npm352

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I was given permission to post this online by my editor. It is in the latest Sporting Classics. I had it written within a week or two after the hunt. It just kind of flowed out me. I queried my editor with the summary and told him I thought it was solid. He sent a contract and I strongly suggested two of the pictures with blood be included. I felt they would add to the story.

For those of you on the fence, or even opposed to hound hunting, keep in mind any of my hounds could have walked away at any point in the hunt.

Seeing a good hound do what it was bred to do is one of life's great privileges for a hunter, and I tried to address the transformation from wolf to pursuit hound in the article.

It is a neat publication that still values the art of the narrative.

Grab a stiff drink and maybe you'll enjoy.
PXL_20230718_202524631.jpg

Fantastic article, I have only been privileged to hunt with hounds a couple times in my life and treasure every experience. I am happy to read your girl made a full recovery and back on track. thank you for writing this article. you took us all along on the cold trip up and down the mountains.

Great article, thank you for sharing. Chasing hound dogs around the mountains in winter time is a physically and mentally demanding game. This article does a good job of depicting that.

Fantastic article, I have only been privileged to hunt with hounds a couple times in my life and treasure every experience. I am happy to read your girl made a full recovery and back on track. thank you for writing this article. you took us all along on the cold trip up and down the mountains.
Thanks for the kind words

Great article, thank you for sharing. Chasing hound dogs around the mountains in winter time is a physically and mentally demanding game. This article does a good job of depicting that.
Thanks!

I agree for sure on it being tough on snowing mountains.

I was given permission to post this online by my editor. It is in the latest Sporting Classics. I had it written within a week or two after the hunt. It just kind of flowed out me. I queried my editor with the summary and told him I thought it was solid. He sent a contract and I strongly suggested two of the pictures with blood be included. I felt they would add to the story.

For those of you on the fence, or even opposed to hound hunting, keep in mind any of my hounds could have walked away at any point in the hunt.

Seeing a good hound do what it was bred to do is one of life's great privileges for a hunter, and I tried to address the transformation from wolf to pursuit hound in the article.

It is a neat publication that still values the art of the narrative.

Grab a stiff drink and maybe you'll enjoy. View attachment 548771
Great article, great mag - long time subscriber. Call me old fashioned but I still like thumbing through paper.

Great article, npm352. I have hunted both mountain lions and black bears with hounds in the mountains of Utah. Listening to hounds run game in the Western mountains of the US is one of the highlights of my hunting career.

Sidenote: I fly to Botswana in about 3 weeks to hunt leopards with hounds (Hunt report to follow.) Can’t wait! Thanks for the article and happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

Great article, npm352. I have hunted both mountain lions and black bears with hounds in the mountains of Utah. Listening to hounds run game in the Western mountains of the US is one of the highlights of my hunting career.

Sidenote: I fly to Botswana in about 3 weeks to hunt leopards with hounds (Hunt report to follow.) Can’t wait! Thanks for the article and happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
Thank you grayrider. Super cool you've hunted behind hounds and liked it enough to pursue leopard with them. So awesome.

I'll pm you about your Botswana hunt.

Agree with You - a hunt with hounds is ALL ABOUT THE HOUNDS. The hounds create the excitement, usually you only see the Cat after it’s tree’d and then the actual shot requires little skill —— but keeping up with those hounds, on a mountain, in the deep snow....thats the challenge. I’ve done 3 Mountain lion hunts, friend took great cat, I passed a small one, other hunt treed no cats. I loved the dogs and seeing what they were bred to do !!

Very cool. You have definitely caught the hound big! Sounds like you've had a some great hunts.
Agree with You - a hunt with hounds is ALL ABOUT THE HOUNDS. The hounds create the excitement, usually you only see the Cat after it’s tree’d and then the actual shot requires little skill —— but keeping up with those hounds, on a mountain, in the deep snow....thats the challenge. I’ve done 3 Mountain lion hunts, friend took great cat, I passed a small one, other hunt treed no cats. I loved the dogs and seeing what they were bred to do !!

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing. I always enjoyed reading those hound hunts for cats. Sounds amazing. And tense. And strenuous. Surely it gets the blood pumping, sweat pouring, nerves frazzled, and to then make an ethical shot under such conditions makes for a true hunting experience. For sure, it is on my bucket list.

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing. I always enjoyed reading those hound hunts for cats. Sounds amazing. And tense. And strenuous. Surely it gets the blood pumping, sweat pouring, nerves frazzled, and to then make an ethical shot under such conditions makes for a true hunting experience. For sure, it is on my bucket list.
Thank you! Agree on all counts. Definitely worth a try for something slightly unorthodox.

That was a great tale well told. Thank you. I had enjoyed it when the magazine arrived and am thrilled to now pass that along directly to the author.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaun09

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles