Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Life is pretty bland when you dont have a safari lined up. I am no depressive, but all these restrictions and lockdowns not only wear you down but give lots of excuses for couch syndrome. So this morning, having our coffee as the sun rose it dawned on me - I dont have a solid hunt plan, thats why I feel tepid! There have been a few half plans, ideas talked about, but my dear friends are not great on decisions and committment. For we locals, there is no covid test, no airports, just service the Landy's and get some ammo, no excuses there. Only one thing for it and that is to just begin the process in ernest.
So what should it be? For sure a hot lowveld experience, preferably Zambesi valley. Cant afford Nyakasanga, but maybe Dande. Or up Kariba way. My one buddy needs a buff, I will be content to be a supporter, but maybe also a kudu or an eland for me. Our other member will settle for impala to make biltong. If we go up Kariba way I may settle for a croc instead, the wife wants a belly skin for a particular bag design - not too big, maybe 10 foot for the skin quality I am told.
What suggestions can you add to get the stew simmering?

Life is pretty bland when you dont have a safari lined up. I am no depressive, but all these restrictions and lockdowns not only wear you down but give lots of excuses for couch syndrome. So this morning, having our coffee as the sun rose it dawned on me - I dont have a solid hunt plan, thats why I feel tepid! There have been a few half plans, ideas talked about, but my dear friends are not great on decisions and committment. For we locals, there is no covid test, no airports, just service the Landy's and get some ammo, no excuses there. Only one thing for it and that is to just begin the process in ernest.
So what should it be? For sure a hot lowveld experience, preferably Zambesi valley. Cant afford Nyakasanga, but maybe Dande. Or up Kariba way. My one buddy needs a buff, I will be content to be a supporter, but maybe also a kudu or an eland for me. Our other member will settle for impala to make biltong. If we go up Kariba way I may settle for a croc instead, the wife wants a belly skin for a particular bag design - not too big, maybe 10 foot for the skin quality I am told.
What suggestions can you add to get the stew simmering?

Wish I was in a position to give you advice from my vast experience Kevin :)

But I understand the feeling, dreaming and living towards a planned safari is so much fun!

Good luck and let us know what you finally decide upon!

V.

I envy your choices and am slightly jealous. But that's coming from a Brit who can't even get to Africa because the government has placed southern African countries on a banned list and we are not allowed to travel and no idea when we will be.

They all sound good options so I don't care as long as you do go and post a report and photos however, the Buffalo/Kudu/Eland sounds the best but is it possible to combine the biltong and croc hunt into the same trip?

I envy your choices and am slightly jealous. But that's coming from a Brit who can't even get to Africa because the government has placed southern African countries on a banned list and we are not allowed to travel and no idea when we will be.

They all sound good options so I don't care as long as you do go and post a report and photos however, the Buffalo/Kudu/Eland sounds the best but is it possible to combine the biltong and croc hunt into the same trip?
Hi Adrian, I sincerely hope the situation improves for you soon. Yes, for local safari we are spoilt but we are very limited on hardware and rifle purchase with up to a year's wait. Huge price too. On the choice of game, no problem mixing a croc in with the others - I hope you weren't suggesting croc biltong!

Hi Adrian, I sincerely hope the situation improves for you soon. Yes, for local safari we are spoilt but we are very limited on hardware and rifle purchase with up to a year's wait. Huge price too. On the choice of game, no problem mixing a croc in with the others - I hope you weren't suggesting croc biltong!
Yes, fingers crossed for the situation here and that you get to go hunting.
Definitely not croc biltong, can't imagine that would turn out well.....

Dande is a wonderful place for DG but you are likely to be disappointed in the PG numbers. Best to look elsewhere for what you want to do.

I had alligator or crocodile jerky in Las Vegas years ago, it was as good as the kangaroo jerky I had there! Might want to soak it in vinegar a bit longer or a scotch that doesn't taste good then the coriander rub .

I know what you mean about having a hunt to plan for-time and money start to matter and preparations fill your soul with happiness-anticipation might be better than the actual event. Sniping a croc seems a worthy test but I would want that eland for his meat! You should always have a kudu permit in your pocket. . . Best wishes!

Planning? Just jumping in the Landy and heading out to Dande isn't planning. LOL.
If you lived here in the States you would be like us poor folk who have to plan for months or even a year or more for a hunt in Africa. I'm getting excited for my hunt in Limpopo in July, but it's been planned since January 2020.
Have fun whatever you choose, but Eland and Kudu are always a fun hunt and Eland is the best meat I've ever had.

Sharing your hunger brother. 2020 was the first year in 47 years that I didn’t hunt big game.... anywhere. All due to ‘ronna restrictions. My June safari was cancelled. My October Mulie hunt - cancelled. My October-Nov whitetail hunt - Canx. Late Muzzle loader hunt - canx.

On May 20 I am scheduled and booked to depart for SA to hunt for 10 days with my brother.

come on 2021!

Planning? Just jumping in the Landy and heading out to Dande isn't planning. LOL.
If you lived here in the States you would be like us poor folk who have to plan for months or even a year or more for a hunt in Africa. I'm getting excited for my hunt in Limpopo in July, but it's been planned since January 2020.
Have fun whatever you choose, but Eland and Kudu are always a fun hunt and Eland is the best meat I've ever had.
Import the Scotch, import the cigars, import the ammo, polish the Courteneys, wash the Landy - it's hell.

Well @Kevin Peacocke you could always be really adventurous and drive north across the zambezi...using a bridge or pontoon ferry of course....dont think your land rover is that aquatic :E Hmmm: :E Rofl:....
Well @Kevin Peacocke you could always be really adventurous and drive north across the zambezi...using a bridge or pontoon ferry of course....dont think your land rover is that aquatic :E Hmmm: :E Rofl:....
Get the tea on, I'm on the way.

Attachments

• 9DAED10B-3DCE-4340-8CE3-BB56638AA183.jpeg
    9DAED10B-3DCE-4340-8CE3-BB56638AA183.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 86

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hjwdwhfghdfs

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?