The 9.3X62, 35 Whelen, and 338/06 are perfect conversions for the 30/06, 270 etc.

If you have any skills at all , the stock work is a snap and glass bedding can be done by anyone. Even a block of Ebony can be glued on and shaped for a forearm tip, and also an ebony pistol grip cap.

If you can find a good base rifle on one of the used gun sites, used gun racks, and pawn shops you can convert and modify it to your own tastes.

You will end up with a rifle you have more pride in, and enjoy more than something you could buy new, especially if new is not available.

I have been to Africa 5 times now, and have only used rifles I built myself including barrel fitting and stock work, sights, finishing, and mag modifications.

I'm not a trained gunsmith but have taught myself to do the work myself, both safely and correctly........if I can do it, ANYONE can do it!

There is nothing more satisfying than using a rifle you built yourself, and ammo you loaded yourself on a successful hunt.

It takes things to a whole different level of accomplishment, and is well worth the effort.
Even easier, Boyd’s stock savage action, barrel nut wrench and go no go gauge

Even easier, Boyd’s stock savage action, barrel nut wrench and go no go gauge
That's all well and good but not everyone has the time, skill level, and/or confidence to try this on their own. We are discussing a well liked and respected company and the fact that we would like to see it return to some of its roots. The ability to build your own doesn't change that. Some people just like having Ruger M77 and No. 1s at a good price and not have to mess with it.

Agreed, Ruger made both the 375 Ruger and 416 Ruger and it's built to be used on actions they already. If the barrel contour is the same they already make the stocks too, if not it can't be all that tough to open that up. They were smart enough to realize the 375 in Lefty would be a very wise move to popularize it, same holds true for the 416. I agree the market is smaller but a run of couple hundred would be profitable and sell fast.
This is the part I have trouble with. I get that my dream of a lefty RSM is more involved from a manufacturing standpoint, but it should be pretty straightforward to offer every chambering that they have in the RH version left-handed. Call it a "custom shop" model and charge a couple hundred extra, I don't care. They have the actions, stocks, and it's the same barrel as a RH version. Maybe a different extractor cut, but I don't know, I've never pulled the barrel on mine. Either way, fairly minor.

I suppose I could buy a RH 416 and a LH 375, swap barrels, and sell the resulting RH 375 if I were really motivated, and could find the rifles. To be honest though, I'd rather have a .458 than a .416. It's just a toy for me.

Guys not to start a fight but most all of the top companies that are doing business in the us have either stopped or cut way back on dg calibers. That why I said we are a small market. Ok how do we really fix that?

No fights going on here, all good, and that is the ultimate question. Of the overall gun world, yes large caliber rifles is a small market, LH had factored in even more so, but there are so few manufacturers doing it now that the one who decides to get back into it would stand to make it profitable. I think Ruger may realize this and just needs a bit of a push. That is my hope anyway, and why I am encouraging everyone to just shoot them a message on their website and see what happens. Fingers crossed and hope for the best!

Guys not to start a fight but most all of the top companies that are doing business in the us have either stopped or cut way back on dg calibers. That why I said we are a small market. Ok how do we really fix that?

Unfortunately, I don't think we really do. Not sure if it's truly a reduction in sales of dg calibers or the explosion in sales of other types of firearms, but we're definitely a niche market. My collection is extremely varied, but I still only have two dg rifles (both .375's) and many times that number of other firearms.

It doesn't help that, at least in North America, the utility of calibers bigger than .375 is extremely limited. Even a .375 is overkill for most uses here. Many of those who do have a use for bigger rifles also have the means to spend more for them, so the market for affordable big bores here is extremely limited. Add in being left-handed, and the market gets truly miniscule.

No fights going on here, all good, and that is the ultimate question. Of the overall gun world, yes large caliber rifles is a small market, LH had factored in even more so, but there are so few manufacturers doing it now that the one who decides to get back into it would stand to make it profitable. I think Ruger may realize this and just needs a bit of a push. That is my hope anyway, and why I am encouraging everyone to just shoot them a message on their website and see what happens. Fingers crossed and hope for the best!
You may be right and I hope you are. It would great to have ruger and Winchester to choose from. Right now it’s tough for a new working person to find a good dg rifle that is affordable.

I have a coworker who has a boat paddle stainless M77 in 338 mag. I'll admit it's about as appealing as a mud fence in my book, but he loves it for hunting in Alaska because of it's simple ruggedness. He's done some crazy things with it, possibly using it as a make shift boat paddle, and it still keeps going.

I have all kinds of neighbors here in SE AK that have them. Whatever Ruger used as an alloy in that action just doesn’t seem to rust even around the salt water. I don’t think they made a lefty or I’d have one too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MargeneNie

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]