How much wood could a woodchuck chuck...

Mark A Ouellette

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Benefactor
Hunted
Limpopo, Kalahari, Zimbabwe, Canada, USA
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a wookchuck could chuck wood?
“None if I see him first!”

As a farmboy in the 70's in Potter County Pennsylvania woodchucks were summer sport. Then, armed with a Remington 581 .22 (Two-two for my African friends) or my .30-06 deer rifle shooting chucks at seemingly long range was what young boys and old men would do after dinner on a summer evening.

As time passed and my shooting skills improved mostly thanks to High Power service rifle competition in the Marines. My summer woodchuck total hit 105 in 1988 in the Virginia countryside west of my duty station Quantico, combined with a week’s leave in hills of my native northcentral Pennsylvania. Oh to be that young again!

Presently living in lower Michigan there are woodchucks but not like when and where I was raised. This year I did battle with them as they invaded my shooting berm (backstop) comprised of many truckloads of topsoil atop a flat field of clay loam. Okay, which would any woodchuck rather make a home in? I get it but those grass grizzlies create Swiss cheese like safety hazards in my berm when I break out my 416’s and 458’s! So I kill them, 24 for 24 shot this year including one with a .22 Magnum pistol!

This is #24 for 2024, a 15-pound true ground hog! The rifle is a pre war, pre-64 Model 70 Winchester custom in .223 Remington chambered for .223 sporting a vintage Redfield 6-18x. A 50 gr V-Max put this hog down.
1725669806570.png

A good view from the top of my shooting berm...
1725671107098.png

Here’s the .22 Magnum S&W pistol and trophy. Nailed him at 60 yards!
1725669837301.png

Cooper Montana Varminter .17 HMR
1725671211702.png
1725669951504.jpeg

A pair on a good day!
1725669911895.png

An April snow storm in Michigan. This chuck didn't get the memo...
Rifle is a Ruger 77 in .22 Hornet.

1725670719694.jpeg

From 2023, a chuck shot with a custom Remington .22 LR
1725671291090.png

Finally, nostalgia from 1988. My venerable M98 with 26” Douglas barrel, Jaeger trigger, .22-250, sporting a 15x Unertl Ultra Varmint scope in northern Potter County Pennsylvania.
1725670176633.jpeg

My partial battery of chuck guns!
.25-06 Ruger 77V, My favorite M98 .22-250 that I bought in 84. A custom M98 .22-250. A Pre-64 M70 Winchester converted to .223. A Winchester M52 .22 shortened to 24" and in a heavy sporting stock. I have more...
1725671355974.png

Last edited:
Mighty fine shootin'! I used to average over a hundred a year but the coyotes, foxes and wall to wall crop fields have put a crimp in those numbers. In the '60s I used an R700 Sendero in 22-250 but now it's
a 17 Fireball rifle, 20 Practical and 17HMR rifles and pistols.

Nice shooting Mark!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than 6 in a year anywhere. I can’t imagine 100+

I’ve only killed 2 to date, both at my current house. First one was 2 years ago with a 22, and this year was with a bow through my kitchen window.

Mighty fine shootin'! I used to average over a hundred a year but the coyotes, foxes and wall to wall crop fields have put a crimp in those numbers. In the '60s I used an R700 Sendero in 22-250 but now it's
a 17 Fireball rifle, 20 Practical and 17HMR rifles and pistols.
I miss the days before coyotes. Loved hunting them here in Virginia.

I miss the days before coyotes. Loved hunting them here in Virginia.
There weren't many in lower Michigan a decade ago. Then the nighttime coyote competitions started! Now I have rabbits, turkeys, and woodchucks thanks to, at least I think, the coyote boys!

My venerable M98 with 26” Douglas barrel, Jaeger trigger, .22-250, sporting a 15x Unertl Ultra Varmint scope
Hey! I’ve got a Paul Jaeger rifle in .243 Win. It came with a Unertl scope, even! It has a Canjar trigger in it and it shoots well. I need to drag it out, even if I don’t have wood chucks to shoot at. I’m sure I can find a feral hog just asking for it.

Beautiful place you have there.

Ed Z

I use to shoot a lot more than I do now as a kid. Unfortunately now there is a lot more corn for ethanol and a lot less hay. No change in population though in western PA. There is no better safari practice than walking field lines with a rifle and sticks.

Nice, looks like a blast. Out here in MT we have to focus on gophers, technically some species of ground squirrel. They make great practice in the spring with a .17 HMR or .17WSM. We shoot them out to about 200 yards but most are within 100 yard shots. We try to outdo each other by getting 2 or 3 lines up to get with one shot. When the babies start coming out you can usually get many multiples as they all gather around the den hole looking out, get one and the blast can take out the whole clan. Our hay farmers around here beg us to come shoot them in the spring, they are hell on hay fields and haying equipment with their burrowing. I’ve been able to shoot 5-600 rounds in a day with about a 75-80% kill rate meaning I can take out about 400 of them in a days shoot. We just drive out into hay field in early spring as the hay is just coming up, sit in my old Suburban and shoot from a bean bag rest on the window frame. Get about 30 in that spot then move down 75 yards and go at em again. Tons of fun.

Anyone know the difference in hitting a gopher with a .17HMR versus a .17 WSM? The HMR flips them about 2 feet into the air, the WSM flips them about 5-6.feet into the air

Nice, looks like a blast. Out here in MT we have to focus on gophers, technically some species of ground squirrel. They make great practice in the spring with a .17 HMR or .17WSM. We shoot them out to about 200 yards but most are within 100 yard shots. We try to outdo each other by getting 2 or 3 lines up to get with one shot. When the babies start coming out you can usually get many multiples as they all gather around the den hole looking out, get one and the blast can take out the whole clan. Our hay farmers around here beg us to come shoot them in the spring, they are hell on hay fields and haying equipment with their burrowing. I’ve been able to shoot 5-600 rounds in a day with about a 75-80% kill rate meaning I can take out about 400 of them in a days shoot. We just drive out into hay field in early spring as the hay is just coming up, sit in my old Suburban and shoot from a bean bag rest on the window frame. Get about 30 in that spot then move down 75 yards and go at em again. Tons of fun.

Anyone know the difference in hitting a gopher with a .17HMR versus a .17 WSM? The HMR flips them about 2 feet into the air, the WSM flips them about 5-6.feet into the air
Interestingly with groundhogs the difference between a 223 and a 375 is they will often run after being hit with the 375 but not the 223. Tough bullets designed for DG don’t open up on them and don’t impart any energy into them along the bullet path. Softer rounds designed to expand rapidly generally drop them on the spot. They are good hunting practice but teach a lot of bullet lessons too.

Didn't know they were quite that big! Looks like fine sport almost maybe marginal with 22lr?

Thanks for the memories Mark. I learned to shoot on groundhogs in southern Ontario. Don’t believe I’ve ever seen a fifteen pounder though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KlaudiaCha

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]