Humans Were Apex Predators For 2 Million Years

In his very good book, “the white bushman”, Peter Stark, one of Etosha’s first game rangers, often writes of how the bushman that still lived in the park would chase lion or cheetah away from a kill to get some fresh meat.

View attachment 496276
Wow that would take some nerves. Must of been an impressive feat to see the times it worked at least.

To top it up, I am sure ancient human had no time or knowledge or washing the meat properly and seasoning it. Imagine how they ate meat before inventing fire.

Wow that would take some nerves. Must of been an impressive feat to see the times it worked at least.
There was an episode of Ivan Carter's W.A.R series where he looked at how the Masai are able to poison lions. Carter showed that it is actually fairly easy for humans to chase lions off a kill, at least during the day.

I could not find that episode unfortunately but here is a youtube video of some hunter/gatherer group chasing lions off a kill:

I have seen this video before. This is, perhaps, representative of how early humans may have gotten substantial amounts of meat with little effort.

Risky business, but then so was life for early mankind.

Rather alarmingly, I was with my PH the late Willie Englebrecht in Botswana driving around in the Okavango region in1990, when we pulled up short and Willie says, "look over there, dinner for the boys!". 2-3 lioness were chowing down on a fresh buffalo kill.
Willis says, "lets go chase them off". I'm like, who me?!o_O
He jumped out waving his big old mangy hat and starts yelling, so I jumped out of the Landy too and whoop a couple times sort of half heartedly, and dang if they cats didnt seem more scared than I was!
With no more than a couple of growls and tail twitches, they took off and Willie and "the boys" chopped off a big slab of meat and we drove away and left the cats to come back and finish their meal.
It was never a dull moment with Willie, I promise you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteSchnel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?