I may be done with africa, at least for a while

I have so many mounts that the only thing I bring home are European mounts. I have them done in Africa as my taxidermist uses beautiful African teak for the plaques. I have yet to see a taxidermist in NA who can match them.
I used Safari Specialty Importers for my trips. They handle everything from your outfitter to your taxidermist there or here, shipping, importer, inspections, domestic delivery, etc. Just give them the info on your outfitter and they will take it from there.

I had dip and pack so that simplified things to some degree. I don't trust African taxidermists and wanted mine done here at home where I had some control.

@62flint , you are not ranting, just saying the truth.

After 8 safaris, I find flights and airports getting more uncomfortable.

The hunt itself may go well, or not, that depends on your outfitter, and then bringing back your trophies is a nightmare, if you have an animal with a CITES, up to two years of waiting.

Most airlines refuse to transport the big 5.

Shooting cull ? Not for me, I am looking for specifc trophies, and want to see them home.

So, most likely not going back.

1726172380044.gif

I used Safari Specialty Importers for my trips. They handle everything from your outfitter to your taxidermist there or here, shipping, importer, inspections, domestic delivery, etc. Just give them the info on your outfitter and they will take it from there.

I had dip and pack so that simplified things to some degree. I don't trust African taxidermists and wanted mine done here at home where I had some control.
Same here. As a matter of fact, my Zambia trophies are coming.

The shipping prices are a lot higher than they were pre-2020 and so is the final clearing. For as many hunters as South Africa and Namibia have I think their hunting organizations need to organize multiple outfitters clients into a sea shipment at end of seasons or they are going to start losing bookings. I have changed the way I hunt. The cost of shipping and clearing is nearly the same on a short 7 day hunt with only a few trophies as it is a 14 day hunt with more trophies. I don’t see myself going as frequently as I did and only for extended hunts now to justify shipping. Unfortunately I realize many are limited on time. I really hope collective end of season ocean shipments become an option in future.

I am in the planning stages working with several sponsors on the forum to hunt trophy / exportable elephant in 2025. The costs will add up but I want to be able to touch / hold the tusks back here in the states. If, after that, life allows me to go to Africa again I will probably hire a videographer through the PH and have the DVD contain the trophies and capture more than my 64 year old brain can remember.

Hopefully things will work out for ya, shipping was a concern for me too. Well the whole trip was as I was "breaking the ice". Safari Cargo Systems handled the shipping to Coppersmiths in Atlanta and my taxidermist picked it up for me.

I am in the planning stages working with several sponsors on the forum to hunt trophy / exportable elephant in 2025. The costs will add up but I want to be able to touch / hold the tusks back here in the states. If, after that, life allows me to go to Africa again I will probably hire a videographer through the PH and have the DVD contain the trophies and capture more than my 64 year old brain can remember.

Every time I walk into my office I run my hands across my elephant tusks. There is something very special about ivory.

Its not just Africa... Trophy shipments, Cites permits, importer fees - its beyond crazy.. I am headed to Tajikistan in Dec for Marco Polo and Ibex. The cites permits are a disaster, guys are shipping trophy to a Canadian taxidermist and hoping for a cites permit into the US.. I may not even bother bringing them home - and THAT is sad!!!

I have a very nice buff and roan in Namibia - still have not decided if I will ship them when they are ready...

And once they get home - another 5k-10k plus to mount them!!

I wont stop hunting but I think the trophies are going to be in picture frames... And I'm gonna hunt more here in the US, where I can drive, bring home the meat and NO DAMN GUN PERMITS!!
The meat is a big benefit of hunting in US and its territories. I understand that you can bring in meat from Canada after a process. Would have liked to have my meat from my Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala and Blue WB flash frozen and sent home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayStabile

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.