I hate a thief!!

For future reference

They normally only require the traditional suitcase style carryon bags to be checked.

On commuter size planes those style bags often won’t fit in the overhead or under the seat.

Try to carry valuables in a soft style compressible bag IE: back pack or small duffle. They won’t make you check those.

On my recent flights. My wife’s smaller cubic inch suitcase style bag was checked at the gate twice. While this larger Buffalo leather duffle was allowed on. I carried a messenger bag and the duffle with 3 scopes 1 bino, camera etc
IMG_4938.jpeg

So what about rifles? Are they stolen often? I've heard of them not arriving with the owners flight but not stolen, although I'm sure it happens. Anyone here have a rifle actually stolen in Transit?

A lot of international flights in certain countries the baggage handlers don't touch the firearms....the security company collects and delivers them straight to the plane and from the plane....and when they take them from you they give to a document with the information on it including their name...so anything goes wrong you have their info.....some airlines charge, but as its to cover the cost the security company charges I really don't see why people complain....as your rifle/s should be safe

There a lot of anti gun people out there, they will make sure you gun is lost or on the wrong flight. When I worked at ups we had a big problem with them, one women destroyed over a dozen rifles before ups figured out what she was doing.
I think I had this happen after selling a Remington mountain rifle to a guy across the country last year. Except the box wasn’t tampered with, just ran over. Was crushed with tire marks. I had it in a hard plastic case, with packing material inside both box and case. Thank goodness the rifle was undamaged, but the scope eye piece was bent down to the bolt. Maven sent him a new one within 2 weeks

While she was looking for the United desk in Joburg, I called United to find out the proper procedure for reporting the theft. The idiot I had on the phone tried to tell me she needed to complete her flight to Port Elizabeth, then report it to Airlink since they were the final carrier. He couldn’t get it through his thick head that Airlink never touched the bag. It’s going to be a fight with United I’m sure.

Good news is she is now in PE and the camera store there will have all her replacement equipment in by Friday.

She had it all in a Pelican case with TSA locks, but those are easy to cut off. thank you to those that have offered help. That is appreciated. The best thing would be to use her services if so inclined. By no means did I come looking for help, but just to vent with a group of folk that I know would understand.

There's a series on Amazon Prime video called "Patriot." Sort of quirky, but interesting and entertaining. At least Season 1 was. Quit watching it on Season 2. There's a part about the CIA undercover agent having to check his hanging bag, which happens to be full of money. Baggage handler in the arriving airport steals it. In a bizarre and dark comedy way, the CIA agent tracks him down and not only kills him, but all his brothers. One against several just wasn't a fair fight.

Yes, at City Lodge.

Nevermind, I just re-read your post. Sounds like she collected her bags in Joburg before the final leg.

When I went to Namibia my bag was checked all the way through so when I overnighted they had more than enough opportunity to go through it. I won't do that again.

Never thought about how that would work with a force checked carryon.

While she was looking for the United desk in Joburg, I called United to find out the proper procedure for reporting the theft. The idiot I had on the phone tried to tell me she needed to complete her flight to Port Elizabeth, then report it to Airlink since they were the final carrier. He couldn’t get it through his thick head that Airlink never touched the bag. It’s going to be a fight with United I’m sure.

Good news is she is now in PE and the camera store there will have all her replacement equipment in by Friday.

She had it all in a Pelican case with TSA locks, but those are easy to cut off. thank you to those that have offered help. That is appreciated. The best thing would be to use her services if so inclined. By no means did I come looking for help, but just to vent with a group of folk that I know would understand.
Case was locked so she has a solid insurance claim. I suspect whoever x-rayed that case was quickly on cell to an "associate" baggage ape or flight attendant. Was the carry-on intercepted as she boarded the plane before takeoff to Joberg? Or when she checked in with baggage?

Carryon size restrictions have shrank in recent years. And for good reason. Damn I hate it when women try to bring their entire wardrobe onto the plane. Ugh! Above post is bang on. It's much easier to find some way to squeeze soft luggage into the carryon size checker at baggage check in. So they usually don't bother us with backpacks and duffle. And of course those bags are much easier to jam into crowded overhead storage.

Be aware that Joberg airport no longer allows checked baggage with loose straps. They will make you go back to the lobby and pay some vendor to shrink wrap it.

My daughter just arrived in Johannesburg on her way to film hunts for the next couple of months. Her plane was delayed getting into Newark and she barely made her connecting flight. As she was getting on the plane, they told her she would have to check her carry on case of camera equipment. Despite her better judgement and upon the United employee's insistence, she handed it over. Of course there was plenty of overhead space once she got on board. As you can already guess, her case arrived empty! B#$%$#ards stole all her equipment! She has worked hard setting up a new business and buying equipment for it to all come crashing down by some scumbag. I've sent her money to buy new equipment and hopefully she can source what she needs ASAP as she has clients coming next week. They could have cleaned her out at Newark just as easily as Johannesburg. Who knows, but I'm sure is was at Johburg.

United just sucks and I look forward to the fight to get money out of them. Thankfully she had it all insured, but I hope United steps up and she doesn't have to file a claim.
@Bearkat: I believe Airlines have a “max $$” amount that they will reimburse for lost/stolen luggage - although you might be able to negotiate more. With all the camera systems available today - no reason any bag should ever be handled Out-of-view and the cause of her loss should be easily determined…BUT Airlines might not want to solve this theft. Hopefully YOUR insurance will cover most of the claim. Very nice of you to send your Daughter $$ already, that’s a Good Dad !
Considering that the U.S. has a Federal authority over Airlines (FAA) it is amazing how little power that Agency really has - they make sure your “tray table is up, seat Not reclined on take off” but little else. A really stupid, powerless Government Agency that allows Airlines to make seats smaller & smaller, less leg room, allows airlines to sit on a runway for Hours with passengers held “hostage” and can’t get off —- But at least those dangerous “Tray Tables” are regulated !!

She flew from Houston to Newark, then to Joburg. The x-ray was done in Houston and she carried her case on without issue. Her plane was late getting into Newark, and that is where she was told she had to check the bag due to limited space. She has a nice Pelican case that is the proper carry on size. Given the type of bag and her company logo on it, its somewhat obvious there would be some good stuff in there. The theft could have happened at Newark, but I pretty certain it was Joburg.

We have been in touch with State Farm, and they have been great so far. I also reviewed the issue with a good friend of mine that is a State Farm agent just to make sure we are doing everything correctly. Were going to give the airline a little time before filing a claim on the insurance. The good thing is, her policy covered about 90% of the items that were in there. She just hadn't added SD cards, etc. to the policy. I suspect the airline will try to deny the claim or offer a fraction of the cost. That's when we will collect on insurance then keep fighting United.

I keep trying to warning you guys about hunters and people with guns and equipment flying through Newark.

I keep trying to warning you guys about hunters and people with guns and equipment flying through Newark.
Yep. Last year was our first time and besides a delay leaving, things went well. Based on this experience and from what I e read, we won’t go
Through Newark again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AidanBlum

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.