Leon123

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SAHGCA
Hunted
South Africa
I tested yesterday some 130gr Impala bullet is my 303. And Boom got keyholing on the target . What is very strange I fired two 150gr interlocks and and then an impala round hit about 2 inch from the other but got an keyhole. The rifle is an old martini Enfield with 30inch barrel so its mainly just target shooting from time to time. Al the bullets landed were I aimed or at least with in an inch or two from there now that's what confuses me if it was unstable it would shurely be al over the place like I have had with the 180gr ppu ammo. I have read somewhere if the light weight Impala hit something hard it keyhole. The target was placed on a conveyor belt backing could that have caused the keyhole. Had anyone maby more knowledge about the Impala bullets
IMG_20220529_121134.jpg
IMG_20220529_121140.jpg

My best guess:
Because brass is far less dense than lead, monolithic brass bullets require a much faster twist rate to stabilise. The barrel on the 303 Martini would have been designed with a twist rate appropriate for a standard construction lead core jacketed bullet.
Berger bullet website has a stability calculator https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

Try inputing the data for the impala bullet and your barrel.

It may well be that the Impala bullet did not obturate properly to fit the rifling.

From shooting with my own 303 before I sold it check the crown of your rifle.
Most of the problems with the old 303's we have that have shot plenty of military rounds before is that the crown is busted.

Got a gunsmith to recrown my barrel and got very good accuracy with both impala and lead bullets.

BTW that 303 killed a lot of animals with the 130gr impalas even zebras make sure to place bullet in vitals otherwsie they act like a solid. Stay clear of neck and head shots, bolier room shots only.

130 grn too light for the 303 rifling.

130 grn too light for the 303 rifling.
John, it might be with normal lead core bullet but the bearing surface of the 130gr bullets that actually touch the lands are as long as or longer than a 150gr lead core bullet.
The tumbling happens because of the sharp shoulder the Impala bullets have and with the crown not been square or neat anymore thats were they get off centre.

Seen it with other 303's

A 215gr Woodleigh round nose......

HWL

I was just at the NRA show in Houston and got to talk extensively with a Hornady engineer. One of the questions I asked him--he was pretty much an oracle of knowledge--was about using modern lead-free bullets in pre-WWII rifles. Obviously, what he said applies in spades to pre-1900 guns. My hunting buddy, who shoots strictly modern factory rifles, has a passion for these hi-tech bullets and has tried to get me to use them too. So I asked, and this is what the engineer said.

In a word: DON'T (well, that's actually two words, but hey).

1 - Accuracy(a): lead-core bullets--especially those with an exposed base--expand to fill the grooves quite easily under the relatively low pressure of cartridges like a .303. Not so all-copper bullets. Therefore, lead-core bullets are somewhat more forgiving about groove-diameter variations that you may find in older rifles. I don't know if you had your Martini slugged, but chances are the groove diameter is greater than .311" or even .312." The Martini Enfield was meant to shoot black powder, which fouls and constricts the tolerances within the barrel--and some makers compensated for this by producing a slightly larger bore.

2 - Accuracy(b): copper has a much lower specific weight than lead. Therefore, what copper loses in specific weight it needs to compensate in length in order to reach the weight of an equivalent lead bullet. And bullets longer than X (X being the maximum length at which they can be stabilized given your rifle's twist rate) will tend to tumble out of the barrel.

3 - Pressure: copper being much less ductile than lead, in order for the bullet to be swaged down in the forcing cone, a great spike in pressure will be produced. That pressure may often be excessive for older steel, which has (among other things) a much lower tensile strength than modern. This may not have anything to do with accuracy per se, but it may create bulges or even ruptures in an older barrel.

Therefore, if you have an older rifle it is better in terms of safety, performance, and the firearm's integrity to stick with lead-core bullets. Also, many of these all-copper projectiles are designed to perform best at much higher velocities than those typically found in 19th century military loads--which were the ones taken to Africa and the ones that made people like Bell legendary (he used the old 215gr .303, the old 173/175gr 7x57 as well as the old 160gr 6.5x54MS). That "magical" velocity range between 2,000 and 2,400 fps greatly reduces the need to employ premium, hi-tech bullets and any good welded-core jacketed lead will perform just fine on soft-skinned game.

I hope this helps.

Today I took a quartering-away shot at a Bushbuck ram at 72 yards. The rifle I used was a .303 British Martini sporter loaded with Hornady Interlock 174gr round nose traveling at around 2,300 fps.

97F5C3E9-14DF-42D2-B807-A1A99113502E.jpeg

The bullet entered the animal's left side just ahead of the hindquarters and exited behind the shoulder, leaving a hole through which I comfortably fit my index finger. He fell and never even quivered. The bullet penetrated roughly 16" of tissue and bone before exiting the animal.

Confirmation that a .303 British bullet launched at moderate velocities can be relied upon to perform like it has for 100+ years--no need for the latest hi-tech bullet.

Last edited:
Im too old school to trust a spear pointed solid brass bullet with no HP or means of expansion, depends totally on velocity, its not workable in my mind, but stanger things have come about, so I'll let the publc decide, not me..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaitlinDel

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!