Hunting Asia: Tajikistan vs Kyrgyzstan vs Kazakhstan vs Mongolia

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
For those of you who have hunted Asia, mainly for mountain game; what are the key differences between the hunts in these countries? I'm sure a few others could also be included like Turkey, Pakistan, Nepal etc.

If your goal is to pursue one of the Asian Argali or Ibex species, which country provides the best hunts in terms of:

Overall cost - Considering both the total cost but also the value provided.

Trophy Quality - I've read certain countries produce larger sheep while others produce larger ibex. The largest of each don't seem to coexist in the same areas.

Logistics - Ease of travel, amount of travel time required to reach the hunting grounds. Level of difficulty importing firearms, exporting trophies etc.

Physical difficulty - Type of terrain, elevation of hunting grounds.

Personal Safety - Political instability, local crime, unethical outfitters etc.

Which Asian countries are standouts in this regard? Any that you've hunted that you wouldn't return to?

This will likely be a once in a lifetime experience for many of us so im hoping to narrow down a short list of the best hunts.

Primarily for an Ibex hunt, don’t think I can afford the Argali.

I am long out of date and have only hunted Kyrg. It was a good hunt. I have a report on here somewhere..... Use great caution in choosing an outfitter. The wrong one will fail to ship trophies if you get anything at all. @LivingTheDream has a hunt report on here for Mongolia. He took 2 different species of Ibex. It was apparent that the groundwork done ahead of time by the outfitter contributed to his success. Good longer range shooting was a huge help too. Sounded like no safety concerns. Right now he is hunting and may reply later to you.
Bruce

For those of you who have hunted Asia, mainly for mountain game; what are the key differences between the hunts in these countries? I'm sure a few others could also be included like Turkey, Pakistan, Nepal etc.

If your goal is to pursue one of the Asian Argali or Ibex species, which country provides the best hunts in terms of:

Overall cost - Considering both the total cost but also the value provided.

Trophy Quality - I've read certain countries produce larger sheep while others produce larger ibex. The largest of each don't seem to coexist in the same areas.

Logistics - Ease of travel, amount of travel time required to reach the hunting grounds. Level of difficulty importing firearms, exporting trophies etc.

Physical difficulty - Type of terrain, elevation of hunting grounds.

Personal Safety - Political instability, local crime, unethical outfitters etc.

Which Asian countries are standouts in this regard? Any that you've hunted that you wouldn't return to?

- Cost to value is a hard metric. That heavily depends on what you would like to hunt and are looking for. There's a big price gap between sheep and ibex. Ibex hunting is relatively inexpensive for a mountain hunt. Terrain is difficult in all asian ibex hunting.

- All travel to Asia is long! On my hunts all import firearms, export/import of trophies, etc, was all handled by the outfitter booked with.

- Trophy quality will be based on the area you hunt vs country. In every country there are better areas than others.

- More than anything above the outfitter you choose can make or break your hunt.

- Cost to value is a hard metric. That heavily depends on what you would like to hunt and are looking for. There's a big price gap between sheep and ibex. Ibex hunting is relatively inexpensive for a mountain hunt. Terrain is difficult in all asian ibex hunting.

- All travel to Asia is long! On my hunts all import firearms, export/import of trophies, etc, was all handled by the outfitter booked with.

- Trophy quality will be based on the area you hunt vs country. In every country there are better areas than others.

- More than anything above the outfitter you choose can make or break your hunt.
I'm primarily interesting in the Ibex hunts as the Argali are out of my price range.

In terms of cost/value I was curious to hear accounts of how hunting Ibex compares in Tajikistan v Kyrgyzstan v Kazakhstan v Mongolia in terms of overall cost and level of adventure.

I've heard that for example, Tajik can be more of a car based hunt vs Kyrgyzstan requiring a multiday horseback ride to get into the hunting grounds.

In terms of overall trophy quality and size it sounds like Kazakhstan/Kyrgyzstan have the largest Ibex, Tajikistan the largest Argali?

Mongolia sounds like both Ibex species are 25-50% more expensive than the mid-Asian ibex in the Stan's.

Meant to be going to Kazakhstan this October ( 14th ) but this whole Iran thing now got me thinking. Got to fly over Iran also to get to Almaty

Meant to be going to Kazakhstan this October ( 14th ) but this whole Iran thing now got me thinking. Got to fly over Iran also to get to Almaty
Most flights land in Istanbul first right? It looks like the flight path would be north of Iran from there if going to Kazakstan.

I’d be hesitant traveling in that area as well right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brno602

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]