Hunting on a Sunday

Where I live there is currently very little hunting / shooting on a Sunday (many types are illegal on a Sunday), although I have good friends in France and Ireland (both probably more religiously observant than the UK) who tell me Sunday is the main day for hunting.

I have asked the PH not to hunt on a Sunday on my next trip later this year. It just doesn't sit well with me and doesn't seem right. From what I have seen most PHs hunt on Sundays, even those with apparently strong religious beliefs.

If I posted this on a UK forum, I would be ridiculed, however I am interested in how others with a Christian faith approach this, as you seem to be much more open about these things on here.

Please feel free to PM me if you have a view but would rather not post.
Interesting post and replies thus far.
I think what people choose to do, or not do, is between them and God.
I was raised in church. If the doors were open for church service, we were there.

If I chose to not hunt on a Sunday I would still expect to pay whatever day fees, etc. whilst in camp if I chose to not hunt, regardless of the day or reason; I am still taking their time.

On the flip side of that, if I were at a camp where the PH chose to not hunt on a Sunday or whatever day for religious reasons, I would respect that however, I would expect to know this in advance and I would expect to NOT be charged that day because now, they are taking my time I planned to hunt.
Happy Hunting! :)

I turned my life over to Jesus Christ as a 9-year-old. That commitment is a real to me now, at 58-years old, as it was then. I study the bible daily and completely change things about my life when and if I find biblical guidance that leads me in that direction. Even though, I was raised to not do it, I now hunt on Sundays. Here's some of the bullet points for how I came to this understanding.

Exodus 20:8 - "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."

There's nothing in the bible that speaks to hunting on Sundays as being unholy or a sin. Besides, the Sabbath starts on Friday at sunset and runs through Saturday at sunset so if you want to avoid hunting on the sabbath, then no night hunting on Friday or day hunting on Saturday. Besides again, Christ has fulfilled the law of Moses...

Matthew 5:17 - “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill."

The verse I use most when talking about this with fellow believers was also spoken by Christ in...

Mark 2:27 - "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath."

If I thought hunting on Sunday was sinful, I would tell you but even if it is sinful it has no effect on whether we go to heaven or not. Christ has completely paid our debt of sin.

Romans 3:23-24 - "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,"

Christians like to feel bad and we should feel ashamed of our sinful nature in the presence of God but Christ also said in...

John 10:10 "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."

I take this last line to mean that Christ has given us eternal life and that it is okay to enjoy ourselves, ie live life more abundantly, while on Earth.

Take all this as my thoughts. You have your own decision to make and if you make that decision as a personal way of honoring God then by all means follow your heart on this.

Where I live there is currently very little hunting / shooting on a Sunday (many types are illegal on a Sunday), although I have good friends in France and Ireland (both probably more religiously observant than the UK) who tell me Sunday is the main day for hunting.

I have asked the PH not to hunt on a Sunday on my next trip later this year. It just doesn't sit well with me and doesn't seem right. From what I have seen most PHs hunt on Sundays, even those with apparently strong religious beliefs.

If I posted this on a UK forum, I would be ridiculed, however I am interested in how others with a Christian faith approach this, as you seem to be much more open about these things on here.

@Borderer
When I was a kid growing up in country NSW it was illegal to hunt on a Sunday. This changed during the early 70s.
Even tho I a Christian I have no trouble hunting on a Sunday now as long weekends are usually the only time I can get away to hunt
Bob

I am a hospital chaplain and have been a Baptist Pastor for almost 40 years. Things have changed a lot from my early years in ministry to now. We had "Blue Laws" where no business could be open. Now everything is open except Hobby Lobby and Chick-Fil-a.

My personal belief is that 40 years ago our society was very religious but very legalistic. Today, we are less religious but less legalistic. Now as I am much older, I try to have a good balance between my faith, religious worship, and personal needs. I hunt and fish on Sundays but I also regularly participate in religious/worship services.

So if I hunt or fish a few Sundays a year (maybe more than a few) and I have no guilt or shame for it. And nobody can make me feel guilty for having balance in my life. I balance the time that I need to be in the woods (for my own sanity) with my need to be connected to God and my community of faith. I find rest in both.

Borderer,

I’m reformed (OPC), so I try to observe the Lord's Day by resting from my work and recreation and only doing works of mercy, necessity, or piety. It’s tough! The historic reformed understanding of the Lord’s Day, as expressed in the Westminster standards, is pretty strict. It’s something that I and almost every believer I know struggles with. Is driving the convertible to church recreation or necessity? Can we eat out at a restaurant and make the staff work? What about my wife cooking a nice meal at home, isn’t that work? Is a nap slothful? The answers are usually not easy.

If you believe you shouldn’t hunt on Sunday then don’t sin against your conscience: take the day off to rest and worship privately, or better yet corporately if you can. Either way, I think it’s only right to pay for the day.

I’ve hunted with Jan Oelofse Hunting Safaris in Namibia. They have a church right there in their workers’ village, so I’ve been blessed to worship with them on a few occasions. It’s nothing like worship services at my usual church! Their worship service starts about 4:00pm, so sometimes I’ve hunted in the morning, other times I’ve taken the whole day off. I always pay for the whole day regardless, and I’ve never regretted the “lost” day.

Kurt

I'm going to South Africa next month. The only mention of Sunday was that we were told that there would be no laundry service. That's fine with me. I would never ask someone to work on Sunday.

Me personally, I am an average church going guy. I know the commandments and I personally have no problem with hunting on a Sunday. If the PH didn't hunt on Sundays I'd be fine with that too, as long as I knew in advance. If I were to decide not to hunt on Sunday I would ask the PH to respect that decision, but I would still expect to pay for the day.

In 4 trips over, some 20-21 days long. We hunted on Sundays. But not as hard. We would leave out in mornings at usual time. Be back Camp around 11 for a big lunch with all the family(PHs wives and kids)
Then rest and relax till about 4pm and go out and see what we could find. That was fine with me, I really enjoyed those Sundays.

When I'm in Africa I rarely know what day it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrankFieDO

Latest profile posts

Here are an update on available dates for 2025

Hunting dates available 2025
1-18 March
2-10 April
17-26 April
13-24 May
2 -30 June
8-16 July
26 July - 7 August
23 August - 30 September
LIMPOPO NORTH SAFARIS wrote on RStien321's profile.
Dear RStien321

I noticed your thread this morning.

We would be thrilled to assit you as mentioned in my comment on your thread.

We as Limpopo North Safaris has numerous areas in limpopo that vary between 10 000 to 24 000 acres that we hunt that has all of the animals on your wish list furthermore we have great deal on cull buffalo cows and bulls.

Please let me know if you might be intrested.

Regards
Sampie
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia