Hunt expectations, how many animals?

wildfowler.250

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Folks, this is as much a combination of 1) curiosity and 2) guessing bank balances.

What would you expect on a plains game hunt in South Africa? An animal every other day on average?

Im going for an 8 day hunt. I’m basically planning to go with the flow and not going to stress about how many animals and ticking items off a list. Main hope would be for a kudu, this may take the week in itself. Appreciate some other things may get added in along the way.

What’s an average for a good hunt and a difficult hunt? Weather and a lots of things can all come into it I suppose. A piece of string question! My goal has always been as fair chase as possible and not ‘canned’ hunt so the total numbers won’t make or break the trip over the experience if that makes sense..

On my first safari I booked a 8 day hunt for several animals and hoped for a couple more. The kudu evaded me for 7 of those 8 days. We would see them but not be able to get on them or they were not big enough. Through those other days I went about collecting the other animals on my list as they came along while I was looking for the kudu.

On my last safari I had kudu on my list of 12 animals on a 10 day hunt. Surprisingly I shot one on the first day out of the lodge, that same day I collected a impala and a blue wildebeest and missed a shot at a warthog. The second day I took two more animals that were on my list and then my luck went cold for a few days. You just never know. My primary animal on this hunt was a warthog and I didn't get him until later.

Remember that as you are hunting that most of the animals taken as the opportunity comes up. You may be hunting for a specific one but then another one shows up. Just let your PH know what animals are your priority are but don't pass up one if he tells you to shoot it.

It all depends on terrain and conditions. I hunted the Eastern Cape, and the Bushbuck was one of my toughest hunt. Walked up and down those mountains and logged close to 8 miles that day. I went for 4 animals and walked out with 7. Go with the flow, and if one animal pops up and you like him, take him. Good luck!!

I’ve seen it quoted before, one animal per day and a half of hunting. Of course this depends on the abundance of trophy animals on your list, your shooting ability, how picky you are and just plain old luck.

All of the above is certainly true, but part of the equation is what trophy size are you looking for? Your ph will try for the best the area can provide, but some want only that magical 60inch Kudu. Some are more than happy with the experience of hunting something that others might consider cull quality. Talk with your ph and let him know what you have in mind, and you can work out a plan from there.

You already got great advices, it depends, on what you want.

I would say, go with a wishlist, but shoot only those animals which fill your expectations, you can always go back to Africa :ROFLMAO:

I shot my eland on my 4th safari, I knew exactly what I was looking for.

Spend the time looking for a great kudu.
Worry about the rest as targets of opportunity.

You didn’t mention the area or time of year that you’ve booked for.

Best advice for anyone hunting africa the first time is to have an open mind every time you go out. I think its good to have a "list", but be prepared to sway from it. On my first trip to South Africa I planned to take 5-6 animals and ended up with 15. Second trip was about the same; planned on 9 and ended with 14. Unless it's only dangerous game you are hunting, the plains game opportunities will surely show up. I agree that you can always go back, but live each day like it's your last and take advantage of being there!

I hunted plains game animals in the North West Province of SA a couple times. Depending on your games package, its not unrealistic to harvest at least one trophy a day on the average; sometimes two a day, with one or two days of no success. The PHs will ensure you have the most shot opportunities possible, but when a specific animal just doesn't present itself, ask for an alternative animal. If the hunt is successful early, you may be asked if you want to continue hunting. So......ensure you have money to pay for the extra trophy fees.

All of the above is certainly true, but part of the equation is what trophy size are you looking for? Your ph will try for the best the area can provide, but some want only that magical 60inch Kudu. Some are more than happy with the experience of hunting something that others might consider cull quality. Talk with your ph and let him know what you have in mind, and you can work out a plan from there.

Awesome advice guys. Just interesting to read the perspectives. I’m going basically with an open mind. If I could have a 10/10 week then it’s kudu , nyala , springbok, impala, zeb, black wildebeest but there’s a few others around that that could sub in or out.

I’m basically after a decent representative. Along the lines of a ‘nice’ older one rather than X number of inches of that makes sense.

Other half thinks it’s my one and only time. May have to start putting 1-2k a side for a good few years for a return for a cape buff. Maybe I can swing that for a 40th further down the line!

The Kudu and Nyala in my opinion are one of the most beautiful animals you could hunt. I would include a Bushbuck too; they are feisty little buggers specially if wounded. This is how I look at it. I go for the experience and the hunt, not the inches. It is my hunt, and I don't need to please anyone with size or record books. Hunt hard, have fun, take lots of pictures, take notes for your journal, and enjoy. You will be hunting in Africa.

Set expectations at the start with your PH. If you’re on a budget and don’t want to go over, a good PH will ‘slow down’ if you’re off to a quick start so you don’t get all your animals with several days remaining and nothing to do

There are too many variables to really answer that question. It might take a week to get your kudu but you’ll take other animals along the way. On an 8 day hunt I think 5-6 would be a good number. You won’t feel like you passed up to much and got a good hunting experience. One per day 8 animals is very realistic if you’d like. Taking more than one per day l’d question if the hunting was designed for the experience or volume. Your list of animals is good but I’d really encourage you to take bushbuck if you get the opportunity and warthog.

I would say success is very dependent on you and your shooting ability. Most shots on game are going to be quick. So you will need to practice getting on sticks quickly, and make accurate shot. Some times you may have a 5 second shot window. If you have that dialed in and choose a reputable outfit, you will have a very successful hunt.

I went on my first and only safari looking for 4 animals in 8 days. I ended up with 6 and as stated in my hunt report had to call my wife twice to wire more money. The first time it was funny, the second not so much. It was once in a lifetime for me so mission accomplished. I have since rebooked for 2026 and my wife is going with me.

Don't pass up any "True" PG Trophy waiting for a KUDU. Hunt the Kudu, just be open to opportunity. Have a list, a budget, and discuss it with your PH. Would you pass up a big trophy Waterbuck on the way to shoot a Kudu? Or pass a nice Bushbuck while scouting for a Nyala? I don't or wouldn't. Lots of people do and with regret.... I've taken two guys on Safari who both passed several classic PG on a quest for a Kudu. Both regretted passing on nice Wildebeest, Gemsbok, Big Blesbok, and Nyala... I've shot 22 animals in 11 days and all were great trophies - that count may have included a Jackal... But, it also included a big Black Wildebeest and a really nice White Blesbok, while getting my Springbok slam...

I've also had Roan evade me for several trips...

I'm also not sure what your idea of a "canned hunt" is?

Folks, this is as much a combination of 1) curiosity and 2) guessing bank balances.

What would you expect on a plains game hunt in South Africa? An animal every other day on average?

Im going for an 8 day hunt. I’m basically planning to go with the flow and not going to stress about how many animals and ticking items off a list. Main hope would be for a kudu, this may take the week in itself. Appreciate some other things may get added in along the way.

What’s an average for a good hunt and a difficult hunt? Weather and a lots of things can all come into it I suppose. A piece of string question! My goal has always been as fair chase as possible and not ‘canned’ hunt so the total numbers won’t make or break the trip over the experience if that makes sense..
`
I'm going to offer a bit of a different perspective than most...

It's great to have a wish list of animals, but the best part of hunting in Africa is the opportunity at a multitude of different species. Those who take advantage of what Africa offers usually have a better experience than those hunting strictly from wish their lists...

In regard to what is an average number of animals to expect to take, it can vary for a number of factors as some who replied to you have mentioned... I would only add that if the outfitter is guaranteeing you that you will fill your list and more, I would be skeptical of the type of hunt that they are offering you.

Successfully hunting quality, mature animals of any species should not be a given especially on a large property that offers a true fair chase experience... If you are not particular, and will be happy with any representative species, then you can expect multiple shot opportunities each day. However, if you are hunting for fully mature animals, or larger trophies, you will be challenged if you are indeed hunting with an operator offering a true fair chase experience on large properties...

Ask questions of your intended outfitter about property sizes, numbers of naturally propagated animals present, and if females and younger males are represented in all age classes which is indicative of a property that is not put & take...

Good luck and have fun!

I also hunted hippo for 4 Nights, which cut into my opportunity for a couple other animals I wanted for the same trip! I still shot 13 animals total for 12 days of hunting and most were not typical PG. That's just hunting...

As mentioned above, the country, size of the property, game density, time of year, weather, luck etc will set some limits to what will be possible in terms of shot opportunities. Have a list, but be prepared to deviate, and accept that you perhaps should not try to tick everything off on the first trip.

I'm on the @Nyati side here (if there are sides :)), i.e. don't go blasting away just because there are animals in the crosshairs. Personally, I'd rather have more hunting, less shooting. Go look for that special animal, take a target of opportunity if want to. Savour the moment - so to speak. If every day was your birthday, you'd get pretty tired of eating cake.

On my last trip I shot 2 animals in 8 days. Very happy with the results. I wouldn't have minded to also get a chance on an eland, but my feet were pretty much done walking, and... there is always a next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SharonCook

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?