Ideal Couger bullet?

Most folks around here who are specifically hunting lions use dogs to tree the cat then dispatch it with a big bore wheel gun or light caliber, easy to carry, rifle. The season is long. Alternatively, as stated above, many hunters carry multiple tags (black bear, lion, wolf, etc.) along with their deer or elk tag for the off hand chance that one of these predators presents an opportunity. In that case, folks are shooting whatever they are carrying. The two cats I saw in the back of pickups last year were both taken with a 6.5Creed. Both had been treed. This caliber seems to be the "coin of the realm" here these days.

I really like the 220Gr Remington Core Lokts out of a .30-06 Springfield.

170Gr Winchester Super X out of a .30-30 Winchester are also good.

Nosler Partitions are amongst my favorite bullets for any member of the great cat family. It's a real shame that they've become so difficult to source ever since the last 3 years.

Calling, 257 Weatherby, 100 Barnes.
Hounds, 50 cal muzzleloader, 250 Thor bullets

The late Gerry Blair called in & shot many with a .22-250... BUT his AO was AZ & many cats didn't go over 100 lbs. I would personally error on the side of more engine/heavier bullet.

My dad has a friend that used to contract with the state to hunt cougars with his hounds. He swears by a 45-70 using 400 grain bullets. It protects his hounds.

I have a friend that has called in a few cougars. He prefers his AR for quick follow up shots after nearly being run over after shooting one with his bolt 22-250.. it just didn't know it was dead yet

Since they banned hounds, some area hunters have become proficient at calling them in. I just never heard anything about bullet type or hide damage. From what I have seen (especially in my area) shots are usually quick and less than ideal. Seems like most appropriate bullets (Scirocco or Partition, Power Shok) are likely to leave an exit, but I suppose that is a preferable alternative.

Thanks for the insight. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking some niche bullet I was not familiar with (like Varmint). If I get a shot, priority is to make sure it succumbs quickly and is found, followed by minimal hide damage. My job is ending so I will have some time to look around in the woods. Wish me luck!
Channelkat, other then hunting Cougars with Hounds or killing one by “pure chance” - (likely accounts for 99% of shot Cougars) what do you consider “Proficient” regarding Calling-one-in? I’m guessing Calling one in every few years or calling one in 1 out of every 50 sets would be exceptionally good……I would be happy with that success rate for a Cougar. I can’t even get a response rate of 25% for Fox in the Northeast and less then 10% for Coyote. Texas & Wyoming are much EASIER, I actually feel like an “expert” whenever I call out West as the response rate increases (30-50%). I would be thrilled to ever call in a Cougar and Once in a lifetime would be “proficient” at least for Me.

I guess thinking on it now, what I called proficient, were folks that have harvested several.
Seems like some folks are harvesting them every year, but I suppose in reality they are probably doing so every few years off of public land. To me that seems pretty dialed in. Like you I would be thrilled to take one. If I am ever successful with a rifle I will switch over to a bow. I have a dream of taking one with a homemade bow, but I want to get one down before I take the risk of bow hunting.

If you’re hunting cougars I thought a nice bottle of Merlot was what harvested most of them?

It's not my thing but most guys I knew growing up shot them out of trees over hounds with .22 magnum, usually head shots. Hunting is typically in the dead of winter after big game season when the pelts are prime.

bobcat.jpg

Ouch! That certainly left a mark!

Swift Scirocco II For one. No to Berger for hunting. Sorry guys. No to varmint loads, it will blow up the hide. You want a normal rifle caliber loaded with the aforementioned Swift Scirocco or Nosler Partition. Don't over think it!

150# WT 6mm 105 Berger Hybrid 3050fps at 165 yards. This is the exit, it is nothing crazy.
214220.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrinceAqui

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)