Identifying Mauser Model A vs B vs...?

Rifles #1,2 are both nice and although not Orbendorf Mausers they are as you say a German gun made in Germany. I wouldn’t hesitate to add them to the gun rack of the price is reasonable. But hey that’s just my biased opinion!
Problem is once you start on these German guns….
#2 has "Waffenfabrik Mauser A.-G. Oberndorf A/N" on the receiver ring, while #1 has no manufacturers markings at all aside from the proofs and the Krupp-Stahl on the underside of the barrel. #1 does bear a retailer mark on the barrel for one Georg Seelig in the city of Weimar.

But as mentioned, the dovetailed receiver on #1 is giving me pause. The asking price is less than $1K and it's tempting, but I'm having my doubts now if it's worth the low initial cost and room for budget if the rifle itself may prove unsafe with the calibre change.

I like #1 (regardless of the dovetailed claw mount) but for your purposes I think #2 is most complete and most practical solution that in the end might be the cheapest due to being all there. #3 seems to be sporting FN DeLuxe triggers on put-together Mauser rifle so I wonder if it's FN DeLuxe action with modified handle plus other bits.

Get #2 and don't sweat it. Or both #1 and #2 and use #2 as is and try to get #1 into original condition...
Good luck!

I like #1 (regardless of the dovetailed claw mount) but for your purposes I think #2 is most complete and most practical solution that in the end might be the cheapest due to being all there. #3 seems to be sporting FN DeLuxe triggers on put-together Mauser rifle so I wonder if it's FN DeLuxe action with modified handle plus other bits.

Get #2 and don't sweat it. Or both #1 and #2 and use #2 as is and try to get #1 into original condition...
Good luck!
Agreed, #2 is complete as far as I'm concerned. I can replace the scope with something better for sure, and adding the cocking piece sight isn't required, just a nice extra thing. Looking closer at #3, I don't know what it is but I fully see why it's not really a Model B or a German Mauser at all.

Is there a way to tell, or ask the seller to check, if it's 9.3x57 vs x62, if they don't have any ammo lying around? Proofs? Magazine dimensions? Follower? Simple way of measuring the chamber without doing a cast?

Hi WG,

To ask the seller is the first thing I would do. If he wants to sell a rifle, he should be absolutely sure what is the correct cartridge for the rifle!

If he doesn't know, The only way is to find the cal mark somewhere or to cast the chamber. My bet would also be 9.3x62 rather than x57 but one never knows. 9.3x62 go-no go guages would help also.

I’m hopping on this thread for some help.

What is this rifle? A type b? It’s in 30-06
IMG_0580.jpeg
IMG_0575.jpeg

Hi Aaron,

Yes, it is a Model B! Nice! To me more so because it´s single trigger!!
Hope the front bridge wasn´t dovetailed...seems did not...
Is yours? Beatiful rifle!

CF

Hi Aaron,

Yes, it is a Model B! Nice! To me more so because it´s single trigger!!
Hope the front bridge wasn´t dovetailed...seems did not...
Is yours? Beatiful rifle!

CF
I’ll be sending the money for it this morning

Good for you! With this treasure probably will became a 30-06 guy...
Please tell us more about the rifle when you receive it.

CF

Attachments

• 20240714_132414.jpg
    20240714_132414.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240714_132349.jpg
    20240714_132349.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
thats a nice bmodel!and those look like era or ewa mounts that are the best...and around 400ish us. Could you tell me what the scope is please,and heres a pic of mine in 3006 same version as yours..
You don’t have a leaf sight though! The scope isn’t included. I’m not sure what it is

Quick little (and bad phone pic) of a few Mausers, left to right a 66 in 3006 circa 1966,a 98 type B in 3006,a type B in model K in 250 savage,a type A magnum in 280 ross with the long barrell and non sqaure bridge mag action ,and a 1924 Holland in 375, gives an idea the differences between A and B,and K Mausers look like next to each other.

Attachments

• 20240804_125057.jpg
    20240804_125057.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FEJ

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]