If you’ve gifted knives to your trackers/skinners…

My skinners in Namibia had a small collection of random pocket knives and a few basic Victorinox paring/kitchen (AKA Vicky") knives. They used the Vickys the most. They kept them all sharp on whetstone similar to a Norton India I have. The skinner I had in the East Cape had several similar to Vickys and he had a grinding wheel he sharped them on. I'm guessing using that he went through them relatively quickly. But that was his thing and his job. The last in the Limpopo used a replaceable blade utility knife for skinning everything including an entire buffalo. Blade got dull he replaced and moved on. They may or may not appreciate a knife, but keep it simple and expendable. But they will definitely appreciate cash.

Candy, watches, hats, knives cigarettes and money. Varys from camp to camp. I try and talk with PH.

This is a tough call
I don’t think All countries or camps are equal
My buddy and His wife were both disturbed by how badly the PH’s treated the camp staff and tracking team in Zimbabwe and gifted cash , clothing, cigarettes and some tungsten knife sharpener,
I bet RSA & Namibia staff get treated better than, Mozambican & Zimbabwean ( I don’t know?)
Mexico cigarettes, caps, cash , cattle ropping rope's , dental supplies are always coveted

Moraknifv, opinal, Dexter carbon steel knives top stainless steel as gifts imo
I’ve hunted in 5 African countries so far. What I’ve seen is the further you get from town generally the better the staff get treated. I’ve done two hunts in Zimbabwe. The staff there and especially trackers were treated with more respect for their skill than I’ve seen elsewhere. Namibia and Zambia staff were treated very well. Cameroon I felt staff were being used by management but treated with a lot of respect by PH. I enjoyed eastern cape, but felt Limpopo is where staff is most abused. There is still too much black white animosity lingering there in my opinion and carries into the camps. Surprisingly you don’t feel that in Zimbabwe. I could definitely see a stressed PH in a tough area on a low price hunt treating staff badly in any country though.

Last edited:
I had one of my tool reps give me a bag of these. Probably had a dozen of them. I noticed when we were in the skinning shed the guys were using utility knives to do the fine detail work on the skull when skinning. So utility blades were plentiful. The guys at two different camps loved them. I was their best friend for the next week
IMG_1740.JPG

What types of knives have you given? Do we assume skinners would want skinning knives, etc? Tactical or classic buck style?
All ideas welcome! Thanks~

Trackers live way below the global poverty line. Their aspiration is to have $125 to cover mandatory school uniforms and fees for their kids to go to school.

If you have ten bucks to spend on a knife, give them ten bucks instead. People then reply “yeah, but I’m giving them cash too, the knife is just a nice gift”.

They still sell the ten dollar knife for one dollar.

If I’m giving knives out, I give free used knives and they are free to sell them if they wish, but I never spend money on this kind of stuff because they’d much prefer an extra $10-$50 in tip.

Things they cannot afford and cannot sell that they can use? Sharpening stone for tools at camp if you have a spare used one. Shoelaces. Cheap flashlights you have in the junk drawer.

In short, give whatever you can and do so generously, but don’t give them something so valuable they are compelled to sell it for cash when you’d be better off just giving them the cash.

Leave the cheap trinkets at home and pick up some duty free cigarettes at the airport. Cash is king.

I think cash is definitely preferred, in my experience if you ask the PH they will tell you if there is something specific that the staff could use. If the PH doesn't get back to you or doesn't have anything specific and you still really want to bring something, I have found that good mid-weight hiking socks are always used and always well received.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilliamCog

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available