Interest in Brass Priming Service? (Large Rifle Magnum Primers)

RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION

Sponsor
Since 2023
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
ravenrocksprecision.com
Deals & offers
Media
We have access to Large Rifle Magnum Primers, but not for retail (manufacturing only and we hold an FFL 07).

I'm curious if folks here are having a hard enough time getting LRP (magnum) to make it worthwhile to prime some of the more expensive brass.

Happy to hear your thoughts.

I think that’s a great idea. I’m interested.

I'm interested. What brand(s) of primers are you using.

How hard would it be for you to offer a drop down menu for the service? Say someone wanted XXXX brass, for priming add $.00. You could possibly try it for a few months to see if it would be advantageous. Logistics are the biggest pain, you could put a disclaimer saying you would need an extra week or two for the service. Not ideal, it would allow you to test without loading up a couple thousand pieces of brass and them not move like you had hoped.

Just food for thought.

How hard would it be for you to offer a drop down menu for the service? Say someone wanted XXXX brass, for priming add $.00. You could possibly try it for a few months to see if it would be advantageous. Logistics are the biggest pain, you could put a disclaimer saying you would need an extra week or two for the service. Not ideal, it would allow you to test without loading up a couple thousand pieces of brass and them not move like you had hoped.

Just food for thought.
It's pretty easy for me to modify the website to allow for product options (primed and unprimed). I might start out by just priming small batches of a few calibers that are popular to see how they sell compared the unprimed, gather some data on how long it takes me/what that time is worth, and then start adding it as an option.

It's pretty easy for me to modify the website to allow for product options (primed and unprimed). I might start out by just priming small batches of a few calibers that are popular to see how they sell compared the unprimed, gather some data on how long it takes me/what that time is worth, and then start adding it as an option.

Cool, the biggest thing I did not want to see you do was invest time and money into loading primers and they just sit. Your time is going to depend on your setup. If you are loading on say a single stage press that's going to eat up some time. If you are loading on an automated progressive press (just set up to prime). Then filling up the priming tubes will be a PITA unless you have one of the dillon tools that does that (not cheap, worth if for volume).

I like the idea of primed brass, and have purchased it before. The one thing I'd keep in mind is providing documentation of which primers. When I develop a load, if I make a change to any component, I start over, and it would be good to know what is there so I could replicate it in the future.

While reading the responses you are getting some questions came up:

Is the primed brass:
trimmed?
deburred?
resized?

I always run new brass through a sizing die and trim prior to priming. I would probably not use the priming services. Good idea, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jolandon24

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]