159.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.54.41 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.54.41 AM Large.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.54.45 AM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-04-03 at 8.54.45 AM Large.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Their products are beautiful! Every item is a piece of art.

The stuff looks pretty good.

Believe it or not, its quite difficult to find "authentic" Campaign Furniture today. Literally, maybe 4-5 companies are making it.

My beef: A lot of "safari chairs" are directors chairs. Call me a snob, but the directors chair was invented in Wisconsin, USA for camping purposes circa 1894. Their flexibility caught on and Hollywood started using them on set for temporary seating. That in turn led to films about Africa where the prop department just grabbed those same chairs and threw them into scenes from Africa...um, no. I'm probably extra embittered by this point as a Wisconsin native and I grew up seeing these camp chairs at garage sales and lake houses so there is nothing exotic, British, or safari about them in mind, they are just the thing you strapped to the top of the station wagon when you went up to the lake.

The "real" safari chair is a Roorkhee style. Exactly the style reflected in the advert above. Leather straps for arms. Buckles to hold the chair together with straps on all four sides. Break-down isn't via folding, but via stuffing it all in a duffle bag.

I'm not sure where the "real" safari chair originated, but early examples i've seen were being made in Peshewar, Pakistan back from the era where that was the Western frontier of pre-partition India. Usually they were rosewood frames and canvas or leather upholstered. It appears the Brits were getting those made for Indian safaris and in turn the Indian gun retailers started exporting those to Britain where they caught on for safaris around the world, including Africa.

Lists of authentic safari campaign furniture sellers, including the one above:

Guram & Sons, India
Can't remember their name, now out of business, began with an H, Peshewar, Pakistan
Moon & Melville, RSA

*Caution, there is a model being sold cheap on amazon/wayfair/overstock for about $300-$500. They are junk, break, and are made I think in China.

Last edited:
The Hemmingway field bar looks badass
@503
Might look bad ass but I could buy 20 bottles of Bundy for the same price. That equates to 15 litres. Don't know about bad ass but that amount of Bundy would put a lot of people on there arse.
Bob

Yes, they are good. The suppliers that I know of are:
Melville and Moon (good canvass work)
Els (good leather work)
African Touch (good raw trak work)
African Track Woods (good railway sleeper furniture)
Nigel Jocelyn (excellent joinery. Larger pieces.)
Neil Morgan (very stylish dining room furniture).

All are Zimbabwe companies

Yes, they are good. The suppliers that I know of are:
Melville and Moon (good canvass work)
Els (good leather work)
African Touch (good raw trak work)
African Track Woods (good railway sleeper furniture)
Nigel Jocelyn (excellent joinery. Larger pieces.)
Neil Morgan (very stylish dining room furniture).

All are Zimbabwe companies
Correction: Melville and Moon and Els are South African. Els by the eay makes the very best Rookhee chair.

I wrote the OP’s linked company in Zim asking if they would make a 1.33x scale replica of a Roorkhee chair. The originals are nice, but I can’t fit in one at my size and mass, they were designed for 5’10” and 175lbs.

An overbuilt set could be used as home furniture with heavy use. They said they are going to play around with it.

I wrote the OP’s linked company in Zim asking if they would make a 1.33x scale replica of a Roorkhee chair. The originals are nice, but I can’t fit in one at my size and mass, they were designed for 5’10” and 175lbs.

An overbuilt set could be used as home furniture with heavy use. They said they are going to play around with it.
@rookhawk
If they are that lightly built they would not cope with my 6 foot 6 250 pound body.
I have some body parts of a God. It's just a pity that God is Buddha.
Bob

@SaintPanzer Did you purchase this or build it?
Could you provide a picture of the back and bottom of the assembled chair?
I looks like a very straight forward project to build and I would like to build a couple for my trophy room.

The original safari chair was used by the military of UK and other countries - the 'Fenby' chair.

The Fenby or ‘Tripolina’ chair was designed in 1855 by Joseph Beverly Fenby, a British engineer and inventor, and was patented in 1877 in England. The J. B. Fenby Co. first manufactured the design, but did not last long and was bankrupt by late 1879. Apparently, Fenby was a better inventor than businessman.

His masterful design, however, succeeded. Presented by Fenby at the International Exhibition of Saint-Louis, Missouri, in 1904, the design was licensed to French and Italian manufacturers and to Gold Medal Inc. in Wisconsin, USA, a company that produced military, camping and resort furniture in the early 20th century. It was sold at retail by famed outfitting company Abercrombie and Fitch of New York.

The Fenby Chair became widely known in Europe as an officer’s chair or “Campaign Chair” but also as a safari or beach chair. Used by the U.S and British armies, the Fenby Chair was also used by the Italian army in the 30’s during its campaigns in Lybia where the chair became known as the “Tripolina Chair”.

Theodore-Roosevelt-chair-300x276.png

Theodore Roosevelt in Safari camp in Tanzania.

Notable users of these chairs include Theodore Roosevelt, Thomas A. Edison and renowned wildlife biologist Aldo Leopold, and many officers, safari hunters, explorers, and adventurers worldwide.

The original Fenby chair frames were made of wood and metal with a canvas or leather seat sling. They folded quickly and stored compactly. In addition to its light weight, comfort and portability it was an elegant solution in terms of design and was regarded as an example of design excellence. On July 24, 1940, the chair was shown at the 3rd Salon de Artistas Decoradores exhibition in Paris where it was discovered by the Museum of Modern Art. At the request of MoMA design director Edgar Kaufmann Jr., three pre-production chairs were sent to New York. One is in the MoMA collection and one is at the Frank Lloyd Wright house Fallingwater, but no one knows where the third chair went.

These chairs are available from American Camp Chair Company...

"We make our Ranger chairs in the USA using modern methods and materials to produce a chair faithful to its heritage, but superior in performance. For chair frame strength and light weight we utilize clear, vertical grain Port Orford cedar harvested in Oregon under Forest Stewardship Council guidelines. The metal fittings are laser cut stainless steel, media tumbled to remove any sharp edges and produce a pleasing, non-reflective finish. Fasteners are 1/4” stainless steel rivets. Stays are 1/16” stainless steel cable. The only plastic parts in our chair frames are the nylon washers used to assure firm, smooth operation of the frame. Seat slings are sewn from proven, old school, heavy no. 8 canvas duck. All seams are reinforced with nylon webbing and double stitched.

It is provided with a heavy duty, water resistant ballistic nylon carry bag with military style clip closure and a substantial, adjustable carry sling.

Last edited by a moderator:
@SaintPanzer Did you purchase this or build it?
Could you provide a picture of the back and bottom of the assembled chair?
I looks like a very straight forward project to build and I would like to build a couple for my trophy room.
@AZDAVE these chairs are really easy to build. There was an article on it in Popular Woodworking a few years ago, and the author, Chris Swartz, wrote a book on Campaign Furniture available from Lost Art Press. There are straps underneath the seat and behind the back securing the leather. I’ll take some pictures of the one I built and post them if @SaintPanzer doesnt beat me to it

Start here:

It's a great book. I used the plans in it to make mine.

I don't have a photo of the bottom and back, but here is one version with some good shots:

The back on that one is a little different than mine. If you look at mine, you'll notice the top of the back has seven rivets a side, while the black chair in the link is stitched, and reinforced at the top with one rivet. Also, on my chair, there is a strap that connects the bottom of the back, which makes it easier to break down. You just undo the strap, and slide it off the "uprights".

The seat bottom is as displayed in the photos.

There are two things I don't like about mine: first, I used the wrong dye, and it now needs to be re-done. Second, I made the back too tight at first, so I had to drill out the rivets and re-do them slightly looser. You can't see it from the front, but the back has some obvious empty holes, and a gap in the dye. I'll fix that un-dyed part when I get more dye.

But seriously, buy the book. Plans, step by step instructions, photos. Also, there's a boatload of other campaign furniture in it, also with plans/photos.

Not soon, but perhaps next spring or summer I will make another... if/when I do, I'll post photos of the process.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.28 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.29 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.32 AM.png
    515.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.34 AM.png
    412.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.43 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.44 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 7.56.46 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 63

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarissaclarkson387

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]