I joined the 404 Jeffery Club today

Great looking setup. The .404 is a very accurate round with the right loads.

For when you start reloading, 400 Gr. Swift A Frames pushed by 84 Gr. of H4350 resulted in 2300 FPS and MOA groups out of my rifle.

RANGE REPORT

I made it out to the range today, a beautiful, crystal clear day with the temps in the mid 40s when I arrived at 10 am and warmed up into the mid 50s by the time I left. Surprisingly, the range was not busy. I guess people were either hunting or doing Christmas shopping (or working since it was Friday).

I debated what barrel break in procedure to use. I wasn't sure what the gunsmith did, if anything, when he test fired the rifle prior to shipping it to me. All I knew for sure was he fired 4 rounds. So I ran a few wet patches and then a dry one. One thing I discovered was the .416 jag I was using would not run through my bore protector. I guess the .375 jag is the largest that will run through this particular bore protector. Also, since the .416 jag is a bit undersize for the .423, I found running two patches worked well and could even run three patches, but it was really tight. Decided to just run two at a time.

With the barrel pristine clean, I decided to check the scope at 25 yards and see if I was on paper. I had mounted and bore sight the scope myself and can usually get it close. Using a lead sled with 25 lbs on it, I shot a couple of Hornady 400 gr DGS and was several inches low and to the left. Made a few adjustments and shot a few more rounds and was getting close to the 25 yard bullseye. I then removed the scope, utilizing the Talley Quick Detachable rings. This is my first time to use these type of rings, so I wasn't sure what to expect. With the scope off, I fire two rounds using the NEGC sights that the gunsmith mounted on the new Krieger barrel. These shots were very close the prior shots using the scope. I was impressed. Next, I put the scope back on and fired a couple more shots and they too were in the same general area, so I was pleased with the 25 yard results and decided to move over to the 100 yard range.

This is the 25 yard target with 6 bullet holes. Certainly within a MOB (Minute of Buffalo). I ran a couple of patched and solvent through the barrel and then one copper solvent patch and saw very little evidence of any copper.

upload_2018-12-21_16-32-58.png

At the 100 range, I shot more of the Hornady 400 gr DGS and then some 400 gr Swift A Frame. There was not a significant change with either of these bullets and again I had reasonably good results for the first outing with the rifle. Again, I ran a couple of patches with solvent, followed by a patch with copper solvent and no significant signs at all of copper.

This is the 100 yard target (very easy to see these holes with the scope on 6x)
upload_2018-12-21_16-39-45.png

That'll work

One of the several nice things about the 404 is that seeing the bullet holes on the target at 100 yards requires very little in the way of spotting scopes.

That is a good start, but I'm betting things will improve. Looks like you could take a couple of clicks right windage. Does your Lead Sled have a strap that holds down the front end? Restricting the upward motion will likely improve your vertical dispersion. If you haven't already read the following: https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/Hold+that+Forend.html

My Lead Sled doesn't have a strap for the forearm, but I am thinking about adding some sort of bungee system for it.

Please, take the time to read the article I posted the link to. You will find it very informative.

Beautiful rifle and scope combo! Great job on the research and development for this rifle.

Beautiful rifle and scope combo! Great job on the research and development for this rifle.
I was wondering how many cartridges does the mag hold?

Also I reccomend that you move your front talley QR lever 180 degrees so that it is not only not over your action, but partially protected by the scope bell. Once had a idiot NP ranger jam his AK into the gun rack, not only gouging the hell out of the stock on a M-70, but losing the QR lever, costing the client a nice hyena!

Great looking rifle. Hope you get it blooded soon.

I was wondering how many cartridges does the mag hold?

Also I reccomend that you move your front talley QR lever 180 degrees so that it is not only not over your action, but partially protected by the scope bell. Once had a idiot NP ranger jam his AK into the gun rack, not only gouging the hell out of the stock on a M-70, but losing the QR lever, costing the client a nice hyena!
When I made the first post I could not see your rear scope mount on my phone. Again I would recommend you change QR levers about 180 degrees to try and protect them from possibly being knocked loose. Also it will make loading the magazine a bit easier and lessen the chances of cartridge loaded or unloaded coming in contact with the levers when ejecting same.

I think you really nailed it a #1 rifle and a #1 cartridge, now go and get a #1 buffalo!d You saved enough on that rifle over some of the expensive stuff to just about pay for a buff hunt!

When I made the first post I could not see your rear scope mount on my phone. Again I would recommend you change QR levers about 180 degrees to try and protect them from possibly being knocked loose. Also it will make loading the magazine a bit easier and lessen the chances of cartridge loaded or unloaded coming in contact with the levers when ejecting same.

I think you really nailed it a #1 rifle and a #1 cartridge, now go and get a #1 buffalo!d You saved enough on that rifle over some of the expensive stuff to just about pay for a buff hunt!

Thanks for the comments and recommendations.

As far as the position of the QD or QR levers, I was simply following the instructions from Talley. Since the levers are on the left side of the rifle and the magazine is loaded and ejects to the right, I don't see the lever position being a factor at all. I will say there is a good argument to be made, from a visual aspect, to rotate both levers 180 degrees (front lever pointing forward and rear lever pointing backwards).

BTW, the mag holds 3 cartridges.

I'd like to hear some comments from Win Mod 70 owner's on loading one directly in the tube and closing the action. I do this all the time with my Ruger CRF. Any issues doing this in the Winchester?

IMG_1814.jpg

404-jeffery-5-jpg.260476

Attachments

• 404 Jeffery 5.jpg
    404 Jeffery 5.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 234
Last edited by a moderator:
I have my QD levers so they are set against the recoil impulse.

My front one is at 3:00 my rear one is at 9:00. Although as long as the levers are parallel to the bore I'm thinking they will be unaffected by forces generated during recoil.

Dave

Let me know if you need bullets.... :) These just came in today.

IMG_0312.jpg

Reactions: cmk
Tim, are those the Christmas goody bags you are handing to those in need? God bless you sir!

Seriously, I have about 70 bullets and a set of dies now. I have 60 rounds of once fired brass and 60 rounds of factory ammo to still play with. I just need it to stop raining so I can get back out to the range. Maybe Friday or Saturday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeviHyde3

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt