I always wanted a Big Bore by Sterling Davenport - a 500 Jeffery custom

Very nice!
FYI, that's a Wyatts "CFE" center feed mag box and follower.

Very nice!
FYI, that's a Wyatts "CFE" center feed mag box and follower.
Yes, it looks similar, but not quite the same. Perhaps Sterling's interpretation that he fabricated.

That is an exceptional rifle!

Yes, I hope to have some field data next week.

Here's my first field test - a couple FUN LOADS that won't beat you up.

STERLING-TARG-2.jpg

STERLING-TARG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good! I will have to try those loads.

I love belly floor plates, just the look alone. I keep looking at another 500 @ MNR .. something to that cartridge, idk.

I always wanted a Big Bore by Sterling Davenport - a 500 Jeffery custom

The rifle has been purchased, by its not yet in hand. I can hardly wait. A Sterling Davenport Custom has been on my want-list radar for many, many years. And finding one in classic 500 Jeffery caliber is wonderful. Here's the early specs - more info to follow when I get it in hand. This will be my second 500 Jeffery. You may recall my post earlier this year about my Custom AHR 500 Jeffery.

View attachment 621741
And my extended congrats, btw. it is a beautiful 500!

I love belly floor plates, just the look alone. I keep looking at another 500 @ MNR .. something to that cartridge, idk.
I'm thinking I might sell my AHR 500 Jeffery. I love it also, but I shouldn't hoard both 500s. { should let another shooter enjoy a classic 500 Jeffery.

500j-000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning

On your reduced loads what difference did you see from full 570-600gr loads?

Full house load with 570g bullet at 2350 fps gives 112 ft/lbs recoil

my fun load with 350g bullet at 1990 fps gives 34 ft/lbs recoil
my fun load with 440g bullet at 1850 fps gives 42 ft/lbs recoil

you can shoot my fun loads, all day long ....... full house loads, not so much

I had not ran the math on the light loads. The only loads I have shot are the full house 570-600gr loads so very familiar with the 112ft/lbs of recoil. It makes sure your fillings are in tight:A Outta::A Outta:

Do the practice loads hit fairly close to the point of impact as the full loads ant say 50yards/meters?

I site my guns with full-house loads, and let the fun-loads hit where they may. However, in most cases they are very close.

A rare gem. I really like that Rigby Type III extended floor plate.

Not a big fan of the Magna Porting, though. But this is a 1980s era rifle and Magna Ports were quite trendy back in those days, unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RheaWke57

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]