If this rifle could talk....

gearguywb

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
S. Africa, Namibia, Alaska, Germany
Picked this up at a LGS. Looks like it has been "Africa carried" quite a bit.

IMG_6528.jpg
IMG_6529.jpg
IMG_6530.jpg
IMG_6531.jpg
IMG_6532.jpg

Like the RSMs quite a lot, including the Lott. Classic rifles which need only a few small changes to make them preferred DGRs IMHO.

I think this could be a regularly posted thread. I think a bunch of us have an old rifle we wish we knew the story about.

Like you, I just got this at auction. I reeeeeally want to know who this was used by. Auction claimed the seller stated it was actually re-chambered by Lott…but who knows.

These big bores usually don’t see a lot of use, unless owned by a professional or a very wealthy hunter who can afford to shoot 100s of buffalo.

It’s an Interarms Mark X action in a fiberglass stock. Weighs about 10.5 lbs. Action is butter-smooth and the metal is worn plum. Also has pitting near the end of the barrel like the OP’s.

I’ve shot it only a little but it’s accurate and feeds and ejects without failure.

What I want to know is, who was the owner “PDL” in gold on the trigger guard?? The leopard inlay has most of the gold worn off.

1718976392603.jpeg

1718976471081.jpeg

1718976525667.jpeg

This gun was used…a lot.

Ed Z

Attachments

• 1718976439450.jpeg
    1718976439450.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
I think this could be a regularly posted thread. I think a bunch of us have an old rifle we wish we knew the story about.

Like you, I just got this at auction. I reeeeeally want to know who this was used by. Auction claimed the seller stated it was actually re-chambered by Lott…but who knows.

These big bores usually don’t see a lot of use, unless owned by a professional or a very wealthy hunter who can afford to shoot 100s of buffalo.

It’s an Interarms Mark X action in a fiberglass stock. Weighs about 10.5 lbs. Action is butter-smooth and the metal is worn plum. Also has pitting near the end of the barrel like the OP’s.

I’ve shot it only a little but it’s accurate and feeds and ejects without failure.

What I want to know is, who was the owner “PDL” in gold on the trigger guard?? The leopard inlay has most of the gold worn off.

View attachment 615138

View attachment 615140

View attachment 615141

This gun was used…a lot.

Ed Z
Good setup. Neat that they put it in a A Square stock. Is it an actual A Square stock or an MPI?

I have no idea? Now that you mention it, it does look to be an A Square stock. It’s wide and blunt at the fore end. Straight comb sure helps with recoil management

The recoil pad is old school.

I have no idea? Now that you mention it, it does look to be an A Square stock. It’s wide and blunt at the fore end. Straight comb sure helps with recoil management

The recoil pad is old school.
IIRC the factory A Square stocks had a recoil pad that was labeled “A Square”(of course that could’ve been changed). Also, I believe they had the Pachymar QD swivel studs on their synthetic stocks as well. Going off the sling swivel stud on yours I bet it is an MPI. A Square stock would be inletted for another action anyway. I wasn’t thinking..

The recoil pad is a Pachmayr and not marked A Square. In any case, it's heckuva rifle. I didn't mention the front bead is a Tritium night sight. It's long-since stopped glowing, but another aspect that this rifle was meant for serious business. The folding rear express sights were removed and single, standing V was put in place.

Now... I need to sort out a serious safari

Ed Z

Have you thought of contacting RJ Renner? He does great work reshaping and slimming stocks to classical contours including re-checkering. I sent him my 450 Rigby Rimless RSM because I was not happy with the clubby feel of the forend and overall fit of the buttstock, especially the pistol grip and comb nose area. He reshaped it and performed a continuous wraparound forend checkering pattern which is quite attractive and functional. He also dimensioned the comb for a much better fit. Should be able to slim down your Hannibal-style stock to your liking. Renner is a very nice guy and easy to work with and reasonable and responsive. Reachable by phone (775) 453-9355 email rjrenner@protonmail.com and work shown in his website https://www.rjrenner.com/. Worth considering to get an old warrior back in fighting trim!!

I second sending your rifle to RJ Renner. I purchased this rifle from a member here, and the stock was reshaped, it's a beautiful rifle. BTW, this is a CZ-550 in 375 H&H.

rifle.jpg

I may have gone down the wrong road here. When I saw that the stock may be from A Square I assumed it was wood, thus the Renner recommendation. If the stock is synthetic that’s not an option.

IMG_5357.jpeg
These 2 and I speak quite frequently come hunting season. The 1905 MS is 103 years old and the Remington model 14 is 104. The 9x56 is my favorite rifle.

View attachment 615138

View attachment 615140

View attachment 615141

This gun was used…a lot.

Ed Z
Love that burl table.What is the wood and how about some more pix.

I’ll need to go back and look at my records. I may have a photo of the markings. I don’t remember all the details.

Love that burl table.What is the wood and how about some more pix.

That table is a slab of Redwood burl, the base is a section of Redwood root. My dad bought the raw pieces in Northern California on one of our family vacations. Hauled them back to Texas, strapped to the Winnebago. He sanded and finished it himself on the back porch. If that table could talk… it could tell some stories!!

It seems I take many of my rifle pictures on that table.

C5056C69-10D0-40B1-88EA-9DF43CE180FA.jpeg
53D638C8-3174-4E1D-9A6D-EF2A22EF149C.jpeg

My Adams & Co .577 BPE…another one that I wish could talk.

7759CFAE-7F7A-4CE0-84CA-5C749872FAF9.jpeg

Ed Z

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KelliJusti

Latest profile posts

We have been very busy hunting! Lots of pictures and videos in process!

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here