In memoriam - Mark Hampton of GSCO & SCI RIP

Sad news indeed. I was just reading one of his articles. A great loss to the hunting community and conservation.

An accomplished hunter and conservationist, a loss to our community. My condolences to the family, may he rest in peace.

It is always sad when we lose one of our own. My deepest condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace in the green fields of heaven.

my wife and i knew mark and Karen,great people,got to see his trophy room.great!!! wish them both gods speed.

Met him once some years ago at an SCI show in Reno. A very modest and approachable guy for one who had done many big hunts. I always remember how much I enjoyed our brief conversation. Just two hunters talking shop. Nothing better than that.
RIP Mark.

@tarbe and I had a nice visit with him at the Joburg airport, seemed like a great guy and a great writer. RIP Mark.

I've been lurking around the forum for quite a few years but I signed up mainly to comment on this thread. Mark Hampton is one of my heroes. I consider him to be the most successful handgun hunter of all time. What he accomplished as a hunter is amazing, but considering that he did almost all of his hunting with a handgun is mind-boggling.

One might think with all that he accomplished that he might develop an ego but he was one of the most genuine, down to earth, approachable people that I have ever known. For someone like Mark to take the time to correspond via phone, email, or text with a small town fellow from Ellijay, GA is a testament to what kind of person he was. He loved the sport of hunting and conservation and he was always eager to help.

I kept hoping that our paths would cross at one of the various shooting events across the country or perhaps one of the hunting conventions. The fact that i never got to meet my hero in person will be one of my life's biggest regrets.

Rest in peace Mark.

Prayers for the family.

Darrell Harper

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mauricejeand

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.