Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
South Africa, Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
So the missus discovered she actually likes getting out in the bush during our recent adventure with @Limcroma Safaris in Limpopo.

Driving back from my folks in Baton Rouge today, we listened to a couple John McAdams podcasts with Kevin Robertson. She's decided she's open to the idea of 9.3x62 or bigger, especially after the way Doctari described training future female rangers to go from 22 LR to 458 Win Mag in 3 months.

I've already more or less given her my 280 AI (we're both lefty shooters) for the future trips back to Africa. But good Lord, I think I may have created a monster.

She can't have my 9.3x62, though. I'd have to cut down the stock to fit her, but she's definitely down for a 375 H&H, though she has some trepidation about going after buffalo. "I'd be too scared."

I asked her if she thought I wasn't just a little on edge going after mine. "No," she says. I guess I have the benefit of having played 4A sportsball and having to wear a game face when standing on the mound, or getting ready for the opening jump ball at center court.

What an awesome problem to have, I could hardly be more excited!

Sorry for the poor quality, a frame from the video after she pulled the trigger on the zebra. Very clearly excited. Yep, I've created a monster. :D

1727047706442.png

My wife hunts as well...and it's wonderful.

Congratulations to you both.

So the missus discovered she actually likes getting out in the bush during our recent adventure with @Limcroma Safaris in Limpopo.

Driving back from my folks in Baton Rouge today, we listened to a couple John McAdams podcasts with Kevin Robertson. She's decided she's open to the idea of 9.3x62 or bigger, especially after the way Doctari described training future female rangers to go from 22 LR to 458 Win Mag in 3 months.

I've already more or less given her my 280 AI (we're both lefty shooters) for the future trips back to Africa. But good Lord, I think I may have created a monster.

She can't have my 9.3x62, though. I'd have to cut down the stock to fit her, but she's definitely down for a 375 H&H, though she has some trepidation about going after buffalo. "I'd be too scared."

I asked her if she thought I wasn't just a little on edge going after mine. "No," she says. I guess I have the benefit of having played 4A sportsball and having to wear a game face when standing on the mound, or getting ready for the opening jump ball at center court.

Sorry for the poor quality, a frame from the video after she pulled the trigger on the zebra. Very clearly excited. Yep, I've created a monster. :D

View attachment 635750
My wife is my constant hunting partner, Wonderful way to go through life! Enjoy!

This is truly awesome, I’m happy for you! My wife has been my companion on every safari save the first. She has been on many serious tracking hunts and finally took a buffalo with our 9.3x62 in Dande in 2019. Let your wife work up to it. Mine was comfortable on buffalo with Len and I backing her up with our Lott’s. Turned out she didn’t need us, she’s deadly.

What a great "problem" to have. What are the odds of 2 lefties getting married? That's wild.

I know one person can't bring 2 guns of the same caliber...but you might check with a permit expert if there might be issues for your situation if you bring the same caliber. I wouldn't put them in the same case. Probably would have different names on your 4473 also.

Another 9.3x62 might be a good idea. It lets you share ammo easily. Also a surprisingly easy cartridge to shoot. Those female rangers that go from 22 to 458 in 3 months are a lot tougher than me.
I think it will be easier to find a LH 375 H&H than another LH 9.3x62.

I suppose I could find a LH Ruger MK II or similar and rebarrel.

What a great "problem" to have. What are the odds of 2 lefties getting married? That's wild.

I know one person can't bring 2 guns of the same caliber...but you might check with a permit expert if there might be issues for your situation if you bring the same caliber. I wouldn't put them in the same case. Probably would have different names on your 4473 also.
I was actually just thinking about that. I imagine if she actually goes in for the 9.3, I'll probably bring my 404J, especially if/when she decides she wants a cape buffalo. A pair of 40s for backup/follow up can't be a bad thing.

it’s good you have a common interest and she is onboard with your plans.

I am truly happy for you. Neither of my brothers care to hunt big game, although they've done it in past lives. Ann is not a hunter, but joined me on both of my safaris for buffalo. She was with us each step tracking, shooting and recovering. The memories together are special.

Tell your wife to get that 375 H&H and go get a buffalo. She can do it. I suspect you'll be more excited for hers than you were for your own.

John

View attachment 635750

well dr Frankenstein its safe to say your monster is well apricated... grate job you folks have fun.

View attachment 635750
Lucky you! You have a lifelong hunting buddy.

Not many LH 9.3 or 375 H&H out there. Lots of LH 375 Rugers available at reasonable prices.

Not many LH 9.3 or 375 H&H out there. Lots of LH 375 Rugers available at reasonable prices.
No, there aren't, but it would be easy enough to find a LH CRF in 30-06, then re-barrel to 9.3x62.

Though there is an ad here on this board for a pre-64 LH 375 H&H, just a little north of my budget, especially since I'm still waiting on my taxidermy bill to come in. ;)

If I said those terrible words, "can't have" to my wife, @Just Gina , she would start crying and say "I can't believe you would say such a thing to me!"

That's how "her" Rigby HS in 9.3x62 got cut down to fit her;) And it is very cool how deadly she is with it even shooting it off hand sometimes. Nothing like a gun that fits to build confidence shooting!

I've told the story on here before of her 404 Jeffrey. I had sold that rifle to her back in a previous life and she was struggling to shoot it. After we got together, we had it cut to fit her, mercury recoil tube installed in the stock, new soft pad, mounted a 1-6 30mm scope, and a Murray Leather ammo holder on the stock. The rifle is heavy when loaded with 5 rounds down and 6 on the stock. But she is not shy about having me or the PH or a Tracker carry it but happily carries it herself during a final stalk. She needs it on sticks or on a shoulder but claims she feels zero recoil when shooting it now. And she shoots it extremely well. She recently shot a giraffe through heavy brush. Made a great double lung shot plus a follow up. She shot a Tsessebe that dropped in its tracks and she asked if she missed because it just disappeared at the shot. I had to laugh and told her it was hit by the Hammer of Thor and was laying right there. Perfect quartering too shot on the point of the shoulder.

Get your wife a 375 H&H. Stay away from hot loaded ammo... Make it fit, install a mercury tube (easily pulled if not needed but really nice for practice) and watch her excell :)

Here ya go.

About the same as 2 redheads :giggle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilheminaN

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?