Hunting Books

The wait is nearly over, and I'll be heading to Namibia in 8 days time....I'll need a book or two to read on the plane. Ideally something about hunting in Africa, but willing to consider any recommendations (within reason; my wife will be in the next seat!).

When heading to Namibia you should read something relating to Namibia. I would recommend ASK THE NAMIBIAN GUIDES BY DIANA RUPP. There is hardly a better book if you want to hunt in Southern Africa. Lots of informations on all aspects of hunting, provided by highly experiened Namibian professional hunters. Also excellent advise on rifles and calibers.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For RECENT publications, you can read ALL four of Kevin Thomas's books. RWAKKY soecisp stuff in them and an easy and very instructive read.
" There's something about Buffalo" is my favourite!!
 
some favorites that should be included in any hunters library, these are very basics, there are hundreds more titles worth owning, but since you asked. . .
Death in the Long Grass-by Capstick
The Dangerous Game-prothero
Horn of the Hunter-Ruark
It Shouldn't Happen-Robertson
The High Road to Adventure-Annabel
Green Hills of Africa-Hemingway
Safari Rifles 2 and
From the Cape to Kasserine-Boddington
Bell of Africa -Bell
I haven't read it yet but its on my "to purchase" list-African Medium Game Cartridges-Pierre van der Walt-Maybe you can check it out and give me a review. . .
 
"Kambaku", by Harry Manners
"Ivory: power and poaching in Africa", by Keith Somerville
"Safari: a dangerous affair", by Walth Prothero

Did anybody read, or can recommend, or would be a bad choice? What would you say guys?
 
"Kambaku", by Harry Manners
"Ivory: power and poaching in Africa", by Keith Somerville
"Safari: a dangerous affair", by Walth Prothero

Did anybody read, or can recommend, or would be a bad choice? What would you say guys?

Kambaku is a great read. I can gawk at the cover for hours.:)
 
I’ve struggled to get through j a hunters books-some better than others tho. Maybe it’s the period they were written or something but slow reading for me.
 
Two of my all time favorites (already mentioned)
“White Hunters” by Brian Herne
“Hunter” by J.A. Hunter
 
IMG_0256.JPG

My auction winnings arrived in the post yesterday!
 
"African Game trails", and "Death in silent places", I have! And read!
"Safari - the last adventure" and "A man called lion", most probably will be my next in collection!

Its a pity to keep them in a box, unless just received!:sneaky:
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,571,917
Members
169,464
Latest member
Levergunsite
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top