Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
My first shot on a buffalo in Tanzania turned out to be a disappointment. The only look I got at him was from behind. The PH said to take him as he turned broadside. I did, and he reared up like a horse, then ran off with two other compadres. When we caught up with him I was shocked at the ground shrinkage. He barely made 32" and this in an area where the trophy potential ran high. As we discussed the situation the PH said, "they always look bigger from the rear." True, but HE said to shoot what I deemed a marginal trophy, which was not my idea of his looking after my best interests! This was a two buff hunt and I made sure the second was exactly what I wanted. The PH tried to get me to shoot a couple of others that he thought looked good, but once burned, twice learned. (This was a donated hunt so...?)
The point of this thread is--WHAT ARE THE SIGNS TO WATCH OUT FOR? In my case, it was judging buffalo horns from the rear.
There are signs to watch out for if you A. want a good trophy, or B. want to avoid shooting a lesser trophy.
What are your guiding principles for judging Sable, Gemsbok, Kudu, Buffalo, etc.? What kind of observations would cause you to hesitate taking one of those animals?

Last edited:
I’m upfront with my PH and I discuss what I’m looking for with him. I’m more of an age and shape guy than an inches guy. I also look at tons of pictures of animals and decide what looks best to me. For instance I like narrow kudu with decent depth to the curls over wide kudu with the same curls. Of course some animals all have the same look like tsessebe so a couple of inches there will be important as long as it’s old. Kudu and buffalo come in all configurations so age and shape is the deciding factor for me. Just my personal opinion.

Good communication with your PH is key. If they think you are going to be happy with a 32" buff and you have 48" on your mind. You are not in the same zip code. Your expectations may be high for the area (in my case most of the time my wallet).

My first trip was for buff. We were 25 yards from one of the biggest body buff I have personally seen. The problem was one horn was worn down, Jacques knew I wanted symmetrical. The buff I took was what I wanted. Better horns smaller body. After he was on the ground, I contemplated on looking for that other one we passed on.

I interviewed a lot of PHs before I chose mine. Jacques knew what our expectations were. We have been twice with him. When we go back and it will be with Jacques again.

There are signs to watch out for if you A. want a good trophy, or B. want to avoid shooting a lesser trophy.
What are your guiding principles for judging Sable, Gemsbok, Kudu, Buffalo, etc.? What kind of observations would cause you to hesitate taking one of those animals?
This is for trophy hunters and not for a guy who does not care and will be happy with any representative animal.

Do not judge anything from the rear. Perhaps Warthogs. If the tusks are so wide they stick out the from the sides it is likely a monster.

Assess the animal in profile and from the front for a long time.

If the PH's eyes nearly bug out in honest amazement it is likely a great trophy.

Don't take shots without knowing what you are shooting.

Look at the bases - Secondary growth.
Look at every last picture and trophy you can get your eyes on.

Read the basics of trophy judging. There are plenty of threads.

Know what size you are after and what it looks like.

I'm only after a "good" trophy. Doesn't have to be anything great. PHs know that because it's the first thing they ask when I show up: "What exactly do you want this time?" My last time the answer was essentially whatever is available and needs to be shot. That made for a relaxing safari. I leave it up to PH to decide what's shootable. So far only one disappointment. That PH put me on the wrong animal and then tried to put the blame on me back at the lodge. I thought the animal did not look right and asked him TWICE to be sure before putting it down. He managed to kill half of his tip!

I would not shoot any animal that had only been sized up from the butt perspective. Well, maybe elk.

My first trip I was schooled up on most of my hit list with the exception of a Blesbok that I took thinking it was an ok animal but it actually qualified for the record book. My first buffalo was in extremely thick stuff and I could only make out his bosses occasionally and they were impressive. But my PH had already passed on nice bulls so I relied on his call for the buffalo and concentrated on making the shot in the small hole I had picked as his shoulder passed through it. He was massive.
After that trip I purchased the below book and wore it out studying it and found myself having much the same reactions as the PH since.
It’s pretty thorough from measurements to age. Being armed with this info has added to my enjoyment. Honestly, I felt undeserving of that Blesbok my first trip for not fully appreciating what quality he was at that moment. From now on I’ll know.

Attachments

• IMG_1082.png
    IMG_1082.png
    584.9 KB · Views: 32
The real question is how in the world can you (more importantly the PH) tell if a buffalo is hard bossed from behind? Other than a scrum, there is no way. Was it hard?

On my first trip my PH told me to shoot a kudu. With bare eyes I questioned him. Once I got him in the scope, I said, “Are you sure?” He exclaimed, “Yes, yes!” We walked up on it and after a couple days of talking about skinnies, I asked him if that was an HIV kudu? It was terribly beat down and was under 48 inches. Looked like it had the mange. When they opened him up at the skinning shed, it had a global infection. I ended up killing a healthy 56 inch a couple days later and there was no charge for the HIV kudu. I have since found an awesome PH. :)

Amazing, a Tanzanian PH has you shoot a 32 inch buff !

Aren´t they supposed to be the best of the best ?

Then some are criticizing RSA PH´s !

Rowland Ward´s minimum for a Cape Buffalo is 42 inches

When I hunt here at home, I first decide if it’s an animal I want to take, and second, concentrate on making the shot. In phase 2, I do NOT look at the horns. Instead, I focus on as tiny a spot as possible and make the shot.

In Africa, I explain to the PH what I’m after well before taking to the field. From then on, I outsource trophy assessment to him and focus only on making the shot. This means 2 things….first I put my total trust in the PH that the animal will meet my stated requirements…and secondly….I have zero grounds to gripe about it.

This has always worked. Probably because the 4 PHs I have hunted with have been truly solid professionals.

My first trip I was schooled up on most of my hit list with the exception of a Blesbok that I took thinking it was an ok animal but it actually qualified for the record book. My first buffalo was in extremely thick stuff and I could only make out his bosses occasionally and they were impressive. But my PH had already passed on nice bulls so I relied on his call for the buffalo and concentrated on making the shot in the small hole I had picked as his shoulder passed through it. He was massive.
After that trip I purchased the below book and wore it out studying it and found myself having much the same reactions as the PH since.
It’s pretty thorough from measurements to age. Being armed with this info has added to my enjoyment. Honestly, I felt undeserving of that Blesbok my first trip for not fully appreciating what quality he was at that moment. From now on I’ll know.

Thank you for this book suggestion @Vintageguy . Does it also have good info on visually aging elephant?

Amazing, a Tanzanian PH has you shoot a 32 inch buff !

Aren´t they supposed to be the best of the best ?

Then some are criticizing RSA PH´s !

Rowland Ward´s minimum for a Cape Buffalo is 42 inches
There are a lot of RSA PHs guiding in Tanzania and several South African outfitters operating there. You might be careful with your comments. I’d focus on the words it was an auction hunt.

Was this a management buffalo hunt for two buffs?

I don’t make an attempt to judge horns before I shoot. I’ve become more selective in the PHs and outfitters I’m willing to hunt with. I tell them what I’m looking for an trust their judgment. I’ve been in too many situations where I only have one or two seconds to shoot and the opportunity will be gone. It’s not a time to be questioning my PHs judgment on trophy quality. If I wanted to judge animals myself and discuss with PH during hunt and before shooting I’d be looking at thousands of trophy photos and Live Photos so I could recognize the characteristics I’m looking for.

Thank you for this book suggestion @Vintageguy . Does it also have good info on visually aging elephant?
It does have a section devoted to elephant.
The aging is subadult, young adults, adult, and old bulls. It also has information on sexing when you can’t see the obvious signs.

Study a lot of pictures and videos of the animals you intend to hunt. Then be realistic about what you want and discuss in great depth with your PH so all details of what you want and what the PH can deliver are on the table.

My next buff hunt is for 2 bulls in the Niassa, my PH and I have discussed in depth what I am coming there for. I'd love to take a bull over 40", and I'd also love to take one that is a scrum cap or similar busted up old bastard. I've already taken everything in between......a discussion like this can make a hunt go really well, but you have to have the discussion and you can't plead ignorance as to what you are looking through your binos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindiGlass

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe