I search for an Ammunition Belt...

Just wondering would you really get through 20 rounds of ammo a day in Africa??

Not really, unless you were to go to the range and shoot your ammo up.

Or in the case of a very poor shot you could attain that number of rounds in a day...

depends if you are in sierra leone or just normal hunting.......;) this is a good one from
www.jroberts-gunmakers.co.uk/shop.php it will last you a long time , i had one for years but "lost" it!!
shop-pouch10.png

Attachments

• shop-pouch10.png
    shop-pouch10.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 638
Last edited by a moderator:

Obviously on birds without a problem. On a Cull hunt you could,
Otherwise you had best check:
your reticle,
scope mounts
Stock screws,
or calm yourself down and go learn how to shoot again. :)

Not really, unless you were to go to the range and shoot your ammo up.

Or in the case of a very poor shot you could attain that number of rounds in a day...

Thats what I thought!! I was just thinking the 5 375 H&H rounds in a bolt gun would be enough. If it still needs more do the right thing (pour a good scotch and get your revolver out)!! I do rather like the Roberts ammo slide, Spike did you ever have rounds slip out??

I do rather like the Roberts ammo slide, Spike did you ever have rounds slip out??

no they dont move at all. you can run , jump and they are secure. i keep meaning to get another one.with it taking 10 if i had soft and solids in it i left 1 or 2 loops empty between ,and then you dont have to look and check .

no they dont move at all. you can run , jump and they are secure. i keep meaning to get another one.with it taking 12 if i had soft and solids in it i left 1 or 2 loops empty between ,and then you dont have to look and check .

That settles it I'm getting one then all I need is a nice wide belt to put it and other bits of kit on. Is there such a thing as an essential belt kit for Africa??

image.jpg
It's a bit strange that there is not more rifle cartridge belt on the market, H&H do only a belt holder, not a genuine belt. Anyhow I use leather for years but was going over to canvas some time ago. Regarding number of cartridge a belt should hold I would say 15 is ideal, if you are 3 hours from the camp it's a safe insurance !!

I like the culling belt from Galco, one of few really good belts on the market, cost around $80-100, and you can order it after your caliber of choice.

Also Boyt make a good canvas belt, I think it's the half of the price compared to the Galco belt...

These are made by a SA company, the double rifle pouch puts two rounds close together and a space in between to extract them quickly. The ammo holder below is also made by them and slips into my back pack so I can top up from there. Leather has no issue as long as you take care of it before you start useing it. I have ammo pouches in leather that are 10 years old and are now only broken in. Would advise that any ammo pouch or belt has enough drainage in the bottom to let small pieces of dirt through and let water run out.

FB_IMG_1427471529256.jpg
received_770902469656030.jpeg

I recently bought one of Trader Keiths

A great service (shipped from the US to the UK in no time at all) & I'm delighted with the belt

IMG_0130_zpszaaxw6ku.jpg

Great quality

Attachments

• IMG_0130_zpszaaxw6ku.jpg
    IMG_0130_zpszaaxw6ku.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 811
Last edited by a moderator:
+1 for Murray leather

I used the C-1 from Murray below for my buffalo hunt in Zim. What I really liked was the ability to combine soft/solid cartridges and to be able to grab the right one without looking.

The weight flips it open immediately when you pop the snaps, but they aren't going to come lose either. I liked it so much that I got a second one for my .30/06.

Now if I had a double rifle I don't think I would use this one, but for a bolt gun it is hard to beat.

shellc-1.jpg

I just bought from Murray Leather here inTexas. They have a full line of custom caliber specific belts and shell holders. I bought two 6 round shell holders that go on your belt. Practical and not going to be in the way.
Regards,
Philip

That belt from trader Keith looks good !

Just make sure you don't leave your rounds for long in a 100 percent leather belt as they will foul with Verdigris. You need to take them out each night and wipe them. For me though, the synthetic materials while probably superior just don't 'look right'.
This is why I have never used a leather looped belt for cartridges! The leather stretches and they become loose and fouled! Never did like a 'hunting belt' with all sorts of paraphenalia on it. Ammo pouch, Leatherman and handgun that's it. Of course my 'Opinel' stays in my shorts pocket!! There's trackers for everything else!
I've always used a velcro closure 9 round pouch made of nylon type fabric. I also have a closed 7 round pouch with cheek pad that's on the stock of my rifle. I reload from the belt pouch first.

When I order the Galco belt the price was $90 dollars, shipping with DHL was $110 and import tax was $50.... Finally &250 dollar... It got very expensive in the end...

But canvas is so much easy compare to the old leather belt, it was furthermore to little space between the cartridges so difficult to take them out when reloading fast enough.

Old belt:
image.jpg

I have been using the Murray leather ammo pouch for several years and multiple hunts. May not look as cool as a culling belt, but I have never worried about loosing rounds and the more I use them, the better they look and function.Learned on two 21 day safaris in the Selous; when I leave the truck, I wear a pocket knife in a pouch on the belt holding up my pants, a belt with two ammo pouches, one softs, one solids, and a water bottle.

Good Hunting!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cosmostar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg