HOWDAH Pistols for stopping the charge

Right, but I would still stay within the pressure limits and not modify the guns chamber, or some fool.down the road will blow it up. I think the idea of either brass 410 or the 460 brass is on the right track. Or step up to a bigger/stronger frame
Yes thank you. Ive "seen" stuff like you are talking about, so I totally get what you are saying. In the past when Ive done projects that rechamber, Ive always remarked the barrel. Back in the day when the Remington XP was only made in 221 Fireball. I wanted in in 223. It was a simple rechamber buy the gunsmith laughed that most of the charge was for restamping 223 on the barrel so it didnt look like a APE did it.

I recently had an ENCORE barrel made in 7x57. I asked the maker to mark it 275 Rigby. He suggested he would also mark it 7x57 so there was no confusion down the road

Modern howdah gun = .500 S&W any day.

Cool project you’re doing.

Modern howdah gun = .500 S&W any day.

Cool project you’re doing.
Honestly I think 500S&W is too hot BUT a 500 SW cartridge loaded with BP would be a modern answer to the original concept. Sadly the Pedersoli frame is gonna be pretty much limited to something on a 45 Colt based cartridge.

Honestly I think 500S&W is too hot BUT a 500 SW cartridge loaded with BP would be a modern answer to the original concept. Sadly the Pedersoli frame is gonna be pretty much limited to something on a 45 Colt based cartridge.
I mean the S&W revolver itself. Those tiger hunters would have dreamed to have something like that with them up there.

I mean the S&W revolver itself. Those tiger hunters would have dreamed to have something like that with them up there.
Except they would have had the good taste to spare us all the aesthetic abomination that is the S&W internal lock.

I suppose BUT as we are talking arms length, Im not sure 5 shots from a super magnum would be the best option. Picture yourself on a stampeding elephant with a Mahoot (elephant driver???) infront of you while the Tiger is climbing up the elephants side. One maybe two shots is about all you are going to get and a 577 Snyder has considerably LESS recoil than a 500S&W. Can you fire a 500 magnum one handed? Would you?

I have an Encore with a 10" barrel in 500 S&W. Its a handful with TWO hands. Your mileage may vary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidTaine

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?