I may be done with africa, at least for a while

62flint

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
SA
Just recieved word that my trophies from last summer are done. Ready to be shipped. The importer I had lined up will not be taking shippments through NewYork any more. They refered me back to my exporter in africa for alternative destination. I am in VIrginia and would prefer Baltimore. I do not know about importing animals and all the nuiances that go with it. Thats why I thought I had hired a importer. They could work with the exporter and get my heads to my door. Not me running between the two trying to figure something out.

So here I am with a Buffalo hunt booked next summer. Between plane tickets, firearm paper work and getting trophies home I am really considering canceling the trip. Its just gettign to the point of the aggrivation and hidden costs just isnt worth it to me.
I also found out getting a buff/big 5/wart hog and cat back in the country is more of a issue.

I may go back but I wont be taking guns or bring much back. I may change my mind just frustrated right now.
Oh initial quote for shipping my crate to baltimore is $2835.00 231kg volumetric weight.

rant over..

Alas this is a problem that will continue to manifest if the shipping prices don’t start to come down. Rather than bringing home trophies just bring home the pictures.

HH

Alas this is a problem that will continue to manifest if the shipping prices don’t start to come down. Rather than bringing home trophies just bring home the pictures.

HH
It’s not just the shipping of the trophies. It’s the entire process of getting things straight to go back over.
When I look at the cost of flights, firearm paperwork shipping trophies home vs loading stuff up in my truck and driving 3000-5000 miles round trip to an outfitter in the states.
Dont get me wrong. I really enjoyed my trip last summer. Best trip of my life.
But right at the moment I am frustrated and considering cost vs reward to me.

I've already told my ph that we are only shooting culls in 2025.
I'm also recommending to friends and family to consider only cull hunting.

Coppersmiths is who I've used for my 6 trips have had no issues with getting stuff home. Shipping is another story.

Just recieved word that my trophies from last summer are done. Ready to be shipped. The importer I had lined up will not be taking shippments through NewYork any more. They refered me back to my exporter in africa for alternative destination. I am in VIrginia and would prefer Baltimore. I do not know about importing animals and all the nuiances that go with it. Thats why I thought I had hired a importer. They could work with the exporter and get my heads to my door. Not me running between the two trying to figure something out.

So here I am with a Buffalo hunt booked next summer. Between plane tickets, firearm paper work and getting trophies home I am really considering canceling the trip. Its just gettign to the point of the aggrivation and hidden costs just isnt worth it to me.
I also found out getting a buff/big 5/wart hog and cat back in the country is more of a issue.

I may go back but I wont be taking guns or bring much back. I may change my mind just frustrated right now.
Oh initial quote for shipping my crate to baltimore is $2835.00 231kg volumetric weight.

rant over..
Who are/were you using as an importer? I know of a couple that use NY.

HH
You can fit many more picture frames on the wall than shoulder mounts.
99% of all camp / loan rifles and ammo are perfectly adequate for the job too.

Yep, Coppersmith is your guy.
They flew mine into Atlanta and I went and picked them up. Im in Tennessee so it wasnt such a long trip.
I would assume they could fly in somewhere closer though.

Sorry to hear about your hassle but I'm glad you shared.
I'm trying to line up things for a trip next year as well.

I am beginning to think about making my last trip to Africa in 2026. I am 62 but with the cost of flights, day and trophy fees, shipping, tips, hotels, and taxidermy I may stay closer to home.

If I go after 2026 it will be for a specific animal like a leopard, hippo, or crock. Now I am turning my attention more to fishing and hunting my own property!

It’s not just the shipping of the trophies. It’s the entire process of getting things straight to go back over.
When I look at the cost of flights, firearm paperwork shipping trophies home vs loading stuff up in my truck and driving 3000-5000 miles round trip to an outfitter in the states.
Dont get me wrong. I really enjoyed my trip last summer. Best trip of my life.
But right at the moment I am frustrated and considering cost vs reward to me.

In the words of Bill Clinton....."I feel your pain"

My first trip was to Zimbabwe in July and I could not have asked for a better first time in Africa, I got an Excellent Impala, bush buck and tuskless; I just brought back the pictures, gopro footage and some hand made axes.

Firearms - Yeah the whole process of getting the 4457's signed was a major pain due to the arrogance of the local customs official at the closest office, then the joy of all the permits Zimbabwe and South Africa, not to mention the fun of lugging around a Pelican with 2 rifles in it..... Next time I'm just bringing the .470ne in a take down case and I'll use a rented rifle for any plains game.

Flights - I tried to save some money here and did economy Qatar through Doha, I spent an additional 16hrs of flight time(round trip) and will not be doing that again without a Q-suite.

The bright side- Even with all the expenses and airfare I still got to hunt Africa and kill an elephant with a double rifle for half the cost of an Alaskan grizzly hunt!

I'm sorry for those who take animals then want to ship them home, sometimes the fees end up being more than the hunt. I hunt more now than before, the difference is when I shoot something, I take pictures and walk away. It reduces a ton of anxiety and saves me enough to take more hunts.

While I’ll still have to deal with shipping I’m having euro mounts done over there and shipped here. Finished taxidermy eliminates one hassle from what I understand.
I’m planning on going over for the first time in 2026.

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties @62flint and I can't say I blame you for the way you feel. The only way is to work through it as you are doing and see how you feel later.
If I were from overseas I would limit taking trophies home, or none at all. Come to Africa for the hunt and take photos.
On the rifle side it is nice to use your own gun, but just bring one for the type of hunt you are going to do. Let PG be PG, and really immerse yourself in it. A buff hunt with your double next time.

While I’ll still have to deal with shipping I’m having euro mounts done over there and shipped here. Finished taxidermy eliminates one hassle from what I understand.
I’m planning on going over for the first time in 2026.
From what my importer states. Atlanta usda is requiring inspection on finished mounts.

I am sorry to hear about your difficulties @62flint and I can't say I blame you for the way you feel. The only way is to work through it as you are doing and see how you feel later.
If I were from overseas I would limit taking trophies home, or none at all. Come to Africa for the hunt and take photos.
On the rifle side it is nice to use your own gun, but just bring one for the type of hunt you are going to do. Let PG be PG, and really immerse yourself in it. A buff hunt with your double next time.
I was / am hoping to go with my pre64 m70 in 375hh
Only trophy I wanted bring home on my next trip is the buff skull.
My daughter on the other hand wants a caracal. Not sure details on importing them

Its not just Africa... Trophy shipments, Cites permits, importer fees - its beyond crazy.. I am headed to Tajikistan in Dec for Marco Polo and Ibex. The cites permits are a disaster, guys are shipping trophy to a Canadian taxidermist and hoping for a cites permit into the US.. I may not even bother bringing them home - and THAT is sad!!!

I have a very nice buff and roan in Namibia - still have not decided if I will ship them when they are ready...

And once they get home - another 5k-10k plus to mount them!!

I wont stop hunting but I think the trophies are going to be in picture frames... And I'm gonna hunt more here in the US, where I can drive, bring home the meat and NO DAMN GUN PERMITS!!

I have so many mounts that the only thing I bring home are European mounts. I have them done in Africa as my taxidermist uses beautiful African teak for the plaques. I have yet to see a taxidermist in NA who can match them.

I was / am hoping to go with my pre64 m70 in 375hh
Only trophy I wanted bring home on my next trip is the buff skull.
My daughter on the other hand wants a caracal. Not sure details on importing them
I can really relate to your frustrations 62flint. I and my wife just returned from a hunt in the Limpopo area of South Africa. We had a fabulous hunting experience and our safari outfit was top notch. However, I sometimes question if it's all worth it anymore when considering the frustrations of taking my own guns, air travel, custom hassles etc. Now I'm dreading the surprise charges I will probably experience trying to get my trophies home. On my first Safari over 25 years ago it was simple all around. Easy to get guns in and out. Airlines were bag and gun friendly. The taxidermy and shipping were simple and very reasonable. Things have definitely become much more complicated and expensive these days. Who knows, maybe I'll just settle on pictures going forward and/or just book cull hunts as others have mentioned. Frustrations and all, I still think Africa is the best bang for the buck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jalalabad SCR

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.