In memoriam - Professional Hunter Greg Michelson killed by wounded Buffalo

I didn't think so.

I was confused by him claiming to have started this thread

It is a very sad situation and reminds everyone that we are playing for keeps when hunting DG
I live in Zimbabwe we are quite a few hours ahead of the USA. I received a message from a relative of Gregs. At about 0700 CAT time I posted. Zimbabwe PH killed by buffalo. I knew the name but not having any more details I felt it not appropriate to post more info.

A little later I looked and I saw the second, but different post. I have no idea what happened to my post.

This tragic event certainly was not a race to see who is the first to post.

Lon

I live in Zimbabwe we are quite a few hours ahead of the USA. I received a message from a relative of Gregs. At about 0700 CAT time I posted. Zimbabwe PH killed by buffalo. I knew the name but not having any more details I felt it not appropriate to post more info.

A little later I looked and I saw the second, but different post. I have no idea what happened to my post.

This tragic event certainly was not a race to see who is the first to post.

Lon
Lon,
I had no intention to be the first to post this tragic news.
When I read on about it on FB I just wanted to get the word out there because it wasn't posted yet...
Regards

So sad to hear. Condolences to the family.

Very sad to hear this. Condolences to his family and friends and may he rest in peace

Lon,
I had no intention to be the first to post this tragic news.
When I read on about it on FB I just wanted to get the word out there because it wasn't posted yet...
Regards
It’s not a big deal

I was just confused because…it was confusing

It certainly isn’t important who posted first but I was trying to figure out if Lon had two screen names since he stated he started this thread

That is all

And it isn’t worth derailing the thread or having people get defensive

It’s not a big deal

I was just confused because…it was confusing

It certainly isn’t important who posted first but I was trying to figure out if Lon had two screen names since he stated he started this thread

That is all

And it isn’t worth derailing the thread or having people get defensive
No just one name.

Lon

In 2023, I had the privilege of hunting with Greg near the Kafue River in Zambia. Greg was not only an outstanding Professional Hunter but also a remarkable companion. His patience in selecting game and meticulous approach to shot preparation ensured that our safari was both successful and memorable. Together, we harvested excellent sable, dangerous game, pigs, and antelope, all without ever feeling rushed.

Beyond the hunt, I enjoyed the time spent in Greg’s company. Even though I am about twenty years his junior, we found common ground in our discussions—talks that ranged from books and international politics to the wars in Iraq and the bush, and, most importantly, our children.

I was fortunate to witness Greg’s expertise firsthand as he set up hunts, stalks, blinds, and post-harvest photos. His fieldcraft was impeccable, and I’ve carried the lessons I learned from him into my own hunting experiences with my children. In this way, Greg’s legacy will continue to live on through my family.

The attached photo of Greg captures a moment I’ll never forget—a monster hippo that I harvested under his guidance in 2023.

As we remember Greg, let it be said, "Well done, be thou at peace."

Attachments

• IMG_9162.JPEG
    IMG_9162.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Thank you for sharing your story as a tribute to the deceased and his loved ones. Eloquently written.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hamphibius

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!