Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
RMEF, Trout Unlimited - LIfe
Hunted
USA, Namibia
I've read through a lot of the travel tips, but am not seeing specific recommendations for how to fly with a bow, arrows and broadheads to Africa. I'm going on my first safari in less than three months and want to make sure I've got all the necessary gear and accessories to do it safely and successfully!

I have an SKB hard bow case that has foam padding/slots for arrows, a separate hard tube case for arrows if necessary, and a small hard sided broadhead case. The bow case and broadhead case can both be locked, and I have a handful of TSA locks. I'd really appreciate some advice from seasoned traveling archers as to how I should pack and lock (or not) this equipment. Everything locked in the hard bow case? Arrows and broadheads separate? Do I need extra locks?

If it helps, I'm taking the Delta 200 flight to Jo'burg, overnighting at Africa Sky House, and then flying on SA Air Link the next morning up to Windhoek where Kowas will pick us up.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Sent you a PM, too much information for me to post on how I travel with two bows when I fly.

Kowas will pick us up.

I don't have any advice for traveling with a bow but will be watching this for future advice.

Enjoy Kowas! We had a great time with them I'm February!

WM, I traveled quite a lot with my hunting bow set up, mainly to Canada from Italy - usually 2/3 flights go and likewise back, and I can tell you that everything has always been very simple. Totally different from firearms. I use an hard and tough case, mine is a Stormcase, the arrows placed in a tube together with the bow, the broadheads disassembled (I use Slick Tricks) in a little plastic box. I put all the stuff that the Customs would need to check (knives, broadheads, metallic items like flashlitghts and so on ) in a clear plastic bag and put it in the main luggage with all the rest.
From my Country I do not need any license or paperwork since Archery Gear is "Sporting Gear", the same as fishing rods, for example. The same to import it in Canada. Canada Customs has always been super correct, fast and kind. Never had a problem.
This is my personal experience and I hope it will help!

@WMU05 You are not going through Amsterdam so you will be fine.
No firearms, no permits required on your route/destination.
The case will likely end up at SAPS offices because it is black plastic and has a lock.
Lock it, you don't need people getting into your stuff or being banged open.

Good luck on your hunt.

I've read through a lot of the travel tips, but am not seeing specific recommendations for how to fly with a bow, arrows and broadheads to Africa. I'm going on my first safari in less than three months and want to make sure I've got all the necessary gear and accessories to do it safely and successfully!

I have an SKB hard bow case that has foam padding/slots for arrows, a separate hard tube case for arrows if necessary, and a small hard sided broadhead case. The bow case and broadhead case can both be locked, and I have a handful of TSA locks. I'd really appreciate some advice from seasoned traveling archers as to how I should pack and lock (or not) this equipment. Everything locked in the hard bow case? Arrows and broadheads separate? Do I need extra locks?

If it helps, I'm taking the Delta 200 flight to Jo'burg, overnighting at Africa Sky House, and then flying on SA Air Link the next morning up to Windhoek where Kowas will pick us up.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

As others have mentioned, there are no special requirements for traveling with archery equipment into South Africa. Delta regards archery equipment as sporting gear so it does not have to be declared. With that said, do not be surprised if you are questioned by the counter agent upon check-in if your SKB bow case contains firearms. Ignorant agents who are not familiar with their own rules may require you to take your case to TSA to be inspected anyway.. Be prepared for that inconvenience.

You can put your bow, arrows, and broadheads all in the same case together. It does not have to be separated. I highly recommend you lock your bow case, and pack everything as thought it is going to be tossed around because it most definitely will be... I have had my SKB case cracked and the handle busted off twice by the baggage handlers on the RSA side. I also recommend marking your sight and rest settings with tape to ensure that you can easily re-tune in case they get moved during the trip.

I also recommend to all of our bow hunting clients to label their bow case on at least two sides with 2" or larger vinyl lettering with the words "bow & arrows" and "no guns"... As Brickburn mentioned, on the RSA side they often confuse bow cases for gun cases and will mistakenly send your bow case to the SAPS office instead of the oversized baggage office where it is supposed to end up. I have never had my bow case sent to SAPS since labeling my case. If your case is not in the oversize baggage area, do not leave baggage claim area as you will not be allowed to re-enter. Alert your PH or meet & greet person to check SAPS for you before leaving. If it is not there, I would then go to the baggage claim office to report a lost bag. It's very rare for them to lose your case altogether. Delta is very reliable in that regard.. More than likely it is SAPS if not in baggage claim..

Also be prepared to have your bow case inspected by Customs upon your return home in Atlanta. Your bow case will go to the Customs office with the gun cases regardless. They started doing this a few years back and the process is inconsistent depending on the day and who the agents are. Best case scenario, they will have you open the case, look inside and wave you on... Worst case scenario, they will have you remove your bow, arrows, and broadheads and spray everything with a disinfectant spray. The details are in an ongoing thread linked below if you are interested...

Good luck and have a great safari!

Last edited:
Okay, for those that could use the information.
I always believe Murphy goes along on my hunts. With that in mind, I always travel with two bows.
If my daughter is on the trip, then we which each have an SKB double bow case. One has one of her bows along with one of mine. The other case has my other bow and her other bow. If one case gets lost, damaged, or whatever, then we still have a bow each.
I haven't packed my arrows or broadheads in the bow case in the past, but I will in the future as you'll read below why.
Arrows go in arrow tubes, then packed in the luggage bag. Broadheads go in separate padded boxes, then into the luggage bag. We also carry two wrist releases each, which again, one in each luggage bag.
Basically, if traveling together, we make sure we have some of hers and some of mine in each luggage bag. Gear, not clothes or toiletries. :LOL:
This did bite us in the butt this past year and I have learned from it. Upon arrival in Botswana, we found that we had our two bow cases, but both luggage bags were left on the plane and were now en route back to Ethiopia. It would be a three day wait for them to return. In the meantime, we had four bows, but no arrows, no broadheads, and no releases.
Luckily for us, our PH had his bow equipment, as did the family that owned the property we were hunting on. Their oldest boy is an avid bowhunter, so he had his gear there. Between them, we managed to make do with their arrows, broadheads, and releases until our luggage arrived.
When I leave next month, I'll be traveling only, I will have both of my bows in the one double bow case. Inside, I will pack 4-6 arrows, 4-6 broadheads, and one release. I'll divide the arrows and heads so that I have a couple to shoot from each bow, just in case one of them was somehow damaged in transit, such a string getting nicked or something. I also remove the sights from the bows and wrap them in padding, then pack those inside the bow case. I will use clothes and other soft items to layer between the two bows and to provide another layer on the top bow as I close it.
That was another plus for me in Botswana. I advised my daughter before we left to make sure and pack a set of hunting clothes in the bow case. When we got there and found the issue with the missing luggage, I had a pair of shorts, a pair of long pants, a couple of t-shirts, socks, and underwear. My daughter, she had none, as she did not heed my advice. She hunted in borrowed sweatpants, t-shirts, a men's XL hunting jacket, and white tennis shoes for three days. Her $200 white shoes were red from the dirt by day two. I'm glad she bought them with her own money. It was a hard lesson learned, but at least it all worked out.
Atlanta is the only airport that has made me open the bow case upon my return. In Houston and Chicago, the cases came out at the oversize luggage area, no inspections. In Atlanta, the guy at customs had me open it. He saw the bows. He asked where my arrows, broadheads, and boots were. I told him those were packed separately in my luggage bag. He said "good enough, you're good to go" and that was it. As I was closing my bow case, the next guy behind me opened his bow case and I could see his bow, his arrows, and his boots, all packed into the bow case. The inspector got on his radio and requested someone to come with disinfectant so they could clean his gear. With this in mind, when I return in July and I will have to go through Atlanta again, I will pack the boots, the arrows, and the heads in my luggage bag. They may make me take them out this time, I don't know, but I have a six hour layover, just in case. They can inspect and clean to their hearts desire.
I use feathers and not plastic vanes, so for the arrows that I'm packing in the bow case this trip, I bought a six pack of the plastic vane/fletch protectors for like $10 off of eBay. That way I can pack them in the case and not damage the feathers.
I had custom made decals made, around 6"x 8" that indicate that it's bow only, no gun or ammo. Not that it is a guarantee, but still, each case has one. I will post pictures of it later.

TSA locks, I'll admit, I'm anal about this, but you don't have to be. I removed all of the standard locks that come with the SKB case and replaced them all with the TSA lock latches. Then, I use a TSA cable lock to lock the case though the holes provided. This lock has the indicator to let me know if it was opened. This lock is a three digit combo lock style.
My luggage bag is as big as is allowed in order to meet size requirements for a standard 50 lb piece of luggage. It is NOT large enough to put my bows into. While that would be nice, those bags are often too large and don't meet the size requirements. Neither does to the SKB bow case, but most airlines will allow it as it is considered "sporting equipment." Delta never questions it and has never charged me. United charged me one time, just for the leg from Houston to Chicago. Ethiopia didn't charge me. Qatar didn't say anything the first trip, then tried to charge me the second trip, but I fussed and told them they never charge me for the case, and they said okay, and did not charge me. So this is really up to the person that checks you in as to what they decide at the moment. I have, when the first leg is considered a "domestic flight" checked my bags a curbside with Skycap guys. They don't care, they ask if it's a bow or gun, I tell them bow, they say okay, and take it. I tip them $10-20 and off I go. So in June, I leave San Antonio heading to Atlanta, first leg is a domestic flight. I may try and see if they will take it at the curb and tip them well. They may take it, they may not, but it's worth a try. Better to tip them $20 than having the crabby, by the book, lady at check in charge you $200 for it being oversize. Worst thing could happen is the guys outside realize it's an international flight and send you inside, then you have to deal with them. Try to 'convince' them that you travel with this bow case all the time and they've NEVER charged you before.
Just make sure both pieces are under 50 lbs each. I always carry a small scale to weigh my bags and I take with me so I can weigh them for the return trip. They often overlook the size and won't bother with the measurement, but they will weigh ever piece due to aircraft takeoff weight and fuel loading requirements. One time, since the plane was at 100% capacity, they weighed every carry on bag as well. It was that critical for take off weights.
For my luggage bag, I also use the TSA locks. I pull the locks all to the same location on the bag and to deter the thieves from opening the zipper, watch the YouTube videos on how this is done, I use different colored zip ties to secure them all together. They can still get into the bag, they just won't be able to zip it back up and conceal their thieving actions. Thus far, I have never had an issue with someone getting into my bags.
My backpack is my carry on and that is where I store my cameras, iPad, cell phone, charge cables, batteries, a color copy of my passport, an extra shirt, pair of socks, underwear, etc. in case I need to change clothes on a long layover or some unforeseen emergency. Jackets take up a lot of room in your luggage, their too big for the carry on, so I usually just 'wear' it through TSA then store it in the overhead. It depends on the time of year of your trip and the time that you arrive in country as to the temperature. In June, at night, it could be in the 30's, so a jacket once you step outside is nice to have handy, or pack it on top of everything else in your checked bag so it's easy to access.
ID holder with neck lanyard.
I wear a holder around my neck that contains my actual passport, my Texas DL, one credit card, one debit card, all of my cash, and a key for the TSA locks for when they ask you to open your luggage. My passport goes inside of one of those protective sleeves to prevent being accessed remotely. Not sure it if works, but I do it anyway. Be sure to keep a few small bills, such as $50 worth of $5's, for tipping if you have someone assist you with your bags, or for the skycap fellas. This should be easy to access and not combined with your big stash of cash. Don't pull out a wad of $100 bills to get to a $5 bill, unless you feel like getting mugged.
I normally pack my ankle height hunting boots in my luggage bag and wear comfortable shoes on the plane. This year, I'll probably pack my new Courteney's in by backpack and carry them with me so I'll have them with me.
Cameras. I usually carry these with me in my backpack so that they are always with me. Range finder and binoculars I usually pack in the luggage. Usually I don't pack the binoculars to save the weight, but I may pack a pair on this next trip.

Recapping:
  • Double bow case;
    • two bows
    • half dozen arrows, four for primary bow, two for backup bow
    • half dozen broadheads, to match each bow
    • one release
    • sights, removed and wrapped for protection
    • at least one day of hunting clothes
  • Luggage Bag
    • one release
    • rest of your arrows in tubes
    • rest of your broadheads in small padded boxes (I got mine off eBay for around $5)
    • rest of your clothes, misc gear, binoculars, range finder, etc.
    • copies of passport
    • range finder
    • binoculars (if I take a pair)
  • Carry on (backpack)
    • color copy of passport
    • cameras
    • cell phone
    • iPad
    • charge cables for iPhone/iPad
    • portable battery to recharge cell phone
    • 1 shirt, 1 underwear, 1 pair socks, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.
    • 1 TSA lock key
  • ID holder with neck lanyard
    • Passport
    • Drivers License
    • Cash
    • 1 Credit card & 1 Debit card
    • 1 TSA lock key
Hope this helps? It is not a perfect list or way to do it, it is just the way that I do it. I know many people have recommended to me to get the check luggage bags that will hold your bow inside of it as it will not be set aside for inspection as a possible firearm case. It just goes along with the rest of the normal luggage. While that is true, I have yet to find one of those bags that will not be dinged for being too big and they are extremely expensive to purchase. They are BIG. So, it is a blessing and a curse. It won't cause you a delay going through Customs, but you are almost guaranteed to be charged for an oversize piece of luggage, which is typically $200. The oversize bow case, that meets the under 50 lb requirement, may or may not be charged for oversize

Okay, for those that could use the information.
I always believe Murphy goes along on my hunts. With that in mind, I always travel with two bows.
If my daughter is on the trip, then we which each have an SKB double bow case. One has one of her bows along with one of mine. The other case has my other bow and her other bow. If one case gets lost, damaged, or whatever, then we still have a bow each.
I haven't packed my arrows or broadheads in the bow case in the past, but I will in the future as you'll read below why.
Arrows go in arrow tubes, then packed in the luggage bag. Broadheads go in separate padded boxes, then into the luggage bag. We also carry two wrist releases each, which again, one in each luggage bag.
Basically, if traveling together, we make sure we have some of hers and some of mine in each luggage bag. Gear, not clothes or toiletries. :LOL:
This did bite us in the butt this past year and I have learned from it. Upon arrival in Botswana, we found that we had our two bow cases, but both luggage bags were left on the plane and were now en route back to Ethiopia. It would be a three day wait for them to return. In the meantime, we had four bows, but no arrows, no broadheads, and no releases.
Luckily for us, our PH had his bow equipment, as did the family that owned the property we were hunting on. Their oldest boy is an avid bowhunter, so he had his gear there. Between them, we managed to make do with their arrows, broadheads, and releases until our luggage arrived.
When I leave next month, I'll be traveling only, I will have both of my bows in the one double bow case. Inside, I will pack 4-6 arrows, 4-6 broadheads, and one release. I'll divide the arrows and heads so that I have a couple to shoot from each bow, just in case one of them was somehow damaged in transit, such a string getting nicked or something. I also remove the sights from the bows and wrap them in padding, then pack those inside the bow case. I will use clothes and other soft items to layer between the two bows and to provide another layer on the top bow as I close it.
That was another plus for me in Botswana. I advised my daughter before we left to make sure and pack a set of hunting clothes in the bow case. When we got there and found the issue with the missing luggage, I had a pair of shorts, a pair of long pants, a couple of t-shirts, socks, and underwear. My daughter, she had none, as she did not heed my advice. She hunted in borrowed sweatpants, t-shirts, a men's XL hunting jacket, and white tennis shoes for three days. Her $200 white shoes were red from the dirt by day two. I'm glad she bought them with her own money. It was a hard lesson learned, but at least it all worked out.
Atlanta is the only airport that has made me open the bow case upon my return. In Houston and Chicago, the cases came out at the oversize luggage area, no inspections. In Atlanta, the guy at customs had me open it. He saw the bows. He asked where my arrows, broadheads, and boots were. I told him those were packed separately in my luggage bag. He said "good enough, you're good to go" and that was it. As I was closing my bow case, the next guy behind me opened his bow case and I could see his bow, his arrows, and his boots, all packed into the bow case. The inspector got on his radio and requested someone to come with disinfectant so they could clean his gear. With this in mind, when I return in July and I will have to go through Atlanta again, I will pack the boots, the arrows, and the heads in my luggage bag. They may make me take them out this time, I don't know, but I have a six hour layover, just in case. They can inspect and clean to their hearts desire.
I use feathers and not plastic vanes, so for the arrows that I'm packing in the bow case this trip, I bought a six pack of the plastic vane/fletch protectors for like $10 off of eBay. That way I can pack them in the case and not damage the feathers.
I had custom made decals made, around 6"x 8" that indicate that it's bow only, no gun or ammo. Not that it is a guarantee, but still, each case has one. I will post pictures of it later.

TSA locks, I'll admit, I'm anal about this, but you don't have to be. I removed all of the standard locks that come with the SKB case and replaced them all with the TSA lock latches. Then, I use a TSA cable lock to lock the case though the holes provided. This lock has the indicator to let me know if it was opened. This lock is a three digit combo lock style.
My luggage bag is as big as is allowed in order to meet size requirements for a standard 50 lb piece of luggage. It is NOT large enough to put my bows into. While that would be nice, those bags are often too large and don't meet the size requirements. Neither does to the SKB bow case, but most airlines will allow it as it is considered "sporting equipment." Delta never questions it and has never charged me. United charged me one time, just for the leg from Houston to Chicago. Ethiopia didn't charge me. Qatar didn't say anything the first trip, then tried to charge me the second trip, but I fussed and told them they never charge me for the case, and they said okay, and did not charge me. So this is really up to the person that checks you in as to what they decide at the moment. I have, when the first leg is considered a "domestic flight" checked my bags a curbside with Skycap guys. They don't care, they ask if it's a bow or gun, I tell them bow, they say okay, and take it. I tip them $10-20 and off I go. So in June, I leave San Antonio heading to Atlanta, first leg is a domestic flight. I may try and see if they will take it at the curb and tip them well. They may take it, they may not, but it's worth a try. Better to tip them $20 than having the crabby, by the book, lady at check in charge you $200 for it being oversize. Worst thing could happen is the guys outside realize it's an international flight and send you inside, then you have to deal with them. Try to 'convince' them that you travel with this bow case all the time and they've NEVER charged you before.
Just make sure both pieces are under 50 lbs each. I always carry a small scale to weigh my bags and I take with me so I can weigh them for the return trip. They often overlook the size and won't bother with the measurement, but they will weigh ever piece due to aircraft takeoff weight and fuel loading requirements. One time, since the plane was at 100% capacity, they weighed every carry on bag as well. It was that critical for take off weights.
For my luggage bag, I also use the TSA locks. I pull the locks all to the same location on the bag and to deter the thieves from opening the zipper, watch the YouTube videos on how this is done, I use different colored zip ties to secure them all together. They can still get into the bag, they just won't be able to zip it back up and conceal their thieving actions. Thus far, I have never had an issue with someone getting into my bags.
My backpack is my carry on and that is where I store my cameras, iPad, cell phone, charge cables, batteries, a color copy of my passport, an extra shirt, pair of socks, underwear, etc. in case I need to change clothes on a long layover or some unforeseen emergency. Jackets take up a lot of room in your luggage, their too big for the carry on, so I usually just 'wear' it through TSA then store it in the overhead. It depends on the time of year of your trip and the time that you arrive in country as to the temperature. In June, at night, it could be in the 30's, so a jacket once you step outside is nice to have handy, or pack it on top of everything else in your checked bag so it's easy to access.
ID holder with neck lanyard.
I wear a holder around my neck that contains my actual passport, my Texas DL, one credit card, one debit card, all of my cash, and a key for the TSA locks for when they ask you to open your luggage. My passport goes inside of one of those protective sleeves to prevent being accessed remotely. Not sure it if works, but I do it anyway. Be sure to keep a few small bills, such as $50 worth of $5's, for tipping if you have someone assist you with your bags, or for the skycap fellas. This should be easy to access and not combined with your big stash of cash. Don't pull out a wad of $100 bills to get to a $5 bill, unless you feel like getting mugged.
I normally pack my ankle height hunting boots in my luggage bag and wear comfortable shoes on the plane. This year, I'll probably pack my new Courteney's in by backpack and carry them with me so I'll have them with me.
Cameras. I usually carry these with me in my backpack so that they are always with me. Range finder and binoculars I usually pack in the luggage. Usually I don't pack the binoculars to save the weight, but I may pack a pair on this next trip.

Recapping:
  • Double bow case;
    • two bows
    • half dozen arrows, four for primary bow, two for backup bow
    • half dozen broadheads, to match each bow
    • one release
    • sights, removed and wrapped for protection
    • at least one day of hunting clothes
  • Luggage Bag
    • one release
    • rest of your arrows in tubes
    • rest of your broadheads in small padded boxes (I got mine off eBay for around $5)
    • rest of your clothes, misc gear, binoculars, range finder, etc.
    • copies of passport
    • range finder
    • binoculars (if I take a pair)
  • Carry on (backpack)
    • color copy of passport
    • cameras
    • cell phone
    • iPad
    • charge cables for iPhone/iPad
    • portable battery to recharge cell phone
    • 1 shirt, 1 underwear, 1 pair socks, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.
    • 1 TSA lock key
  • ID holder with neck lanyard
    • Passport
    • Drivers License
    • Cash
    • 1 Credit card & 1 Debit card
    • 1 TSA lock key
Hope this helps? It is not a perfect list or way to do it, it is just the way that I do it. I know many people have recommended to me to get the check luggage bags that will hold your bow inside of it as it will not be set aside for inspection as a possible firearm case. It just goes along with the rest of the normal luggage. While that is true, I have yet to find one of those bags that will not be dinged for being too big and they are extremely expensive to purchase. They are BIG. So, it is a blessing and a curse. It won't cause you a delay going through Customs, but you are almost guaranteed to be charged for an oversize piece of luggage, which is typically $200. The oversize bow case, that meets the under 50 lb requirement, may or may not be charged for oversize
Amazingly detailed! Thank you for taking the time to share. I think you eliminated the need for a phone call!

Four trips from Alaska and back with a single bow in an SKB, no issues other than I had to get broadheads when I arrived last time because I transitted through Amsterdam, and they don't allow them, period. I put my arrows in a tube in the case and broadheads in a MTM broadhead box in the SKB when I took them. Other than that I also packed some clothing, binocs and such in the case. Two regular pad locks in the holes and the latch locks locked to make my case less inviting that an unlocked one. TSA may look at it here, same with Customs when you get back. Once they see it's a bow, no issues. Zero issues in Namibia picking it up. First time in South Africa I spotted it in the heavyweight area near the luggage carousel before they sent it to SAPS and I walked off with it from there telling the attendant it was a bow, and they accepted that. One official type person asked me what I had in the case as I walked out, I told him a bow and he let me pass on by. So perhaps look for it in the heavyweight area but expect it to go to the cop shop as others mentioned. I did leave out of Cape Town and security didn't want it opened, instead they had it X-rayed to prove it wasn't a gun before it got put on the luggage belt. Ok, play the game. Second time in South Africa it had my ammo in with the bow so it and my rifle in the other case went to the SAPS station to deal with that paperwork. Oh, I have nothing on my cases to indicate it's a bow. I do have two white stripes painted on them which makes them easy to find since no other SKB has those. Little trick I learned in the military when a lot of luggage looks alike.

I'd really appreciate some advice from seasoned traveling archers as to how I should pack and lock (or not) this equipment.

Thanks, I did add a lot of detail as your original post was a specific question as to how to pack your gear in your case and luggage, so that is how I addressed my answer, and I tossed in my experiences with the airlines and customs for reference as to what you can expect on airline policy for SPORTS EQUIPMENT, OVERSIZE, OVER WEIGHT luggage, and what you may run into with Customs upon your return.
But please, fill free to call anytime if you have questions. I know I called several AH members before my first trip to Africa and I'm still in routine contact with many of them, even after all these years.

I should have added, in my ID holder, I will be carrying my COVID vaccine card and my Global Entry Card.

In my backpack, I will carry a COVID test kit, just in case, and a prefilled out Health Form that South Africa requires at entry. You can get them online and fill them out in advance, or just carry a pen with you and fill it out on the plane.

I hope I answered your question and maybe this thread will help others as they prepare for their great adventure?

Here are some pictures of items I mentioned in my post.
This is the decal I had custom made. This one is still new and it is rolled up and not lying flat, hence the weird shape.
bow only.jpg

Broad head box on eBay
broadhead box.png

Passport holder
passport holder.png

Fletch Pods
fletch pods.png

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to mention. TSA locks are not TSA locks. TSA has not require those locks in years. I asked TSA back in 2016 before my second trip about them and they told me regular padlocks are legit and I have used normal locks ever since. Putting TSA locks on your bags at this point is akin to not using locks since the thieves have the keys for TSA locks. If TSA looks at your bags they'll do it right in front of you and they'll either have you put the locks on or do it themselves. I've had both done, seems each airport does it a little different.

One thing I forgot to mention. TSA locks are not TSA locks. TSA has not require those locks in years. I asked TSA back in 2016 before my second trip about them and they told me regular padlocks are legit and I have used normal locks ever since. Putting TSA locks on your bags at this point is akin to not using locks since the thieves have the keys for TSA locks. If TSA looks at your bags they'll do it right in front of you and they'll either have you put the locks on or do it themselves. I've had both done, seems each airport does it a little different.

True, I realize the TSA keys are easy to obtain, but when I've been asked to open it, they did not have a key to do it, so I had to dig my key out and unlock it.
The one time it was opened when I was not present was in Atlanta. I had just left the first guy that I mentioned in my original post and he pointed me to the next check point where I was supposed to drop the case off so it could be sent to the next flight.
I went to the next check point and handed the case to the nice lady there. She told me she was going to open it later and I could go ahead and make my way to the departure gate. When I got to Houston and retrieved the bow case, the TSA lock indicated that it had been opened. I took the time to open it then before leaving the airport and found all of my gear still inside, along with a brightly colored piece of paper lying on top of my stuff with her information printed on it letting me know that this bag had been opened and inspected by her.
That was the TSA combination lock. She didn't know the combination, so she used her key to unlock it, thus the indicator letting me know it had been opened.
I've been told, and it is second, maybe third hand information, that there have been times when a regular lock was used and at some point during the journey, the lock was cut off so they could inspect the case. Nothing was taken from the case, it was just the only way that they could access it for inspection and they don't care if they ruined your lock or not.
In Chicago, they just ran all the cases through an X-Ray machine while I was standing there. She saw the bows, and no firearms, and told us we were clear to go and she sent the cases to the next flight.
The X-Ray machines are supposed to be installed at all the major airports in the near future, but I'm not sure if that is true.

I've been told, and it is second, maybe third hand information, that there have been times when a regular lock was used and at some point during the journey, the lock was cut off so they could inspect the case. Nothing was taken from the case, it was just the only way that they could access it for inspection and they don't care if they ruined your lock or not.

I wouldn't say many times but it does happen. In my trips I had it happen once. Never with my bow, but my rifle case was reopened and inspected in LA after the initial inspection. Apparently they loaded it on the wrong belt after that first inspection, it went through to some unsecure luggage area and when they realized the error it had to be reinspected to put it back onto the the aircraft. Anyway, they did cut my locks, snd then they relocked it with little TSA locks. So I will now alwaya have extra padlocks inside the case just in case, which I planned but forgot to do.

Make a arrow container out of 3inch pvc pipe. I usually take 7 arrows and put in my bow case. I take my my broads and wrap them in toilet paper then I stuff them into a old pill bottle. I take my bow sight off and wrap it bubble wrap. My first trip they cracked my skb bow case. My last trip they busted one the hinges off. I always take electric tape. Just in case i need to wrap my bow case up

Through Amsterdam and broadhead problems. I have done that and had broadheads in my bow case, had no issues, did not have to claim anything, my hassles were all on the USA side of things. Otherwise it was seamless. But always stressful. You will see on this site, we will get you all freaked out, how bad things can go. All the thieves and all the locks and all the custom guys and in SA all of the people looking for handouts. It's all true, but how often, I haven't seen it yet other than the US customs folks being the hassle for a bow. Once with the guns, our US border patrol wrote the one wrong letter wrong on a serial number for my gun, so it didn't match, that was a small pain. Cost me $40 to make sure that all inspecting could see the error, that I had nothing to do with.

Stay calm, watch your stuff, like a hawk. I use locks that force them to open them while I am there, I do not use TSA locks always. Six to one, half dozen to another. I use an SKB case, I pile tons of hunting clothes in there, keep things soft and bundled up.

Heading back over this later in fall, unsure if bow and gun or both. And my sensitivity to failure will be heightened again.

Keep asking about stuff, lot's of experience on here, dot the i's and cross the t's

Well, the first experience flying with archery gear was a success. I appreciate all the advice, particularly some of the insights Dee S shared. I clearly marked the case "No Guns" and "Archery Eqmt", which helped expedite a number of stops/conversations. I also wore an older pair of boots and left them with a tracker. This allowed me to completely skip the firearm/boot spray down line in Atlanta.

Glad the trip went well.

Well, the first experience flying with archery gear was a success. I appreciate all the advice, particularly some of the insights Dee S shared. I clearly marked the case "No Guns" and "Archery Eqmt", which helped expedite a number of stops/conversations. I also wore an older pair of boots and left them with a tracker. This allowed me to completely skip the firearm/boot spray down line in Atlanta.
I went through Atlanta again coming back in July. Same as before, I packed my arrows, heads, and boots in my checked bag. They opened the bow case, saw two bows, and closed it back up. They asked where my arrows, heads, and boots were and I told them they were in my big checked bagged sitting outside the inspection room. They told me I was good to go, have a nice flight, and I proceeded to the next flight. The guys in front of and behind me that had those items in their bows cases got the spray treatment. I was in and out of the glass room in under three minutes.
Glad something I posted helped you out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaun09

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles