How far can you expect to shoot an elephant?

And that in big letters the outfit is mentioned. I would ask very politely if it was my company that they would remove that.

He says side brain shot and the dude shoots when he sees his ass. What a moron..
I agree in principal, but might be a bit kinder in practice. He should not have taken the hip shot as a first shot, but then I'd have thought that Buzz would have said "don't shoot' once the brain shot (or the heart lung) was no longer an option. It's very easy to get excited when staring down the barrel, and especially so when the target is an elephant and you're worried (as the hunter said he was) that it might get away. So I'll cut him some slack.

There are not many more experienced elephant hunters than Buzz Charlton, so I'm a bit wary of sounding critical, but he himself says towards the end of the video that the was surprised when the hunter took the shot.

I agree in principal, but might be a bit kinder in practice. He should not have taken the hip shot as a first shot, but then I'd have thought that Buzz would have said "don't shoot' once the brain shot (or the heart lung) was no longer an option. It's very easy to get excited when staring down the barrel, and especially so when the target is an elephant and you're worried (as the hunter said he was) that it might get away. So I'll cut him some slack.

There are not many more experienced elephant hunters than Buzz Charlton, so I'm a bit wary of sounding critical, but he himself says towards the end of the video that the was surprised when the hunter took the shot
You are right. Made some bad shots myself when gotten too excited. On the other hand I would not be posting those on YouTube.

You are right. Made some bad shots myself when gotten too excited. On the other hand I would not be posting those on YouTube.
I've posted some bad shots I think (I've certainly written about them) . . . but more to show what can happen - I haven't been very proud of any of them!

I shot mine at around 20 yards. Side brain shot with a 375. Would have been an easy shot with a double as well. Where we hunted, unless you were near the shore of Lake Karina, or walking up a river, you wouldn’t be able to see an elephant much further than 30 yards or so in the thick stuff. And even then it’s difficult to see the size of the elephant you’re stalking. We were after tuskless, so we had to get really close to determine if they had no tusks, and/or if they had a dependent calf. If you can shoot your double well at 40 yards or under, I’d say you’re just fine.

Here’s one. I only remembered because I was so shocked to see an elephant taken at that distance. South African PH with a local Zimbabwe PH it seems.
This shows what a properly placed 375 can do. I doubt a larger caliber would’ve done any better under those circumstances. This is seemingly very open country, so definitely different from anywhere I’ve hunted buffalo or elephant. In the thick country that I’ve hunted, and especially when around a bunch of cranky cow elephant, I’d feel better with a larger caliber to be sure. But this shows that shot placement is king.

lol. Buzz handled that like a pro. I feel confident he wasn’t expecting that bozo to shoot.
I was really impressed with how it only took him about a half second to recover from what had to have been a very strong “WTF?!!” Reaction to calmly encouraging the hunter and sorting things out. That is extreme professionalism!

Buzz is an extremely good pro as we know. Not sure why that video is up. If you haven't read Buzz's book, there are some great stories there of good and bad experiences.

First - Ask your PH - You can't "guess" as to what might be the typical range for taking an elephant in the area where you will be hunting. It all depends on where you hunt.

I would prefer to take an elephant with my .470 NE DR, but I would not want to take a shot over 50m, with my open sighted setup.

If the situation might call for a more distant shot or an obscured shot, where I might have to aim through a small hole in bush, I would want a scoped bolt action.

My Caprivi bull was at 20, maybe 30 yards. At times, were were within 10 yards. That is an experience I won’t forget anytime soon! We had one decent bull at about 60 yards and my PH wouldn’t even think about it.

That's one of the big differences (of many) in hunting buff vs ele. At 50-60 yards, the ele hunt is just beginning instead of ending. I love them both but they are not the same experience.

I would greatly prefer a shot under 50 yards. I would flat out refuse a 100+ yard shot.

As for the video where the guy started with a hip shot, clearly a case of being overexcited. At least it appears the animal was properly down in the end.

I would do my practicing off sticks at 40 meters. In our bush most shots take place at less than 25 metrrs.

Lon

Elephant are a close up hunt. I would refuse an initial shot over 50 yards and much prefer 20-30 yards.

40 yards
IMG_1377.jpeg

32 yards
IMG_1790.jpeg

The late white hunter & Tanzanian game ranger Terry Irwin always used to tell me “The trick to successfully hunting elephant, is to try to get as close to them as possible. And then close in another five yards“.

50 yards is a long shot for an elephant, regardless of the cartridge or rifle/sighting system.

If it was my first elephant hunt, I’d be practicing off sticks out to 50 yards to make a closer shot less difficult and I’d be practicing mostly off sticks but also offhand to simulate follow up shots. I’ve only shot 2 elephant bulls, at 9 and 25 yards, and suggest you also try to prepare mentally for how intense this experience can be. There is nothing else like hunting a big elephant bull up-close.

I've killed one elephant on a nuisance/injured tag back in 2021. He had a injured leg and wasn't going to survive much longer. I got within about 30 yards for a side head shot with a 375 h-h. 2 shots he was down.

Ironically I just returned from Zambia. An elephant showed up at my camp one morning. Actually elephants were coming through the entire time. This particular guy he was drinking from a watering hole right next to my chalet that morning. I walked to within 38 yards of him and took some good photos & videos. I'm confident with sticks I could have made a good brain shot. He was just standing there looking at me like I was an alien or something before he moved behind that limb. Nice young bull. You can't see it here but there was a small pond/watering hole between us so I knew I was safe from a charge. I left him alone & he went back to his mud bath.

The key to shooting an elephant as one PH has repeatedly said, practice practice, & practice shooting your weapon & confidence in your weapon. You're going to have to get close no doubt about it no such thing as long range shooting with elephants.
DSC_0017.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorneliusC

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on BushPig1963's profile.
Btw .. he has physically beat, abused verbally, mentally, financially abused women and in every way imaginable. Fact check, background check. He is HORRIBLE!!!
I am tired of him blowing up lives and walking off into the sunset leaving destruction in his wake. Over here in the US... Not in Africa...just so you know. I was not his victim but know some of them.
expoB wrote on BushPig1963's profile.
Senga Senga MZ . US rep Brad Joseph Clemens is involved! Con artist, owes people money. Pathological liar. Lies w/out remorse and convincingly.Doesn't reside in Oregon, he is FROM Oregon. Was living in Great falls MT til mid march... Disappeared recently.Believe a word he says & be played a fool! 1st hand knowledge. He is convicted felon. This is why he bow hunts. can't own a gun! background chk! MONSTER
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Btw.... Brad Clemens took deposit money from Dy
. Brad was living in Great Falls as of a few months ago. He keeps running and hiding. Sound familiar. None of you posting have any idea what is really going on. Brad is a pathological liar. Don't believe any quote or anything that comes out of his mouth. He is a horrible person...1st hand knowledge and his name is toxic to many in the hunting world.
We have been very busy hunting! Lots of pictures and videos in process!