Hunting distances- how far is too far?

I shot by buff at around 80 meters, given the circumstances, we could not get any closer without spooking him, and it was our 4th day after this guy.

Shot him in the neck and he dropped in his tracks.

For DG the longest shot I have ever taken for any of my elephants or buffalo has been a tad over 60 meters.

Now, one thing to also practice is shooting off-hand and/or hasty sling. Sticks might not be practical at times. One time I was at a riverbed and the sticks sank into the sand and were unstable. Hasty sling to the rescue.

We didn’t even take sticks after elephant. It’s up close and personal and the sticks just get in the way in that thorn scrub.

Maybe we got a bit off topic with our discussion about long range shooting at game in general.

When it comes to shooting at big game in Africa, I see also no need of long range shooting. In about 30 years of hunting in Africa I have never experienced a situation where I had to shoot primarily at big game on longer distances. The cartridges that are usually used for shooting big game are, due to their external ballistics, not particularly suitable for long range shooting, but that is not the limiting factor. There are enough other big bore cartridges that would easily allow something like that, but big game is defensive game and much easier to approach than the flight prey game that was mentioned in the previous discussions.

Seems to me that everyone agrees that 300 m is about the limit for a standing shot off sticks. Anything else needs to be prone and well supported front and back of the rifle. And I reckon 99 % of the shots we are faced with in africa are inside of 300 m and standing. The bush is usually thick- only a few countries with wide open spaces and even then it is usually less than 300 m. I suspect people talk a lot about long range but very few actually hunt that way in Africa.

The areas I hunted in South Africa frequently offered long shot opportunities well beyond 300 meters. Offered but very rarely accepted by me. I shot a kudu bull at 440 yards and two days earlier a black wildebeest at 370 yards ... but not with my gun. My PH lent me his very special 270 WSM with tactical scope that he uses for culling and varmint control. The wildebeest was on a very bleek property. The drought really clobbered that place. I wondered how ants could survive. But as far as I could tell that old boy was in good shape and no one was feeding him. My last trip I shot another black wildebeest (taxidermist there ruined the first one). It was in the high country (snow visible on some peaks!) and also very open. We spotted several different lone bulls but all were 500 meters or further. We were trying to get within 200m of a heavy bossed prospect when we stumbled onto another better one bedded in a shallow draw less than 100m. I put him down as soon as he got up.
20220821_094827.jpg

...The cartridges that are usually used for shooting big game are, due to their external ballistics, not particularly suitable for long range shooting,,,

My PG rifle, at the moment, is .300 RUM, it came in handy in distances 200-300 meters in Africa last year, and 400+ meters for red stag in Argentina this Spring. Now, I have a Swarovski ballistic turret scope on it so it makes those shots pretty routine.

My PG rifle, at the moment, is .300 RUM, it came in handy in distances 200-300 meters in Africa last year, and 400+ meters for red stag in Argentina this Spring. Now, I have a Swarovski ballistic turret scope on it so it makes those shots pretty routine.

What was meant was big game hunting, not PG hunting, and the cartridges that are usually used for this.

You can also shoot at long range with a rifle caliber 416 Rigby or 458 Lott for example, but due to the residual terminal ballistic whether there is still enough killing effect, is another question.

We agree but all together that there is no reason to shoot at first at long range at big game.

I don't go over 300 yards but have killed a couple deer a bit further. But the vast majority of my hunting seems to take place within 150 yards or so, give or take. The older I get the closer I like the shots I think, but 300 is my max. I don't practice any long range stuff so I don't go past that.
@R.M.C.
The oldr I get the lazier I get.
My 25 is very capable out to past 400yrds. I have shot a few head of game at that distance in the bush with a solid rest be it sitting or another position. Forget prone getting D own is easy getting back up is the hard part.
I have shot game at home and in Namibia out to close on 300yds with my Whelen. My impala was layered at 275yds by my PH.
Just because my rifles and I are capable of longer distances doesn't mean I shoot that far regularly.
I personally like to keep my shots to 200 or less. Most game I shoot is from 50 to 150 yds. I hate walking to far to pick up my animals. That's why I use the right caliber, right bullet and I know my rifles and my limitations.
It's nice to know that you and your gear are capable of longer range IF needed. But it nicer to get closer more challenging and less tracking.
YES I have missed at 50yards as well as longer ranges but that was MY fault not the rifles. I have days when I could hit a bull in the arse with a bucket of wheat a 5 paces. Those days I stay home it's not fair on the game or my mates. They get to much pleasure laughing from my continual missing.
Bob

You might be overthinking that 375. Most PHs won't let a client shoot at buffalo past 70 yards (most of the time they aren't visible any further than that anyway). It is one thing to be "proficient" on the sticks at the range but quite another affair when an animal is in sight after a long stalk. Don't hesitate to tell your PH if you're not steady enough on the sticks. He can help brace your shooting arm. It can make a big difference.
OH, thank you for your input. I may not have stated clearly my intentions. I would only consider using either rifle on plains game only for shots out past 100y and while able to make accurate shots now off the sticks out to 300y, I have zero intention of shooting game at those distances. I hope to keep all shots inside 200y for plains animals. For Buff - that distance by necessity needs to be inside of 100y and my hope is to be able to close in to closer to 50y for a shot. 375 is in my view barely enough for CB. No matter the shot or its placement the plan would be for a rapid follow up if available. Since that 2nd shot may or may not be from sticks, I would want to be close enough for a good offhand shot if that is all that is available. I am getting better with the sticks with each outing and still have a long time to practice both the shooting and rapid reloading for 2nd shot. I have found that the big magnum actions require more oomph to cycle smoothly than most rifles. I wish I could afford a large double rifle but their cost is prohibitive. The advantage when close in is obvious.

OH, thank you for your input. I may not have stated clearly my intentions. I would only consider using either rifle on plains game only for shots out past 100y and while able to make accurate shots now off the sticks out to 300y, I have zero intention of shooting game at those distances. I hope to keep all shots inside 200y for plains animals. For Buff - that distance by necessity needs to be inside of 100y and my hope is to be able to close in to closer to 50y for a shot. 375 is in my view barely enough for CB. No matter the shot or its placement the plan would be for a rapid follow up if available. Since that 2nd shot may or may not be from sticks, I would want to be close enough for a good offhand shot if that is all that is available. I am getting better with the sticks with each outing and still have a long time to practice both the shooting and rapid reloading for 2nd shot. I have found that the big magnum actions require more oomph to cycle smoothly than most rifles. I wish I could afford a large double rifle but their cost is prohibitive. The advantage when close in is obvious.
I'm taking two rifles: 30-06 WWII Springfield for plains game and a Mauser 98 in 404 Jeffery. Everyone encouraged me to hold out for a magnum action when I built my 404 (everyone but Duane Wiebe, a custom gunmaker from Bellingham, WA - he was confident I could handle converting a 98). I'm glad I followed my heart and went with the shorter action. I'm not sure about the cycling speed but if the gun were any heavier I'd have to hunt with a forklift.

If you can get to a skeet range and practice shooting clays low gun (target pulled with gun down in ready position, mount, acquire, and fire), that will benefit you greatly. Shooting moving targets is apples and oranges compared to shooting off the bench or sticks. Like a skeet shotgun, your rifle and sights (scope or iron) need to fit perfectly for shooting moving targets. Yes, skeet is shot with a shotgun not a rifle but the principles are the same. The problem most folks have with shooting moving targets with a rifle is lack of follow through. Skeet should help with that. Maybe I'm presumptuous. Perhaps you know all this already. Hope it helps ... someone.

PS: When you can hit targets consistently low gun from skeet station eight, you are ready for charging buffalo. More than ready. I'm old and half blind so I usually shoot that one high gun.

Last edited:
a-stirring.gif
I won't take a shot over 1k.
a-blowup.gif

No matter the shot or its placement the plan would be for a rapid follow up if available.
Not quite the right plan...you should plan on placing the first shot where it needs to go with the right bullet....375 has killed and still does more buff than most.....

Remember you are the paying visiting hunter....if you are not comfortable with the shot offered or the distance say so and dont pull the trigger....

You are doing the right thing with all the practice but first shot placement is the top priority....backup shots are just a bonus and rarely available....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking two rifles: 30-06 WWII Springfield for plains game and a Mauser 98 in 404 Jeffery. Everyone encouraged me to hold out for a magnum action when I built my 404 (everyone but Duane Wiebe, a custom gunmaker from Bellingham, WA - he was confident I could handle converting a 98). I'm glad I followed my heart and went with the shorter action. I'm not sure about the cycling speed but if the gun were any heavier I'd have to hunt with a forklift.

If you can get to a skeet range and practice shooting clays low gun (target pulled with gun down in ready position, mount, acquire, and fire), that will benefit you greatly. Shooting moving targets is apples and oranges compared to shooting off the bench or sticks. Like a skeet shotgun, your rifle and sights (scope or iron) need to fit perfectly for shooting moving targets. Yes, skeet is shot with a shotgun not a rifle but the principles are the same. The problem most folks have with shooting moving targets with a rifle is lack of follow through. Skeet should help with that. Maybe I'm presumptuous. Perhaps you know all this already. Hope it helps ... someone.

PS: When you can hit targets consistently low gun from skeet station eight, you are ready for charging buffalo. More than ready. I'm old and half blind so I usually shoot that one high gun.
Chances of having to deal with charging buffalo are less than dying on the flight over....concentrate on first shot placement and any charge situation is eliminated...simple...

Chances of having to deal with charging buffalo are less than dying on the flight over....concentrate on first shot placement and any charge situation is eliminated...simple...
Maybe. I killed my first buffalo with one shot through the heart at 110 yards. Then things got exciting. The big herd bull took exception to me killing old granny and he came for us. Three times. Her death bellows called them back twice and third time the herd wouldn't follow so he gave up. They are a social animal and look out for each other ... with intensity.

@Hogpatrol
Why not???
My mate and I were sitting around the campefire with a few rums discussing hunting distances and game shot. His best shot to date was a head shot on a fallow buck running flat out at 200 yards. Hit it in the head just as it was jumping a fences. Reckoned it was the best .177 air rifle he has ever used.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

@Hogpatrol
Why not???
My mate and I were sitting around the campefire with a few rums discussing hunting distances and game shot. His best shot to date was a head shot on a fallow buck running flat out at 200 yards. Hit it in the head just as it was jumping a fences. Reckoned it was the best .177 air rifle he has ever used.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
I won't take a shot much over 300 yds and only in ideal conditions. No wind, not looking into the sun, me not out of breath. I like the stalk, not sniping. Like my Dad taught me, "Sneak up on him, kick him in the ass and shoot him when he jumps up." The area we hunted back home was thick woods and brush so most shots were under 50 yds.

I might be a bit more cautious on my shooting even though I would say I shoot well. One thing I always take into account is my travel time and line of sight when I move to the animal after it has been shot and are follow up shots possible. I would hate to lose sight after the animal is initially engaged and ideally I would be able to follow up with any additional shots required until its downed. I would assume way more risk in open terrain than I would in thick brush or hilly terrain. Honestly its all a quick assessment on the ground as how far I will responsibly engage.

I've hunted with guys where 25 yards was too far, even with a rest. SMH Personally, I like them out there a far piece. Meat tastes better.

Shooting cross canyon in the west is really interesting. Where we hunt Coues there is no way to close to the same side of the valley/canyon. The cover is 8 to 20 feet high in many places so you would simply lose them if you moved across.

The game is to sit on a high point and glass everything out to a mile or so. You’re looking to catch them in an opening. Once you locate something of interest you close to a facing hillside and determine if it is a desirable trophy and responsible shot.

Once you have an animal down, you likely have to leave a spotter with eyes on the spot to guide the shooter in. Guys who play this game spend a lot of money on optics and rifles that will reach well beyond what any of us will ever face in Africa. It’s a tough and addictive game.

I have faced similar situations with elk, although not at the extreme of Coues deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odell45C92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?