Hunting out of Johannesburg/Tambo vs connecting flights in RSA

Houlainol

AH member
Reaction score
I am planning my first trip to Africa. It will be a fairly typical plains game hunt. I am trying to squeeze the best value possible out of this trip. So far the two companies I have focused on require connecting flights from JNB. One to Windhoek and the other to Port Elizabeth.

Would it not make sense to find a hunting operation that provides pick up at the Johannesburg airport and be driven straight to the lodge and eliminate the expense of the connecting flight, hotel and the hassle?

Really depends on what is on your list. Also depends on how much hunting a certain area means to you. There is some good hunting with in a few hours of jo-berg. We hunt with in a 2 hour drive of jo-berg and I can highly recommend the area.

I can also say the travel is not to bad to add a flight as I have done that also with no problems at all.

Reactions: JKT
Depends on area you want to go to and what species. Most connecting flights are 2 hours or less and not that much more $ on top of the main flights. Either way you get to enjoy hunting the African continent!

It's your trip so it's up to you what you want to get out of it.
If you don't fancy the additional flight and associated cost then choose an outfitter closer to Johannesburg.
If you want to take an additional flight then Windhoek is easy and so is checking firearms and ammunition (if you are taking them of course) into Namibia.
I can't comment on internal flights in South Africa as I have only travelled through en route to Namibia.
I enjoy the onward flight as it gives you a chance to see the wonderful southern African landscape unfolding below.
And if you've travelled that far, another couple of hours to the hunting destination of your dreams is a small price to pay.

I have a lot of learning to do that is for sure. I am not sure the region I hunt is that important to me on my first trip.

My main goals:
Stop dreaming and get on the plane
enjoy the company of the PH and staff
hunt some animals
lay the foundation for future trips and get experience hunting Africa

I think picking the right hunting operation is the single most important thing for me. I am researching everyone the best I can and trying to make a decision.

Keep researching. The factors that have been presented to you can Make a huge difference.

If you're trying to save money on airfare, fly during offseason, meaning do not depart for your trip during June, July or August. Return doesn't matter, it's when you depart. If you were to go in May or September, from what I've seen you'll save anywhere from $300-500 depending on airline, where you depart from, etc.

I have seen connecting flights from Jo'burg to other RSA locations go for less than $100 roundtrip and have never paid more than $150.

Just go! Don't sweat the small stuff. Get a trophy list together . I can recommend outfits in both Namibia and the Eastern cape that can provide great hunts. Check our our great sponsors here also. Good luck.

To go to Namibia or the eastern cape of RSA from Joburg is neither a hassle or that expensive. If you are flying from the US to Joburg, it's not a bad idea to spend the night there and help you get over the jet lag. The City Lodge at the airport is not expensive, very clean and modern. Continue on the next morning. I've done the flights to Windhoek and Port Elizabeth and they are a normal, ~2 hour flight. Landing at PE was an experience to remember (PE is the Windy City). If you just want to hunt in Namibia, you can look at flights from the US to Frankfurt then Windhoek, avoiding JNB altogether. There might be other flights to Windhoek via Amsterdam or others.

just arrived home yesterday from RSA took 2:35PM flight from PE to JNB then the delta fl201 8pm home to USA. flying in and out of PE is no big deal done it more than once. THE ONLY THING YOU MUST KNOW WITH INTERNAL FLIGHTS IN RSA IS THAT ONLY SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS TAKES GUNS!! So don't book flights on mango or any or the other internal airlines only mainline south African ariways. PM me if you want and I know a few of the PH in eastern cape and can help you have hunted lots of the cape area.

I have hunted twice with outfitters near Joberg and once in Windhoek. This July I am hunting the near Port Elizabeth. I like hunting different areas so the extra flight is a added expensense and hassle is a nessary evil. I really don't mind the extra flights, but when traveling with a firearm it becomes more of a nuisance and more things to go wrong.

On another note I have noticed that the trophy frees tend to be lower from the safari services that are an extra flight from Joberg. It seems like the price difference pays for the flights.

I went to Port Elizabeth from Joberg. 375 Ruger is right, overnight in Joberg and get adjusted to the time zone and make sure the luggage arrives. On the way home I did it all in one shot.
On the way home pay attention to how they check your bags. My gun was checked to Dulles and suitcase was checked all the way through to Denver. When I arrived in Dulles my bags went to two different baggage claims in separate terminals. Huge problem that started in PE and I should have paid closer attention.

One thing to look at depending were you live is flying out of jfk. The flight goes out at 11am and you land at jo-berg by 8am. You can get to east cape or Namibia same day with a flight by noon or 1 pm. No hotel or need to overnight and you will get to either area by 3 or 4 pm.

I am planning my first trip to Africa. It will be a fairly typical plains game hunt. I am trying to squeeze the best value possible out of this trip. So far the two companies I have focused on require connecting flights from JNB. One to Windhoek and the other to Port Elizabeth.

Would it not make sense to find a hunting operation that provides pick up at the Johannesburg airport and be driven straight to the lodge and eliminate the expense of the connecting flight, hotel and the hassle?

Also minimizes the dangers of J'burg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmilSherwo

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg