I want a new rifle but I don’t know what to get

62flint

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
SA
Ok. Grab the pop corn.
I want a Africa cape buffalo rifle. I am pretty sure I want a M70 in 375hh.
But dang the rugers are a deal.
The rifle may end up in a boat in alaska or in a scabbard on a horse at some point.
So should I get stainless and synthetic stock?
I don’t know which way to go. Went to a gun show today hoping to put my hands on both.
Nothing there. No winchesters or rugers.
Gimme some ideas

As my dad taught me without a vision any path will take you there. what is your vision in terms of animals? Best caliber for one gun…375 H&H no question. Nostalgia 404 Jeffery. Really nostalgia DR

Well what you want today will change in a year. Just the way it goes, we figure it out after we spend some time with what we want.

Lost of questions need to be answered.

Budget is probably the biggest.

If the rifle is going to be hunted with hard and put in harsh conditions. I would probably opt for SS and synthetic stock. I would then have the barrel cerakote so it doesn't flash a mile away.

Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.

It should naturally be walnut stocked. With a little maintenance, a walnut stock is no serious disadvantage (regardless of the environment).

Of course, this is only my personal preference. A Ruger Hawkeye in .375 Ruger is also an excellent rifle in a caliber which is (very well deservedly) gaining prominence in recent years.

Synthetic stocks personally just aren't for me. Although even I must concede that they are extremely low maintenance compared to wooden stocks.

Winchester Model 70 Safari Express in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.

It should naturally be walnut stocked. With a little maintenance, a walnut stock is no serious disadvantage (regardless of the environment).

Of course, this is only my personal preference. A Ruger Hawkeye in .375 Ruger is also an excellent rifle in a caliber which is (very well deservedly) gaining prominence in recent years.

Synthetic stocks personally just aren't for me. Although even I must concede that they are extremely low maintenance compared to wooden stocks.
Thinned spar varnish is a good way to protect barrel and action inletting from water. Ken Waters used a paste wax to keep water--and anything else--from getting between the barrel and the fore-end inletting.

Win 70 safari express 375 h&h, just got one recently for 24 buff hunt and love it. Priced right so money left over glass rings etc. and most importantly more hunting. Besides sighting in took a couple deer just to become more familiar and works like a charm.

Asking for advice your next firearm on this forum is like throwing fresh meat at hungry lions. :D Beers:

Best get yourself a Blaser R8 and you can have any cartridge from 204RUGER to 500J on one rifle stock. Not to mention the addition of all the rimfire options.

A R8 Professional in 375H&H with a 17mm (standard profile barrel) and iron sights will sort you out for the foreseeable future.

Thinned spar varnish is a good way to protect barrel and action inletting from water. Ken Waters used a paste wax to keep water--and anything else--from getting between the barrel and the fore-end inletting.
Bob @Bob Nelson 35Whelen used Vegemite for the same purpose of keeping moisture out. It also made for a quick midday snack with crackers when hunting camels or scrub bulls.

Just FYI Johnson's no longer makes paste wax, sadly. Great stuff for treating horns and antlers. Minwax still makes paste wax but have yet to try it.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Alaska?
ruger 375 or a m70 SS
the puta madre burro is 375ruger and ugly as heck but weather & salt spray isn’t a issue
and can run 235 TSX @ 3000fps or 300gr tsx @2500 on any given day
not everyone’s cup of tea but she’s ready to go rain or shine , equator to arctic circle
and leave the stinking muzzle break in the safe with the safe queens ( lol ;) )

Last edited:
You have picked a great caliber and action. If you hunt hard in North America, I see nothing wrong with going synthetic. Synthetic makes the gun lightweight which is not always desirable in guns sending 300+ gr bullets downrange. But that can be fixed. I think stainless can be brushed so it's not terribly shiny.

Low maintenance hunter here, SS and composite or laminated stock in whatever cartridge floats your boat.

I’ve been running Winchester 70’s in various calibers since the 70’s and currently have 11 and an outstanding 375 H&H in the Safari Express and have also had the Alaska model. I’m prejudiced but I don’t think you can go wrong with a 70 and pair it with a good Trijicon Accupoint 1x6….. just my .02.

I agree go with Model 70 in 375. Blued rifles always hold up well, Alaska or a scabbard. I have both stainless and blued. There are a number of the Model 70 Classics in stainless ( Controlled Feed) which come up fairly often but would not hesitate if what you find is blued.

Well what you want today will change in a year. Just the way it goes, we figure it out after we spend some time with what we want.

Lost of questions need to be answered.

Budget is probably the biggest.

If the rifle is going to be hunted with hard and put in harsh conditions. I would probably opt for SS and synthetic stock. I would then have the barrel cerakote so it doesn't flash a mile away.
SS if it’s black or coated. I’ve never understood shiny being good for hunting. But that’s just me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheronFosd

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg