I hate a thief!!

Bearkat

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Australia, South Africa (Eastern Cape), USA (GA, LA, ME, MI, MS, NC, NH, SD, TX, VA)
My daughter just arrived in Johannesburg on her way to film hunts for the next couple of months. Her plane was delayed getting into Newark and she barely made her connecting flight. As she was getting on the plane, they told her she would have to check her carry on case of camera equipment. Despite her better judgement and upon the United employee's insistence, she handed it over. Of course there was plenty of overhead space once she got on board. As you can already guess, her case arrived empty! B#$%$#ards stole all her equipment! She has worked hard setting up a new business and buying equipment for it to all come crashing down by some scumbag. I've sent her money to buy new equipment and hopefully she can source what she needs ASAP as she has clients coming next week. They could have cleaned her out at Newark just as easily as Johannesburg. Who knows, but I'm sure is was at Johburg.

United just sucks and I look forward to the fight to get money out of them. Thankfully she had it all insured, but I hope United steps up and she doesn't have to file a claim.

My daughter just arrived in Johannesburg on her way to film hunts for the next couple of months. Her plane was delayed getting into Newark and she barely made her connecting flight. As she was getting on the plane, they told her she would have to check her carry on case of camera equipment. Despite her better judgement and upon the United employee's insistence, she handed it over. Of course there was plenty of overhead space once she got on board. As you can already guess, her case arrived empty! B#$%$#ards stole all her equipment! She has worked hard setting up a new business and buying equipment for it to all come crashing down by some scumbag. I've sent her money to buy new equipment and hopefully she can source what she needs ASAP as she has clients coming next week. They could have cleaned her out at Newark just as easily as Johannesburg. Who knows, but I'm sure is was at Johburg.

United just sucks and I look forward to the fight to get money out of them. Thankfully she had it all insured, but I hope United steps up and she doesn't have to file a claim.
Get a lawyer to help you with this. Wish you every degree of luck. Your target is the airline.

Once her Aunt finds out, I’m sure she will be happy to go to bat with United. It just breaks your heart to have you kid call absolutely distraught, and you cant be right there to help. She is tough and will get focused tomorrow after a good night rest.

Almost guaranteed to have happened in Joburg. I had stuff stolen going through both ways. It truly is a POS airport that reflects the society in which it resides. Of course I was naive to it at the time and only learned that it was a huge problem afterwards.

I have a feeling that United will take zero blame but hopefully I'm wrong.

Need to development a larger version of a Dukes Dogless coon trap just for those ramp rats to put their hand in the bag looking for something to take and bang, got’em. Choot’em Lizbeth.

SOB’s that’s horrible!!! If you set up a go fu d me I’ll be the first to send money so she can recoup!

Another example of why I absolutely refuse to fly UA.

So what about rifles? Are they stolen often? I've heard of them not arriving with the owners flight but not stolen, although I'm sure it happens. Anyone here have a rifle actually stolen in Transit?

I wouldn't assume the theft necessarily happened at the Jo'berg end. The only way the camera gear was able to be stolen was the insistence of the United employee that her carry on case had to go in checked baggage, even though it wasn't required. A lot of thieves and other crooks among baggage handlers all over the world. On my return from a South Africa hunt, one of the baggage handlers in Perth tried to steal my revolver case. Only the airline's data showing the case loaded on board in Jo'berg, and the insistence of the Customs supervisor that nothing would move until the firearm was recovered, caused it to be miraculously located.

A couple years ago, I can’t exactly remember which trip, United had some major problems on the ground in joberg which prompted them to cancel flights and prohibit flying firearms for a while.

So what about rifles? Are they stolen often? I've heard of them not arriving with the owners flight but not stolen, although I'm sure it happens. Anyone here have a rifle actually stolen in Transit?
There a lot of anti gun people out there, they will make sure you gun is lost or on the wrong flight. When I worked at ups we had a big problem with them, one women destroyed over a dozen rifles before ups figured out what she was doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profmpagi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SRS 2024 wrote on kesha's profile.
Hi there
Please contact us on sharisaf@yahoo.com

We have buffalo available at very good prices.

Kind regards
SRS
SRS 2024 wrote on crossone's profile.
Hi there

Shangani River Safaris can offer you a Buffalo hunt.

Please email us on sharisaf@yahoo.com.
Thank you.
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.