Hunting clothes, Mango Worms, and need to iron clothes after line drying. Is the new non cotton hunting apparel going to give you Mango Worms?

Shooter375

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
South Africa, USA, Eswatini
I was just reading a thread about the best camo patterns for hunting in the Limpopo province of South Africa and it was stated that new non cotton hunting apparel should be avoided because of the need to iron clothes in that and other areas of Africa in which Mango Worms are present. I learned about mango worms the hard way when I was about 11 years old. I grew up in South Africa and my family and I went to a place called Linga Longa in what is now the Limpopo province. My clothes got wet and my mom rinsed them off and hung them up to dry. Several weeks later I had painful boils in my buttocks, legs, and arms. One evening I squeezed the boil and worm popped out. Horrified I popped all the other boils and worms popped out. We later learned that they were Mango Worms. When clothes are line dried they must be ironed to kill the eggs of the Mango Fly.
VLIEG-WURMS.jpeg

"Mango flies (Cordylobia anthropophaga) are a species of blow fly that's native to certain parts of Africa, including South Africa and Uganda. These flies have several names, including putsi or putzi fly, skin maggot fly, and tumbu fly. The larvae of mango flies are parasitic."
"How does a human get Mangoworms? Mango flies or myiatic flies are common in these areas, especially during the hot and humid summers. If clothes are hung outside, it is possible for a female fly to lay eggs on them, especially when the clothes were contaminated with urine or faeces. The clothes are then worn and the eggs penetrate the skin."

Your trackers most probably won't be in camo. Just get khaki or green all cotton clothing. I found a lot of hunted once Tag brand clothing on eBay.

WTFrig? I always assumed clothes got ironed because it was "the safari way" but now I learn that there's a health benefit.

Anyone got a load worked up for a double to take on the Mango Fly?

What I did was take cheap T-shirt (Army surplus), underwear and socks and treat my outerwear with Permethrin. The cheap stuff was worn once and tossed.

Putzi flies or Mango flies are terrible. Living in Zululand I probably see 20 patients a year, mostly kids with it. If there are multiple (10,15 or more) we take it out under anaesthetic.

Permethrin is not readily available in RSA, so tumble drying and ironing is your best prophylaxis

Guess I’m buying cotton clothing for my trip next year. Leaving the modern synthetic clothing at home. This is gross.

on another note, this is why I joined AH so I could learn all the little stuff I could. Thanks for this little gem.

You need to check with your outfitter since quite a few of them no longer iron clothing due to the synthetic clothing that hunters bring.

Watching Brandon, gives me worms.

I'd be more concerned with tsetse flies, mosquitos and pepper ticks or Kuiu worms eating a hole in my pocketbook.

I am same. More worried about the ticks. I got tick fever on my second trip. Sure don't want that again!! Cotton clothes and everything treated with Sawyers before I go.

Other than lightening the color of the clothes, would bleach in the rinse water help?

The new cotton clothes have as much chance of giving you “Mango worms” as a cigarette box wrapper has of causing lung cancer.

Some people do not seem to get it. The Putsi fly lay their eggs on the clothes while they are drying, hanging on the clothes line. Ironing the clothes kill the eggs that have been laid. Any reputable safari company will see that all items that are washed are also ironed.

I think it’s as simple as asking the landowner/ PH/ Outfitter if Mango flies are a problem in the area. If not dont worry. If hunting in Northern KZN, Mpumalanga, KZN or some of our neighbouring countriesand the property actually has mango trees, or flies have known to occur there, the staff will be well aware of the need to iron or tumble dry clothing. Winter is also not prime time for them. The chances of getting African tick bite fever is still much higher

Has there been recorded cases where clients collected this souvenir?
What regions of Africa are infested with these flies?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
francisgriffin2

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia