Husqvarna Mauser M96 questions

Bigmedcin

Reaction score
I recently acquired a Husky m96 actioned sporter in 8x57 mauser. SN# 80486. I am trying to get some info on the rifle, appears to be made in 1944?, it has a sporter action (no thumb slot), sporter stock and barrel 24 inch. stock is checkered and round at the end, some what flat on the bottom. has traditional wing safety, cock on close, bent bolt handle, drilled and tapped for scope, bolt has no safety lug, two small gas holes (one at 9oclock the other at 2 when closed) no gas ports in the action body, no shield on the bolt shroud such as the 98 has.

I am interested in what the model designation is?

I also read a lot of comments' on many sights related to the GAS escape of the 96 action saying if they have a case or primer rupture, gas can blow back into your face! many seem very paranoid about this! I have been hunting/shooting/reloading since the early 70s, have had a couple pierced primers and a couple case separations, I wasn't even aware they had ruptured until I opened the bolt and inspected the case and primer!

cheers

Hi Bigmedcn,

Almost all tales about M1896 Swedish Mauser weakness are urban myths! Norma used (still use now...?)
M96 action as single shot for many high intensity cartridges for their loads developments.
I have a 1893 DWM original factor sporter 7 mm Mauser and use handloads at maximum safe pressures like in the 1935 one. Not a single issue, even with two times pierced primers.

Good luck!

CF

I was very curios about the gas venting statement on a M96 and found this reference
“”
The M96 is STRONG enough, but it is not SAFE enough. The gas venting features of the M98 are absent on the M96. The m96 action will handle pretty much any SAAMI standard round, up until the point when over 40,000 psi of gas is vented directly back along the bolt into the shooters eye.

The gas vents in the M98 bolt, the gas flange on the bolt shroud, all add up to a safer action “

I am no expert but it appears that the run of the mill factory loads are safe to use in a 96 , but hot rod reload sounds iffy ? my brief glance seems like they are designed for a smaller caliber than 8x57 or 30-06 ? More like a 6.5x55 also in factory load?

hopefully some one has more experience on the subject, as I am looking hard at buying a 8x57 but would like to know if I could get it to 30-06 performance range safely as well as you probably are.
8mm seems more novel then a .308 calibration here in the USA
a 8x68s or 8mm Remington mag seems more interesting then a 300wm to me

@Bigmedcin your rifle is probably a model 640. The model 640 was made from 1944 to 1953. Your serial number would be consistent with a 1944 manufacture. The designation model 640 included some made on FN 98 actions and some on commercial M96 actions. 8x57JS was one of the standard calibres it came in. Enjoy your new rifle.

Thank you gents for the reply's.

Easy to get caught up in the urban myths and camp fire story's when one acquires and new shooter and start's to dig up a little info.
I know the m96 action has been around longer than the famed 98 and to be honest, I never have heard of anyone getting hurt with gas blow back eye injuries shooting a model 96, at least by way of case separation or primer pierced!
I suppose there are a number who have challenged the limits with embarrassing results or, had accidental double pistol powder charges etc. , there must be a least a dozen factory ammunition company's making the 8x57 with little concerns.

Strange enough when I put my old pre 64 Winchester side by side with this 96 Husqvarna, the resemblance in action design and appearance is strikingly close, never hear of the old Winchester having many issues!

Last edited:
Bigmedcin, I almost passed on posting to this thread. I am probably the biggest "fan" of the 1896 Swedish Mauser on the site. This includes the Swedes made by Husqvarna. All of my rifles are still chambered for the 6.5 X 55 round. However, my handloads are considerably hotter than the 48,000 psi most U.S. manufacturers limit these loads to. I came across an article re the strength of an 1896 Swedish Mauser action that I'm reposting here for your consideration / enlightenment.
Capture.PNG

I have owned several different Mauser actions over the years, 91 through 98 and have never had a issue with any of them. If your worried about a pierced primer and gas coming back through the bolt, just have a couple of holes drilled in the bolt, so the gas goes into the magazine well. Several other manufacturers did just this, as well as drilled a hole in the side of the receiver, some plugged this hole with softer steel, as can be witnessed on some actions as a discolored spot on the side of the receiver. The 91 on my current project list is going to be a 257 Robert's Ackley Improved. The 96 is a really strong and nice action, enjoy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velugema

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt