How To Avoid A "Ringer"

I think the client having a knowledge of what is quality concerning animals they are pursuing is of value and does not interfere nor detract from the experience nor opportunities.
I would argue in the case of multiple targets that the client also being able to distinguish the best of a group makes communication easier and a wrong one being shot less likely. In the case of a quick encounter I have found that I am on the way to the shot as the sticks are being set up because I didn’t have to be convinced “it’s a good one”. It has also allowed me to make a quick call on animals not on my original list but seemed to good to pass up and after a quick consult with the PH and a plan have taken some nice animals.
To each their own but I derive more appreciation for the animal when I understand what I’m looking at.
For the record, I have never been let down by a PH nor ever felt the need to question but IMO opinion it’s like taking a friend deer hunting and they shoot a 200 scoring whitetail for their first deer and then they ask “is it a good one?”

If you as the client want to judge each animal you probably wont shoot much there wont be time
Usually while the client is getting ready for the shot the ph is judging
Then its “yes shoot” or “no dont shoot”
I agree with this completely. There have been a lot of comments in recent threads about how the client needs to be responsible for making sure it's exactly what they want in an animal and verifying that themselves before shooting. I don't agree with that.

I agree with what you said. I would add; I think the client's responsibility is to communicate with the PH in advance very clearly what they want to shoot, what they don't want to shoot, their interests in symmetry and size, broken or clean, etc. Then focus on making a good shot, while the PH is focusing on field judging and giving the green light.

As the client I’m paying for your expertise and knowledge.

We can both look for the trophy animal sought but it’s your job to assess its quality. My job is to then proceed to unalive said target.

Good communication between said client, me, and the PH, you, is what facilitates this. If I’m looking for a 120” Coues Deer I’m not going to be happy if all you keep showing me is spike horn and 80” dinks. I have the responsibility to make you aware of what I’m looking for. Your job is to use your knowledge and experience to put me in the best condition to make the aforementioned shot after we find said quadrupedal target.

I could write a book on this.

In today’s Africa, it goes both ways.

The client should at least be clued up enough to know what makes a decent trophy and what doesn’t.
The client should do enough homework to know what the trophy potential of his / her chosen area is.
The client must also communicate exactly what he / she is looking for / expecting with the outfitter and the PH.

If agreed to, the outfitter and PH are then responsible for making it happen.

Outfitters and PH’s are a dime a dozen, and everyone is open for business, so a uniformed client is an easy target.

It’s infuriating to see so many photos of poor uninformed Billy Bob grinning from ear to ear with his trophy Blue wildebeest that’s still so immature, that I wouldn’t shoot it for biltong.:mad:

. . . Rowland Ward´s minimum for a Cape Buffalo is 42 inches

It was, they now have a new way of measuring, which includes the boss measurements. Not sure if that makes it harder or easier to make book. I guess I will find out next summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarmaColvi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa