Howdy from Wyoming

Captain Jack

AH member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I live in northern Wyo and have been an avid elk hunter since the age of 12. Been dreaming about hunting in Africa since a similar age, and finally am in a place financially and in terms of my work schedule where that's actually feasible. I'm shooting for a trip in 2025.

I've also been a bit of a "firearms enthusiast" (read: gun nut) my entire life, and have been handloading, shooting at long to extreme ranges, and generally messing around with various firearms since my teens. The high velocity, ultra-low-drag long-range stuff doesn't really interest me that much anymore; big bore bolts and doubles do (as do single action revolvers, but that's another story). In that vein, I'm looking to pick up my first .375 H&H bolt gun in the near future, CRF of some type, probably either a Ruger M77 or a newer Model 70. Something to ease me into the safari rifle world, shoot a few elk with (why not), and hopefully take to Africa before too long.

At any rate I look forward to being a part of the forum!

~J

Welcome from Utah-sounds like we have a bit in common. I also have a hunt booked for 2025, going back for a third time. It gets into your soul and just keeps calling you back!

Welcome aboard!

Hello Captain Jack,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

When you get a spare minute, have a peep into the Khomas Safaris website.

Just like yourself, I am a firearms enthusiast in general, but especially on hunting rifles.
The .375 H&H is my favorite hunting cartridge, despite some other excellent calibers that I have also shot various critters with.
I live in Alaska and have shot more than a few caribou and black tail deer here, with the .375 H&H cartridge.

I’ve not hunted grizzly with it (too miserly to pay for the hide being made into a rug).
But if I ever did, the .375 and 300 grain A-Frame would be my definite preference.
Likewise, I have used this cartridge on several African trips, in both South Africa and Namibia as well.
In thick foliage and out on the treeless tundra, it has never let me down.

Anyway cheers for now,
Velo Dog.

Welcome aboard mate, you are from the one state i want to live in if i ever migrate from Australia!

Plenty of knowledgeable and friendly people here, you are in the right place!

Thanks everyone! This really does seem like a great forum. Great to see so many Wyo folks on here too.

Velo Dog, I will check your company's site out. I'm still very much in the research phase as far as safari planning goes.

The old .375 and a quality 300 grain bullet looks to be a reliable and versatile load. I'm a little envious of everyone who lives in Alaska, and am hoping to go hunt up there sometime as well. I've been up that way chasing salmon on the fly a couple times, but haven't gone after anything with fur yet. Alaskan moose and griz or brown bear are on my list.

Cheers!

Welcome to AH!!

Good day, Captain Jack! Welcome from us too!

Thanks everyone! This really does seem like a great forum. Great to see so many Wyo folks on here too.

Velo Dog, I will check your company's site out. I'm still very much in the research phase as far as safari planning goes.

The old .375 and a quality 300 grain bullet looks to be a reliable and versatile load. I'm a little envious of everyone who lives in Alaska, and am hoping to go hunt up there sometime as well. I've been up that way chasing salmon on the fly a couple times, but haven't gone after anything with fur yet. Alaskan moose and griz or brown bear are on my list.

Cheers!
I highly recommend Khomas Highlands. Top notch outfit.

Attachments

• 380189823_830503245744047_5217094171892802738_n.jpg
    380189823_830503245744047_5217094171892802738_n.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH Captain Jack! looking forward to having you participating.

Welcome to you! I love your state of Wyoming!

Welcome from Gillette. A good number of Wy folks here. Been over 9 times now. Any questions I'll do my best to help.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVWClevela

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]