Hunt expectations, how many animals?

Folks, this is as much a combination of 1) curiosity and 2) guessing bank balances.

What would you expect on a plains game hunt in South Africa? An animal every other day on average?

Im going for an 8 day hunt. I’m basically planning to go with the flow and not going to stress about how many animals and ticking items off a list. Main hope would be for a kudu, this may take the week in itself. Appreciate some other things may get added in along the way.

What’s an average for a good hunt and a difficult hunt? Weather and a lots of things can all come into it I suppose. A piece of string question! My goal has always been as fair chase as possible and not ‘canned’ hunt so the total numbers won’t make or break the trip over the experience if that makes sense..
Consider 1.5 days per animal, if hunting trophy.

That being said, culling is much more prolific.

Good hunt / difficult hunt. Depends on many factors, many factors are individual and personal. One is your shooting skill, shooting from stick, 200 meters or more.

Next is, do you want your trophies to be all in SCI record book, or you are more flexible? One - two, top class trophies, 4 - 5 average?

Are you species specific, or flexible? If you dont get nyala, maybe bushbuck will be satisfactory?
Etc,
So defining success is up to you. Of course all your expectation needs to be discussed in advance with your PH, so you will not be disappointed.

Folks, this is as much a combination of 1) curiosity and 2) guessing bank balances.

What would you expect on a plains game hunt in South Africa? An animal every other day on average?

Im going for an 8 day hunt. I’m basically planning to go with the flow and not going to stress about how many animals and ticking items off a list. Main hope would be for a kudu, this may take the week in itself. Appreciate some other things may get added in along the way.

What’s an average for a good hunt and a difficult hunt? Weather and a lots of things can all come into it I suppose. A piece of string question! My goal has always been as fair chase as possible and not ‘canned’ hunt so the total numbers won’t make or break the trip over the experience if that makes sense..
The difficult hunts often occur if you're being really picky about trophies. If you want a 58" kudu, you may spend several days hunting only that. If you want a black zebra like the one in my avatar, you could be there 2 weeks and never see one.

In Limpopo anyway, bushbuck is universally challenging.

For nearly everything else, if you're happy just getting your first batch of African wall hangers for your trophy room, game is abundant, and 1 or 2 animals a day is do-able. My blesbok was first thing in the morning, just before 7. My zebra was around midday, but everything else was in the last hour of light. The warthog was somewhere between 90 and 120 seconds before the very last light of the day.

I got 6 animals in 6 days, and there would have been a 7th if the missus' aim had been true on day 7.

And no small part of such a journey is just luck. I put everything down with one shot per animal, but lots of these critters can soak up a bunch of lead. That's made worse if the first shot didn't go quite where you wanted it to go. You could spend a day or 2 tracking an animal. Hunting is "easy," tracking a wounded animal is bloody hard work.

I booked a 10 day hunt for PG in Limpopo. I was dropping animals at a fast pace so I took 2 days off. 1 day we went Pilanesburg Park and the other we just went souvenir shopping in town. I still managed 10 animals. Here's how my hunt went-
Day 1 - Zebra and Zebra (offered a special deal on a second one - they wanted them gone).
Day 2 - Kudu and Blesbok.
Day 3 - No animals harvested by me. My buddy got his Cape Buffalo this day).
Day 4 - Blue Wildebeest and Impala.
Day 5 - Red Hartebeest
Day 6 - Warthog
Day 7 - Pilanesburg Park
Day 8 - Souvenir shopping in town.
Day 9 - Golden Wildebeest.
Day 10 - Golden Wildebeest. (PH didn't love my 1st one and offered me a 2nd one).

This is a great thread.
I'm considering an oddball attack plan for next year.

I'm going for a cape buff on an 8 day hunt in RSA and if I get one early on, switching to sleepless night mode to go after a hyena.

I'm not really after anything else as I'm not taking home trophies except the buff & possibly the hyena.
But you never know... something may tempt me.

I booked a 10 day hunt for PG in Limpopo. I was dropping animals at a fast pace so I took 2 days off. 1 day we went Pilanesburg Park and the other we just went souvenir shopping in town. I still managed 10 animals. Here's how my hunt went-
Day 1 - Zebra and Zebra (offered a special deal on a second one - they wanted them gone).
Day 2 - Kudu and Blesbok.
Day 3 - No animals harvested by me. My buddy got his Cape Buffalo this day).
Day 4 - Blue Wildebeest and Impala.
Day 5 - Red Hartebeest
Day 6 - Warthog
Day 7 - Pilanesburg Park
Day 8 - Souvenir shopping in town.
Day 9 - Golden Wildebeest.
Day 10 - Golden Wildebeest. (PH didn't love my 1st one and offered me a 2nd one).
With whom did you hunt?

I need to reply to the comments individually but just to add - partly because bushbuck has come up a few times..

I’m basically going to tell the PH, if you think something is well worth taking, let’s just do it. Really decent hartebeest or waterbuck? Okay, you’ve got more clue than me! They’re probably not top on my list but not to pass up an opportunity..

There’s things I’d like eg a warthog where, if the chance arises, fab. I’d actually quite like to hunt one. It’s just interesting to see what’s reasonable expectation wise..

The challenge of a bushbuck appeals but at the same time, it’ll be more a case of right place, right time. Weirdly blesbok doesn’t appeal and I can’t say why!

Depending on how open/common your list is, 1 or 2 per day is common. It's also not unusual to go a day or 2 in between while looking for something. Be flexible and willing to adjust. I had NO plans for another sable on my last hunt but when I got there and heard about a 48" sable on the back of the property, my plans changed.

I have a decent amount of experience but I love talking to those who have done WAY more than me. One of the things they all tell me is when you find something special, do whatever you can to take it. You will probably never see it again...and that's the cheapest you will ever find it since it's right in front of you. That's often how very experienced hunters ended up with some of their most memorable trophies.

The challenge of a bushbuck appeals but at the same time, it’ll be more a case of right place, right time. Weirdly blesbok doesn’t appeal and I can’t say why!

Bushbuck are wonderful...and in my opinion, blesbok are not very interesting. Opinions will always vary on this. For some reason, the blesbok, bontebok and tsessebe (all related) don't interest me at all from a hunting perspective. I've been around hundreds of them and I like to watch them but just have NO interest in them as a trophy. They are fun to watch run...super fast. Everyone will find something that doesn't interest them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geri37L030

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?