Inertia or Gas Drive Semi-Auto Shotgun?

Inertia or Gas

• Total voters
Seems simple right? That's what I thought.

Those of you who know me will recall that I'm a huge fan of the Benelli SBE3 with its inertia drive. What I didn't know is what I was missing by not shooting a gas gun.
It started with the purchase of a used Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus (gas drive) from another AH member. He swore that this shotgun will change my views on inertia vs gas drive. I was psyched to find out for myself.

First impressions of the Beretta were very good. Excellent fit and finish. Adjustable stock with shim plates. Recoil mitigation system in the butt stock. All of these are good, but I have these on my Benelli as well. So what does this gas gun offer over the Benelli?

Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus 30" barrel in the foreground with my SBE3 covered in the slip behind it.
View attachment 563786

One trip to the range will answer this question. Anyone who has a few years of shooting an inertia shotgun will immediately feel the difference when picking up a gas gun. The first thing I noticed is the hand-filling forend that is necessitated by the gas drive hidden beneath. Mount the shotgun and the first shot reveals the recoil impulse is SOOO much different. Also, the weight of the A400 is a little more than the SBE3 so it feels like less recoil…call it softer shooting. It was really quite enjoyable.

Two rounds of wobble trap (19 & 21) to warm up and off to the sporting clays range where I put another 4 boxes of ammo down it. The results were not what I expected. I shot poorly and the blame is on me. If I had taken the time to fit the shotgun properly, I’m sure the results would have been much better. I didn’t…and so paid the price. More on this later.*

That being said, this Beretta A400 shotgun really surprised me. They say the devil is in the details and Beretta paid attention. Good trigger, quick take-down, very few parts, recoil mitigation, adjustable stock, super easy loading, enlarged charging handle and bolt release. Of course this doesn’t apply to every gas shotgun, but they were welcome upgrades that waterfowlers (like me) look for. It’s truly a premium gas operated shotgun.

The one thing that sticks with me about this particular gas operated shotgun is how soft it felt in recoil compared to the inertia drive. It was amazing. Will it tame 3.5” turkey loads better? Probably no more than any other shotgun capable of doing so, but I haven’t gotten there yet. *The reason I’m not fitting this shotgun to me is that it’s for my Pop to use when he comes to town and want to hit the range. I’ll fit it to him and leave it that way. This was simply a test to see if I would like shooting it or not.

In the end, I switched to the SBE3 for a couple clays after missing with the A400…they turned to dust. And it just felt right to me. Maybe after all these years I’m not capable of making the switch because I’m too accustomed to the recoil impulse and slim feel of the forend on an inertia shotgun. For that reason, I’m firmly in the inertia drive camp. Special thank you to @Garrett89 for making it a close call.

I know there are a more than a couple of members out there who have share in the passion for semi-auto shotguns. What do you guys shoot and why?
@BeeMaa
I much prefer gas over recoil. Softer shooting, no playing with friction rings in the likes,of the Browning A5 humpback to get them to shoot different loads.
I have used both and just prefer gas but that's me.
Bob

I'll give you that it wasn't fair because I didn't fit it, but it felt very bulk to me. The forend felt like a brick in my hand compared to the inertia gun. Let's face it, the inertia gun forend only needs to be as big as the magazine tube, where the gas gun houses the operating system under it.

It was softer shooting. I'll give you that.
@BeeMaa
The recoil gun has the spring over the mag tube plus the friction rings.
I've never noticed any difference between the two forends but then again I've got big boofy hands
Bob

@BeeMaa
The recoil gun has the spring over the mag tube plus the friction rings.
I've never noticed any difference between the two forends but then again I've got big boofy hands
Bob
I have big hands as well but I shoot shotguns a lot. Doing so has set the preference of having a slim forend firmly in place. Plus it maximizes grip when wearing cold weather gloves that can be bulky.

Amongst semi automatic shotguns, I personally prefer the long recoil operated variety (such as on the Remington Model 11).
IMG_2035.jpeg

Inertia operated semi automatic shotguns (such as the Benelli Super Black Eagle 3) come as a close second.

I personally don’t like the gas operated semi automatics (such as the Remington Sportsman, Remington Model 1100 or the Remington Model 11-87). I’ve had/seen more than a couple of them jam over the years (once during a followup job on a wounded African leopard).

Generally speaking, my preferred shotgun platform of choice will always be a side by side.
IMG_2354.jpeg
IMG_2349.jpeg
IMG_2715.jpeg

My personally owned shotgun is a 12 gauge 3” Magnum Beretta Model 626E boxlock ejector with an inertia operated single selective trigger and 30” barrels (a fully choked left & a half choked right). I bought it brand new in 1989 and it sees use on everything from jack snipe to Axis deer.
IMG_1477.jpeg

We started with Berettas years ago when out oldest son started shooting clays with our local 4H club. Starting off in 3rd grade we needed a gun that would have little recoil for the little guys. The families that brought one of dads pump guns didn't stick with it long. Some started with 20g Berettas but we quickly found that with lighter loads we could put these kids directly into a 12g. My son went on to medal at state a few times in trap and I coached some of the kids in the club.
Since then we have acquired probably more that half a dozen Beretta auto shotguns. Most recently that A400 in camo like you have for my youngest son (left hand as he is left eye dominant).
I know and respect the reliability of Benelli. You will not see any out on the sporting clays range however in my experience.
As I have illustrated the Beretta is superior in terms of recoil. I don't understand how the fore end seems so bulky to you. I guess I'll have to go grab the Benelli defense shotgun I have to compare and see what you are talking about.
Good discussion!

I live in the upper mid west. Waterfowl and upland bird hunting is popular. Many years ago the Browning A5 was the king of shotguns, only the most serious hunters had them. Later on the Remington 1100 gained a following.

About 30 years ago the Benelli autoloaders became extremely popular, and still are. They have a very loyal following. I don't own one.

I was a die hard pump gun guy. Started with an 870 then got a Browning BPS. One day about 15 years ago it had a minor breakdown and I borrowed a friends Winchester SX2. I bought one the next day and it's my go to shotgun. An excellent gun for the money. A couple years later I bought my son a Beretta Extrema, he didn't like it so now I have both guns and like them both a lot. My son preferred my SX2 and has since bought a new A5. (he also has an old A5 for the fun of it). I bought the wife a Browning Gold 20 gauge, very similar to the SX2. I also have an Ithica Mag 10 which I seldom shoot anymore.

All this said, I only have experience with gas operated autos. I have found them all to be comfortable and reliable.

I'm fortunate to have a world class gunsmith in my hometown. I asked him what he thought the best autoloader shotgun on the market was. He paused for a moment and said "They're all good when they work....and they all break down sometimes". "Get the one you like and go hunting" He said that there are a lot of good autoloaders on the market now that are more affordable than the popular shotguns mentioned in this post.

I believe that inertia systems have a slight advantage. Especially if you’re waterfowl hunting. I kinda liken the inertia system to being like the AK of shotguns. They just work in rain, mud, dirt, etc. The only issue I’ve heard about is a short cycle because the shooter isn’t providing enough resistance to the recoil. It’s also super easy to clean. No gas ports to get clogged. No “O” rings (Rem 1100) to break.

For me, it depends what kind of hunting you’re doing. My first love is a side-by-side but if you’re going to shoot 1000 rounds in the morning like I just did in Argentina, you will definitely feel the difference between a Gas gun or an inertia gun. Both work well I’m talking Beretta’s versus Benelli I have both and like both,they just feel a little bit different, the Gas gun feels smoother. That said, if I only had one type I would be out hunting with it who cares bang away

Great topic! I agree with @PhillipGlass above. I'm a Beretta guy. I have 5 Beretta O/U shotguns and the A400 Extreme Plus semi-auto. I bought the semi-auto for the plastic stock for waterfowl hunting in cold, wet weather. Almost no recoil and it will cycle any ammo you put through it with no problem.
One of the Gould brothers has a youtube channel called Target Focused Life and he did a comparison of the Benelli SBE3 and the A400 Extreme Plus. Lots of other good shotgun videos on his channel as well.

All of you you could move on to a grown up gun in an OU or SxS. ;)

My primary waterfowl gun is a Connecticut Shotgun SxS 3" 12 bore with interchangeable chokes and 32" tubes. Over the last two decades, It has accounted for truck loads of geese and ducks in Saskatchewan, the Eastern Seaboard, and South Louisiana. I use it in all weathers - salt or freshwater marsh (just take care of it). It is steel shot capable, but that stuff will never go through the barrels of one of my guns. With heavy shot and the IM / F chokes in place it is decisive on anything inside sixty yards.
Waterfowl Gun

Saskatchewan Specks. Note on the left, my son uses a SxS as well.
Hunting Specklebelly Geese In Saskatchewan

When I know I will be with a bunch of the plastic stock and particularly the 3 1/2 inch magnum lads, I often use my Lindner hammer 10 bore. It is not a modern 10 bore chambering. Rather, with the 1 1/4 ounces of soft shot for which it is proofed, it too is a hammer on geese or ducks.
View attachment 563809
None of this is to say that a SxS, OU, or hammer gun is necessarily superior to a plastic Italian or Nipponese clickenclunker. But nothing has a faster second shot and I have found very little use for a third. I would argue that they are absolutely just as good - and a far more elegant shooting solution. :cool:
RED LEG, nice doubles kill geese & ducks and have since the 1800s - yours are really beautiful guns. Double shotguns were effective enough to nearly wipe out the waterfowl population in some areas — market hunters using 2 of them and switching guns quickly (vs. reloading) as flocks came in. Double shotguns also don’t jam and a good wing shot can shoot “doubles” consistently....but Great shots shoot TRIPLES and you cant do that with a double (2 birds w/one shot doesn’t count). So grab some plastic-camo-fantastic and start dropping 3 at a time - that’s what makes a “legend”, all your blind buddies will take note.

RED LEG, nice doubles kill geese & ducks and have since the 1800s - yours are really beautiful guns. Double shotguns were effective enough to nearly wipe out the waterfowl population in some areas — market hunters using 2 of them and switching guns quickly (vs. reloading) as flocks came in. Double shotguns also don’t jam and a good wing shot can shoot “doubles” consistently....but Great shots shoot TRIPLES and you cant do that with a double (2 birds w/one shot doesn’t count). So grab some plastic-camo-fantastic and start dropping 3 at a time - that’s what makes a “legend”, all your blind buddies will take note.
Regrettably Hank, the blind buddies (as opposed to actual friends) with whom I have been inflicted over the years tend to be lucky dropping one for three. I am sure you are a "Great" shot, but, I'll gladly sit in any blind with you or anyone with one of my waterfowl doubles and they with a plastic thing of their choice and happily count totals at the end of the day - ducks, geese or both. Loser pays for lunch, supper or drinks.

Last edited:
Regrettably Hank, the blind buddies (as opposed to actual friends) with whom I have been inflicted over the years tend to be lucky dropping one for three. I am sure you are a "Great" shot, but, I'll gladly sit in any blind with you or anyone with one of my waterfowl doubles and they with a plastic thing of their choice and happily count totals at the end of the day. Winner pays for lunch, supper or drinks.
RED LEG the few “triples” I’ve shot in my life are as memorable - as they are “rare” (I’d go home and tell my Wife)...so I don’t qualify on the List of Great Shooters...however, without that 3 shot gun - you never have the opportunity to shoot a Triple. I’ve never met a good shot that referred to himself as “a good shot” - only others (observers) can make that comment and have credibility....I recall far too many “misses” to be considered anything above “average”.....really, how can you ever miss a 12 pound goose inside of 45 yrds (and I’ve missed plenty) and not feel “humble”?

That 3rd shot has helped me out many times - also makes it so much easier to shoot thru a box or two of shells vs. just firing 2 at a time !! With an auto loader - Your ammo bill alone could pay for another fine gun

Shot my only lifetime pheasant triple last fall. Very difficult these days for a number of reasons. Requires an empty bag (daily limit is three) and finding three roosters together. I have shot countless honker triples. Prerequisite for them is hunting solo.
20221106_164058.jpg

...I asked him what he thought the best autoloader shotgun on the market was. He paused for a moment and said "They're all good when they work....and they all break down sometimes". "Get the one you like and go hunting" He said that there are a lot of good autoloaders on the market now that are more affordable than the popular shotguns mentioned in this post.
There are several options other than Benelli when it comes to inertia driven shotgun including Franchi, Stoeger and Retay to name a few.

Of course Franchi and Stoeger fall under the Beretta flag so I'm sure those two companies are getting some support with their inertia drive systems from Benelli (who's also owned by Beretta).

As for Retay, they are an amazing shotgun and they are made in Turkey. When they first hit the market they were often called the budget-Benelli and selling for about $1K. However, comparing their current prices of their top of the line model (Masai Mara 3.5" cerakote 28") at $1600 on GB puts it in the same ball park as the SBE3.

A guy I hunt with in NY has a Retay Masai Mara 3.5" that he's had for years and I believe he paid right around $1K for it. Absolutely loves that gun. The way he downs geese, it's no wonder. His little brother bought a SBE3 at the beginning of this goose season because there wasn't much difference in price between the Retay & Benelli.

The last shots from my SBE2 were with 3 1/2" #2 shot. I traded it in on a Beretta A400 the very next day and haven't looked back since. The Beretta is with my anytime I need a 12 gauge in my hands. I started habit of wiping the gas cylinder off after each hunt (though it was probably not needed) and I don't clean anything else until the end of the season unless it gets in the muck. These days, I have pretty much switched over to 16 gauge using Boss shells now and that old 1100 or Model 12 are soft shooting but will still use the Beretta A400 if 12 gauge is needed.

Great topic! I agree with @PhillipGlass above. I'm a Beretta guy. I have 5 Beretta O/U shotguns and the A400 Extreme Plus semi-auto. I bought the semi-auto for the plastic stock for waterfowl hunting in cold, wet weather. Almost no recoil and it will cycle any ammo you put through it with no problem.
One of the Gould brothers has a youtube channel called Target Focused Life and he did a comparison of the Benelli SBE3 and the A400 Extreme Plus. Lots of other good shotgun videos on his channel as well.
I like TFL with Steve Gould. He has some really good insight. Surviving Duck Season is another really good shotgun channel.

I haven't seen one with the A400 vs the SBE3...not sure he did that one yet. If he did, send me a link and I'll check it out.

Even though I like my gas operated Remingtons, the gas operated Beretta A400 would be my next choice if I were to spend the extra money. I DO like my Remington V3 at 7.2lbs though for a $500us shotgun. On the flip side, the Stoeger M2000 and now the M3000 (Benelli clones) inertia are hard to beat for their price. I know someone who has the M2000 going on 14 years and has had no cycling or other issues with it. But whatever one chooses for their shotgun platform, get out and hunt with it!

Shot my only lifetime pheasant triple last fall. Very difficult these days for a number of reasons. Requires an empty bag (daily limit is three) and finding three roosters together. I have shot countless honker triples. Prerequisite for them is hunting solo.
View attachment 564104

You would love that gun so much more with some nice walnut on it.

I don't really have a preference of gas vs inertia vs long action. I grew up shooting my Grandpa's Remington Model 11 in 20 gauge. As an A5 clone, it had the long action. And made of steel it was HEAVY compared to modern options. I never really noticed at the time though. And I still like to take it out on hunts or for targets from time to time.

In college, I bought my first auto in the gas operated Browning Maxus when it was introduced. I absolutely love that gun, and rarely had a F2F (only in some extreme conditions) and it cycled everything from target/dove loads to 3-1/2" magnums. When the Dura-touch coating failed, basically it became like glue in my hands, Browning offered to replace the stock. I changed to the walnut since I like wood better than synthetic, and knew it wouldn't have any repeat issues of the duratouch soft grip stuff.

Several years and tens of thousands of rounds later, I came across a Gander Mountain closing down and found the new A5 (inertia) at half off and bought one of those. Damn near identical results and performance as the Maxus, again shooting light loads to mega mags, and a whole lot of use.

I cycle between the Maxus and A5 as my go-to options. I don't have a favorite between the two, and haven't noticed one being faster or smoother, or anything to give the nod one way or another. I love and shoot them both.

I also have a Browning Silver 20 ga, and both a new and old A5 Sweet 16 that get a lot of use. Suffice it to say, if it's a Browning, I'm a fan. I don't care what operating system it uses.

Browning introduced what is called a "magazine cut off" on the original A5. It is a lever on the left side of the receiver that, when pulled back, will allow unloading of the shell in the chamber without loading one from the magazine. The thought being that if one wanted to switch the load in the chamber from duck to goose, they could flip this switch and do so. Not a bad idea in theory.

My friend has one of these on his Browning Maxus and he complains non-stop about getting it caught on brush or clothing and not noticing until he shoots...but only one shot because the lever is pulled back. It drives him nuts. I don't believe there is an aftermarket kit to eliminate it. This issue has him considering other options.

Currently only the Browning Maxus II is featuring this. Not even the new A5 has it. Kinda funny.
As noted in my post above, I have both. I've never had an issue with the switch on the side of the receiver of the Maxus flipping on its own or catching on things. The only problem it's ever caused is about once every 2 years, I'll forget I have it engaged and will try to load a shell in the magazine, which gets partially stuck but I can pry it out fairly quickly.

The new A5 also has this feature, but with a different design. Instead of a cutoff lever on the side, it has a button on the bottom of receiver, just in front of the trigger guard. Effectively, the magazine only allows a shell to cycle when the round in the chamber is fired. If you just work the bolt, it will eject the chambered round but not release a new shell from magazine unless you push the button first. A bit weird initially, but works well once you figure it out.

My favorite feature of Browning shotguns (someone else mentioned it in this thread, too) is the auto-load function. When empty and the bolt is locked back, you can simple load a shell into the magazine and it automatically cycles into the chamber and is ready to fire. I've used that many times as a "party trick" at the range shooting clays; if I happen to miss my 2nd shot, I grab a shell from the pouch and load it in fast enough to get a 3rd shot. (No, I don't count this if in real competition shoots. I only do it for fun and to show off a little.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoellaMath

Latest profile posts

Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!