I joined the 505 Gibbs club

My favorite magazine rifle caliber of all time ! Heartiest congratulations for acquiring this piece of art.

600Gr South African Rhino monolithic brass flat nosed solids and solid shank expanders are my favorite bullets for this magnificent caliber. Those Northfork 600Gr flat nosed solids and cup nosed solids are also really good stuff. Velocity with 600Gr bullets need not be more than 2150FPS.

I highly recommend getting a Limb Saver recoil pad fitted to it. You’ve got a nice thick barrel which is the reason why the recoil was so manageable.

Aside from elephant, you’ll really enjoy it for hunting hippopotamus on land.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new addition!

Here is the recoil pad of the .505 next to the 7 Rem Mag I said hit me harder. Also the one on the right is as hard as a tractor tire
IMG_3247.jpeg

I got out to shoot today. First time shooting the .505 Gibbs for a group. Standing using shockey sticks 50 yards. The previous owner had it dialed in. I didn’t touch a thing. Using a Riton RMR red dot

It’s a pussy cat
IMG_3259.jpeg
IMG_3263.jpeg

IMG_3264.jpeg

Awesome! .. always hoped to hear more from the 505 owners. Many congrats & beautiful machine.

I'm excited for ya & to hear more, owners, experiences, etc. I've been flogging the Jeffery since I was introduced, all outside Africa though. When the 500's becomes extinctive, controlled, & the rifles dialed in, it has to be extremely impressive on DG.
1706470338502.png

I'm excited for ya & to hear more, owners, experiences, etc. I've been flogging the Jeffery since I was introduced, all outside Africa though. When the 500's becomes extinctive, controlled, & the rifles dialed in, it has to be extremely impressive on DG.
View attachment 583872
Pretty hard to pick one or the other. That’s why I have both.

Pretty hard to pick one or the other. That’s why I have both.
I took an absolute beating one outing & saved this photo .. thinking 14" may be too short. However, it seems I'm wrenching my neck, or positioning the toe of the stock high in my shoulder to get a line of sight? .. any help appreciated.

Just comparing above photos .. thank you all.
1706472870296.png

Last edited:
I took an absolute beating one outing & saved this photo .. thinking 14" may be too short. However, it seems I'm wrenching my neck, or positioning the toe of the stock high in my shoulder to get a line of sight? .. any help appreciated.

Just comparing above photos .. thank you all.
View attachment 583888
Just buy a slip on and put it over your existing pad. You definitely need more length.

I use to finish all of my Big Bore range sessions shooting a box or so of .22's. This re-established proper shooting technique that may or may have not been compromised by shooting a Big kicking gun ... Then I discovered reduced loads using Trailboss or 5744 and mostly Cast Bullets, now I can shoot the same Rifle same Trigger same Sights with little or no recoil .... after shooting my 505 or my other Big Bores This keeps the flinches at bay and gives me more trigger time with my favorite big gun

I use to finish all of my Big Bore range sessions shooting a box or so of .22's. This re-established proper shooting technique that may or may have not been compromised by shooting a Big kicking gun ... Then I discovered reduced loads using Trailboss or 5744 and mostly Cast Bullets, now I can shoot the same Rifle same Trigger same Sights with little or no recoil .... after shooting my 505 or my other Big Bores This keeps the flinches at bay and gives me more trigger time with my favorite big gun
I believe recalling you mentioning this, .. another sound idea. Many thanks.

Here is the recoil pad of the .505 next to the 7 Rem Mag I said hit me harder. Also the one on the right is as hard as a tractor tire View attachment 583627
I replaced the horrible hard butt pad on my 458 Lott Ruger Safari Magnum with a Kick Eez and extended stock by about 0.75 inches . Made a world of difference to shooting . I too am a 505 addict . Have a custom rifle with 25 inch barrels and SSB magnum action - about 11 pounds . Another nearing completion with GMA action and Krieger barrels - both made by Bob de Vries ( Kudu Services ) in Melbourne Australia .

@Daniel Cary You should get a proper gun fitting first then adjust your rifle LOP to match the fitting. Yours is definitely to short. in addition the straight style stock helps with recoil mitigation but is designed for shooting a scope. to get a good iron sight picture you have to really force cheek down onto the stock comb. On a 30/06 no problem in a 500 class rifle you get the feeling you have been in a fight after each range session.If you are planning on just irons I would look at a stock with more drop (Back to proper fitting)> the alternative would be to use a red dot as it gives you a good sight picture without the crushing your cheek into the stock. My .02 worth hope that helps.

For reference I have long arms and neck at 5'10" my rifle LOP that works best is 15 1/4-3/8's. and on a shotgun it is 15 1/2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubrin023

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?