HUNTING Crocodile

Croc offer one of the toughest shots of any african game, unless you are hunting in a game pan.

You must make a perfect bullseye on your first shot every time. Please allow your PH to assist with an anchoring shot (shoulder). Do not hesitate to put a second or even third shot into its brain, spine or shoulder.

When possible I like to place my bait (after drag). After I have spotted a big croc. If we have decided nothing smaller than 14 ft then place bait 14 feet from water.

A blind is usually necessary and should be carefully blended into the environment. When possible use a natural blind, boulders and maybe a leafy branch, etc.

Three days ago the ferry docked here in Mlbizi while the passengers were loading and unloading a 14-15 footer took a cow right at the ramp.
The on scene fishermen were able to recover the cow.

Watching clients with various calibers, I would pick .338 WM with a premium expanding soft.

We are about 90% shot fired and 80 recovered location Zambezi River.

Good luck, Lon

Croc offer one of the toughest shots of any african game, unless you are hunting in a game pan.

You must make a perfect bullseye on your first shot every time. Please allow your PH to assist with an anchoring shot (shoulder). Do not hesitate to put a second or even third shot into its brain, spine or shoulder.

When possible I like to place my bait (after drag). After I have spotted a big croc. If we have decided nothing smaller than 14 ft then place bait 14 feet from water.

A blind is usually necessary and should be carefully blended into the environment. When possible use a natural blind, boulders and maybe a leafy branch, etc.

Three days ago the ferry docked here in Mlbizi while the passengers were loading and unloading a 14-15 footer took a cow right at the ramp.
The on scene fishermen were able to recover the cow.

Watching clients with various calibers, I would pick .338 WM with a premium expanding soft.

We are about 90% shot fired and 80 recovered location Zambezi River.

Good luck, Lon
That is our plan, except we won't be baiting from what I understand. One shooter for the spine and another for the vitals and maybe?? a third for the rear spine leg area or vitals also?

That is our plan, except we won't be baiting from what I understand. One shooter for the spine and another for the vitals and maybe?? a third for the rear spine leg area or vitals also?
I assume you are hunting a farm pan. (No bait). Why no brain shot? Front should (anchor) gives you more time. Any way do as your PH says

I assume you are hunting a farm pan. (No bait). Why no brain shot? Front should (anchor) gives you more time. Any way do as your PH says
Mozambique. I would prefer to keep the skull intact. I never guide the PH.

Reptiles sure are different. I shot the head off a copperhead and its heart was still beating over an hour later when I skinned it and gutted it.

My son was a little guy when he shot an alligator. Good-looking head shot. It looked plenty dead. It twitched its leg a little when we picked it up for a picture but told him not to worry, it was a reflex. After a half hour in the truck the damn thing was as alive as the day it was born.

Shot placement with a quality expanding bullet is far more important than anything with a croc. I shot this croc last September in Lake Nyerere in the Selous, using my .338 win mag and a 225 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw. Perfect brain shot and the croc barely twitched his tail for a couple seconds. You DO NOT need a big caliber like a .375 or bigger. Personally, I’d be comfortable down to about a .30-06 shooting a heavy, quality bullet.

Use a caliber you shoot well, know exactly where it hits at various distances and use a bullet like a Bearclaw, A Frame, Partition or TTSX and if you hit it right you’ll be fine. The brain is a very small target, but so is the neck and it’s a bit more difficult aiming point than the brain.

IMG_0976.jpeg

IMG_1008.jpeg

Last edited:
For those interested I used the web link for making poster files and got some broadside croc photos and played around with it. Turned out well, I think.

It will make for some realistic target shooting anyway.

Attachments

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SedellmcGriff

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]