Ideal distance for a Cape Buffalo first shot..

I have only shot one beyond 50 yards, I would guess it was 79 or 75. Part of the fun of buffalo hunting is working in close and making one good shot.

I’ve shot all mine between 25-35 yards. Bolt actions. Scoped rifles. I could shoot them at a longer distance, but I don’t want to shoot them at a longer distance.

I’ve shot all mine between 25-35 yards. Bolt actions. Scoped rifles. I could shoot them at a longer distance, but I don’t want to shoot them at a longer distance.
As I and several others have noted, terrain makes a big difference. Trying to get within 25-35 yards of a herd of 500 buffalo in the open marsh of the Zambezi is a bit different than broken terrain.

As I and several others have noted, terrain makes a big difference. Trying to get within 25-35 yards of a herd of 500 buffalo in the open marsh of the Zambezi is a bit different than broken terrain.
Agree 100%. However, after listening to tales from a buddy that hunted buff in the swamps of Mozambique I swore “never for me”! I’ve been fortunate to hunt mine in the dry forests and hills of Zimbabwe, along with one in similar terrain near the Kruger.

Yes terrain is important but also how wary the animals are.
It's different to hunt a buff in RSA where there are no lions chasing them everyday then hunting them in a place like Bubye or Save in Zim.
I observed both and it's not even comparable.

Yes terrain is important but also how wary the animals are.
It's different to hunt a buff in RSA where there are no lions chasing them everyday then hunting them in a place like Bubye or Save in Zim.
I observed both and it's not even comparable.
Funny, because we just hunted Buffalo among Lions in RSA.

Where Kruger area?
I was talking about game farms and specifically quoted "where there are no lions".
Yes, in the Kruger area and what you describe as a "game farm"

I really want to try hunting one on the floodplains of the Zambezi in Mozambique. I’ve got 2 outfitters I’ve been talking to about it and the last 2 Tiny’s I need. Time and money seem to be the biggest issues preventing it from happening.

IMG-20240513-WA0036.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrinceAqui

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)