How dangerous are the ‘Big Five’?

Screenshot_20230526_073411_Firefox.jpg
Lots of good advice. This helps explain why.

Much appreciated! I just assumed they were one in the same...That adds a new wrinkle..
I think you essentially have to go into an elephant hunt assuming you won’t ever bring your trophy to the USA. The outfitter I’m hunting with next year has had some success getting trophies imported, but they’ve also had the area over 10 years, have documented anti-poaching and area improvements so I’m hoping I have a better chance than others to get my trophy home if I decide to try.

View attachment 541288Lots of good advice. This helps explain why.

A nice chart that but is only useful if an animal runs towards me. It also depends on how and under which circumstances you are attacked. If I am suddenly attacked, in particular from behind as can be the case with big cats, this chart is in my opinion not particularly useful.

There is a recent buffalo bull charge posted on the “big bore rifles - Africa » group on Facebook, that would be great to show in this thread. Unfortunately my skills to post the video directly here are too limited.

It is Buzz Charlton and a client in the aforementioned buffalo charge video:

What is the difference between non exportable and non importable?

Non-exportable means no export permits will be issued by country you hunted it in
Non-importable means the country you hunted it will issue the export permits but the chance of being approved to bring to USA on case by case basis is zero
Thanks for answering @375Fox very well put.

I would just add to be careful on buying an "exportable" or "fully exportable" hunt. Oftentimes the Outfitter or PH or even Agent selling these does not fully understand the rules for "Importing" to another country and they may, especially if newer to the business, believe that anything is doable by applying the right amount of "grease". And unfortunately some can be a bit obstinate or careless in their paperwork.

African Operators are also notorious for messing up paperwork procedures. And the USA Government is notorious for having paperwork that is very confusing and then being anal about how it is filled out.

So in my opinion the average Trophy Hunter is well served by hiring the best import agents to manage the paperwork and process for them.

For elephant and lion, there is probably no better than John Jackson. I am using Wyatt Fetner with Safari Specialty Importers. Check with your Import Agent before booking your hunt.

My first trip is coming up and have really learned a lot over the last year or so. I really like Wyatt and feel in good hands with SSI.

Rubi 300 You may want to consider the Save in Zimbabwe it is one million acres fenced and I believe they have all of the big 5 there.They have very nice camps for the family and plains game hunts there can be very reasonable also having the chance to be around dangerous game to see how you feel about it.

Well, after getting back I can confirm/debunk a few things:

Yes, there is DG in with the PG and you might run into them.

No, they don't just blindly charge. 99.9% of the time everything will be just fine and they run away.

Yes, there are much smaller, much scarier things, that you need to pay attention for while walking in the bush. See below.

Snake.jpg

As @BeeMaa stated, become absolutely proficient with your 375 or 416!!! Let's make that PROFICIENT (as me yelling it!). And YOUR rifle.

With dummy rounds with the same bullets you will hunt with, shoulder and dry fire, and cycle the action to load another round and repeat. Do that a thousand times at a buffalo or other dangerous game target and you will be ready! Safari Press sells good DG practice targets.

Here is my basement practice target. Notice the array of hunting stuff and ammo. It may be a little disorganized but I can stand back 25 feet and dry fire all night long!

View attachment 514581
Looks like my world, " the African Man Cave"

Well, after getting back I can confirm/debunk a few things:

Yes, there is DG in with the PG and you might run into them.

No, they don't just blindly charge. 99.9% of the time everything will be just fine and they run away.

Yes, there are much smaller, much scarier things, that you need to pay attention for while walking in the bush. See below.

View attachment 541379
DG on South African farms is more the exception than the rule. Most farms will only have plains game because easier and safer to keep. Very few will have elephants because damage they will do. Almost none will have lions because costly to maintain and fencing requirements. Buffalo would be the most common, but again will require a better fence than most. The more commercialized the hunting in that area the more farms with buffalo I would expect. Many of these will only have bulls bought from breeding operations and allowed to grow on property. The farms with self sustaining breeding herds would be much less.

DG on South African farms is more the exception than the rule. Most farms will only have plains game because easier and safer to keep. Very few will have elephants because damage they will do. Almost none will have lions because costly to maintain and fencing requirements. Buffalo would be the most common, but again will require a better fence than most. The more commercialized the hunting in that area the more farms with buffalo I would expect. Many of these will only have bulls bought from breeding operations and allowed to grow on property. The farms with self sustaining breeding herds would be much less.

Yup generally my experience. RSA is going to be buffalo. There are leopard, which I think most people know. White and supposedly, black rhino. I do know for a fact there are hippo on the properties bordering the rivers. No elephants or lions.

As mentioned, the only thing that made me nervous was the snakes. We saw enough to realize they were there. After seeing the puff adder I paid very close attention to where I stepped during stalks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brym427

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?