I hate a thief!!

The thing with EWR they only have 2 runways which is incredible. I mean how does an airport right outside of NYC only have 2 working runways?
@Obi Wan Kenobi - good observation and question. I read 10 years ago that the reason Air Travel has more delays now then ever before is a “lack of runways“. Terminals have been increased in size and parking capacity at airports has also increased BUT “No runways” have been added and None are planned to be added Nationwide. The article stated that an additional 25 runways need to be added nationwide to handle the current level of daily flights. Maybe opportunities exist for more runways in the Midwest (Denver?) but no vacant land in the Northeast….and that’s where the problems are.

I had a $1000 watch go missing from a bin going through security at the Calgary airpor, so even the TSA agents .are thieves found out later it happens often.

I had a $1000 watch go missing from a bin going through security at the Calgary airpor, so even the TSA agents .are thieves found out later it happens often.
@Spooksar - agree, if a “Pick Pocket” wanted to get a higher paying — lower risk job —— they should work for TSA. It is the perfect set up to steal items and their loss will go undetected & unresolved most of the time. I always check my valuables immediately after getting my bag and don’t leave the area until my wallet, cash, valuables are accounted for….but I’ve just been lucky because once I loose sight of my bag, or get “frisked”….I have No Idea who has access to it. It’s a decent system to protect Planes but bad for passengers valuables.

My daughter just arrived in Johannesburg on her way to film hunts for the next couple of months. Her plane was delayed getting into Newark and she barely made her connecting flight. As she was getting on the plane, they told her she would have to check her carry on case of camera equipment. Despite her better judgement and upon the United employee's insistence, she handed it over. Of course there was plenty of overhead space once she got on board. As you can already guess, her case arrived empty! B#$%$#ards stole all her equipment! She has worked hard setting up a new business and buying equipment for it to all come crashing down by some scumbag. I've sent her money to buy new equipment and hopefully she can source what she needs ASAP as she has clients coming next week. They could have cleaned her out at Newark just as easily as Johannesburg. Who knows, but I'm sure is was at Johburg.

United just sucks and I look forward to the fight to get money out of them. Thankfully she had it all insured, but I hope United steps up and she doesn't have to file a claim.
I had all of my camera gear stolen as well iN Joberg middle of June this year. I had to layover and they would not let me get my bags. When I got to Maun my locked camera boxes were empty. Who do we contact to get this handled. I have hit nothing but brick walls

Not necessarily.
Few years ago, on Dubai airport, I put my wrist watch somewhere in a carry on bag (before checking out from hotel), not to alarm on x ray security check when I pass through. I forgot this detail by the time I got to security check point

When I came out from security gate, I went to my gate.
Then I realized my wrist watch was not on me. And I could not find it in pockets.

As I actually forgot where I put it, I went to security asap, and told them I lost my watch on security check.
They showed me few watches in drawer, and told me to take mine.
None of them was mine, but I could take any.
Then I remembered where I put my watch in carry on bag, and said thanks, here is not mine.

In that kind of situation, anybody could take any watch, just to make a pick.
This could happen in Calgary as well.
How to proof some watch left there is yours, on not yours?

I would never just place a piece of expensive jewellery into just the bin at a airport.

Since we need to take off our shoes I just dump whatever else I need to remove into one of my shoes. The only person that will actually know that something in in them is the person operating the x-ray machine. A jacket pocket is also a good idea. That along with not wearing something that says, hey look at me.

Remember out of site is out of mind as far a a thief is concerned.

Global Entry conveys TSA pre-check. Only way to travel.

I had all of my camera gear stolen as well iN Joberg middle of June this year. I had to layover and they would not let me get my bags. When I got to Maun my locked camera boxes were empty. Who do we contact to get this handled. I have hit nothing but brick walls
I’m very sorry to hear that! She filed a pilferage baggage report with the airline before leaving the terminal. I would start with the airline.

As an update, she received an email after filing the claim and I believe they requested copies of the purchase receipts. The automated response said it could take four weeks to resolve. She received a follow up email today from a United rep requesting bank and/or credit card statements for all items over $800 to validate she actually purchased the items. Fingers crossed that United steps up.

Global Entry conveys TSA pre-check. Only way to travel.
Might help or might not have anything to do with the theft in this case. Having travelers check over-sized carry-ons at boarding is becoming common because travelers are tending, more and more, to ignore carry-on size restrictions. Please explain how pre check/global entry would prevent or mitigate the potential theft in the example cited in the OP? Inquiring minds need to know details instead of statement of presumed fact- sans details.

Might help or might not have anything to do with the theft in this case. Having travelers check over-sized carry-ons at boarding is becoming common because travelers are tending, more and more, to ignore carry-on size restrictions. Please explain how pre check/global entry would prevent or mitigate the potential theft in the example cited in the OP? Inquiring minds need to know details instead of statement of presumed fact- sans details.
It essentially prevents any theft from a TSA criminal because Global Entry conveys TSA pre check. It would not affect the issue experienced by the OP's daughter. I would assume you would have been able to relate my comment to the several posts above it about TSA thievery. Obviously not. Hopefully that is enough detail to make it clear for you?

Here is the latest update. United says they cannot find the "lost" equipment and has reviewed all the documentation provided. They apologize for the inconvenience, and will be sending a check for a total of $1,900.00. This is the maximum they say they are responsible for under the Montreal Convention and she can expect to receive the check in the next 20-30 bushiness days. How many of you knew this agreement existed? I'm sure its one of those things buried in the fine print, and something we all need to be aware of. Here is a link to the U.S. Dept. of Transportation website that discusses this further.

We will see where we can go from here seeing that the airline forced her to check her bag when her intent was to keep it in her possession.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wheeler

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's