How effective is the 25-06 with either of these bullets?

The 25-06 is probably the most underrated hunting cartridge in the world!
Here in SA, the cartridge has a very small, but loyal fan base.
Actually; more like a cult following…

To a man, every 25-06 cult member that I’ve met have a few things in common.
1: They are all expert hand-loaders.
2: They are all very experienced hunters.
3: They can all read wind and mirage like a book.
4: They are all phenomenal marksmen!

It’s amazing to see what a 100gr Matchking between a kudu or eland bull’s eyes at 400 yards can do. The eyes pop out of their sockets, the horns collapse inward and the trees behind look like a Jackson Pollock painting.
I’d imagine that a SST would have the same effect on an elk if placed in the same spot.
@FlyGuy
My ph uses the 25-06 on leopard with great success. Says it drops them in their tracks
Bob

Where I hunted in South Africa there were respectable Kudu Bulls on display.

Both were taken with a Sako .25-06, both were hunted by a female. It seems the outfitters wife Clare was an expert shot too.

On another note there are some restrictions on minimum calibre for certain deer species in Australia. One I am sure of is that Victoria requires a minimum of .270 calibre to hunt Sambar. A large bodied deer. Our largest species .

There are guidelines set by DPI in NSW for almost all hunt able species and pests but those are only guidelines set out to guide shooters and pest officers.

I hear there are small populations of Wapiti (Elk) in NSW.

.25-06 is certainly underrated and those that have them love them.

Hornsby SST are considered a good hunting projectile
@CBH Australia
Everything I've shot with my 25 using a 117gn SST has not moved when it was hit. Leaving the barrel at 3,300+ fps it flies flat and hits hard.
There ain't no flies on a 25-06 with a 100gn TTSX at 3,400fps either at 3,600fps they is even goodera.
Bob

I’ve hunted Elk extensively in Arizona and New Mexico… My brother is a Guide and Outfitter in New Mexico in the Gila National forest for over 20 years now!
There is NO WAY I’d recommend a 25-06 for Elk! No way!
These are some of the toughest animals on earth that spend all day running up and down steep mountains! And they can take a serious hit and run for longer than you think! They will end up deep in a canyon or bog and will be difficult to retrieve!
I love the 25-06, for Proghorn and deer but please get something larger for Elk!

@CBH Australia
Everything I've shot with my 25 using a 117gn SST has not moved when it was hit. Leaving the barrel at 3,300+ fps it flies flat and hits hard.
There ain't no flies on a 25-06 with a 100gn TTSX at 3,400fps either at 3,600fps they is even goodera.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen - Bob, I had to read your post twice because I was “shocked” that you shoot anything less then .35 caliber….even for rabbits & kangaroo. Be very careful with those SUB.35 calibers even if they are just “deformed bastards” from a .30-06 case —they can become addictive and soon have you messing with a .308…and you know where that-could-lead???

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen - Bob, I had to read your post twice because I was “shocked” that you shoot anything less then .35 caliber….even for rabbits & kangaroo. Be very careful with those SUB.35 calibers even if they are just “deformed bastards” from a .30-06 case —they can become addictive and soon have you messing with a .308…and you know where that-could-lead???
Bob’s travelling, he is searching every backwater for CFE223

He has mongrelised the .303 case so no doubt he can come up with a bastardised.308 except you Mr Nelson won’t let him him f@&k with his because like little bears porridge he thinks it’s just right.

A long time ago I wanted to have a .308 necked down to .270 and I’m sure it’s been done. I eventually got a 7mm-08 and used it a lot.

In a lightweight short action rifle the 7mm-08 would be just right but I bet Bob would rather collect all the .243’s and neck them up to .257 because you know life starts at .25

Bob’s travelling, he is searching every backwater for CFE223

He has mongrelised the .303 case so no doubt he can come up with a bastardised.308 except you Mr Nelson won’t let him him f@&k with his because like little bears porridge he thinks it’s just right.

A long time ago I wanted to have a .308 necked down to .270 and I’m sure it’s been done. I eventually got a 7mm-08 and used it a lot.

In a lightweight short action rifle the 7mm-08 would be just right but I bet Bob would rather collect all the .243’s and neck them up to .257 because you know life starts at .25
Starts at .25 and moves at 3800 fps. :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TERPZ

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.