Hunting equipment starting out as a Professional Hunter

As an outfitter/guide in Colorado, Alaska and Mexico for 27 seasons of hunting six months each year, I often have more guiding experience than people guiding me which can make me a bit more difficult to guide. After six trips to Tanzania, Moz and Zim, I have had some great PHs and some not as great.

A major difference between guiding in Noth America and Africa is that in NA, we don’t have as many different species in one area as you do in Africa. In some NA areas, we sometimes also don’t have high populations and the animals are more scattered - herds are smaller, etc... So, in NA, I generally have found that a guide has to be very careful and slow on each stalk and final approach. Without as many species and perhaps lower populations, we may only get one or two good shot opportunities on a trip so I am very careful on stalks and final approaches. In Africa with so much more game and species, I have had some PHs and trackers be a little more flippant and they didn’t slow down enough or be quiet enough when getting close to the animal. With all the plains game and species available, I felt they probably get used to having another species of animal just around the corner and many more opportunities so some of them walked too fast for my liking or got a little sloppy or nonchalant on some approaches. This certainly wasn’t the case withh all my PHs, but I did have it happen with a couple of them. After a few days of this, I spoke respectfuly with them about it and they took it to heart and took each approach more seriously from then on.

So, my advice is not to let the length of the safari wear down your cautiousness or sneakiness on final approaches and to have your trackers do the same. Otherwise you may miss out on a few special animals.

Last edited:
I have hunted South Africa twice and the gear my PH's carried into the bush was very similar.
1st Safari: Binos, Shooting Sticks (Home Made), Pipe, Pipe tobacco, Bic lighter, cell phone, Walkie-talkie (To contact our driver)
2nd Safari: Binos, Shooting Sticks (Home Made), Cigarettes, Bic lighter, cell phone

This load out seams light to me, so I would recommend adding the following items.
- IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit)
- A good 4-5" belt knife (Good does not have to mean expensive, Mora makes several good knifes that cost less than $40 US)
- Multi Tool w/saw (A multi tool is not a substitute for a good belt knife but the extra tools do come in handy)
- 10-20 feet of para cord
- 2'x2' handkerchief (3'x3' would be better)

I personally carried more gear into the field than listed above but I am kind of a gear head.

So I am starting out as a Professional Hunter.
What would be a list of equipment that I must get?

My grab my bag kit consists of small hydrating back pack, old 10x40 zeiss binocs,personal 1st aid kit, insect repell, 2 insect head nets, waterproof matches in plastic container, small tin of balls of cotton & steel wool semi soaked in wd-40, knife. gps, xtra batteries, small torch, 2-2032 batteries, 1 can of spam, ash bag, little container holding 2 of each .375 H&H, .470, .450-400 & .416 R package of baby wipes. Sun screen. 1 pair of socks. 1 2way radio.

Land Cruiser, fully kitted, tools, shooting sticks, advance 1st aid kit, small refrig., 20 litres water, xtra new tyre tubes. air compressor. Gunsmithing bag, cleaning rod. 2 mozy nets. Spotlight, xtra rope, chain snatch block. mobile radio & 1 handheld.

Rifle, cartridge belt, floppy hat

In ten minutes fridge can be packed, rifle behind the seat or rifle rack, pack hanging from gun rack, water container filled & engine warmed.

Some items are more for or shared with client or have multi purpose, (head net for Mopani flies, cotton balls fire lighting or wiping rifle, steel wool fire lighting. Xtra cartridges, personal & client "what if". No I do not carry 2 of every cartridge.

Is that everything? Hell no, we have storerooms and workshops full of "stuff", but those things are essential.

This is correct !

Lon is the best equipt / informed PH/Outfitter I have ever seen.
His knowlege of material, guns, amo, stuff (from flashlight to knife) ist abselutly great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarilynnWi

Latest profile posts

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.